Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What Kind Of Gear Do You Have (Read 3821 times)
oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

What Kind Of Gear Do You Have
Oct 16th, 2008 at 3:32am

Since I have been picking up the guitar again on a regular basis, I was wondering what kind of guitars and amps some of the musicians here have. Go into specific details if you feel like it, such as year of guitar, color, make and model of amplifier, etc.

IP Logged

Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
Re: What Kind Of Gear Do You Have
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 10:59am

Very cool post you started,oldfriend.Good to talk shop with other players.
I have been playing since I was 8 years old,and have had countless equipment over the years,so I'll just stick to what I have now.
My main 6 string electric is a black Fender Telecaster,as far as I can tell it is a mid-80's model.
My prized posession is a Beatle Hofner Bass that I have owned for over 20 years now.Hofner does not have serial numbers,so it's either a late 70's or early 80's model.
My latest purchase was just last year.I have always wanted a 12 string Rickenbacker,but to spend  $1600 on a guitar that you only use on certain songs seemed ridiculous to me.So,I did some research and found a company in New Hampshire that imports copies from Korea.So,I purchased a 12-string from them,that looks alot like a Rickenbaker for just over 400 bucks.Then a bought a compression pedal called a "Janglebox" that makes any guitar sound exactly like a Rickenbacker.Saved myself 1,000 dollars,and I love the guitar,and the sound.
The only amp I own now is a 40 watt Mini-Marshall,which is fine,since I don't play live with other people much anymore.And believe me,the 40 watt is plenty loud !!
What do you currently play?
                         Kevin64

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 10:23pm

I still have my 70 Strat. Maple neck and used to be cream colored but has faded over the years to almost yellow. Have an Ibanez Talman that I got years ago used. Don't know the year. It's one of the few (or maybe only) Ibanez guitars that uses single coil pickups. They are lipstick single coils that look real cool. This guitar has a 5 position toggle switch and sounds very similar to a Strat. It's powder blue. Just picked up a used mint condition Telecaster that belonged to an uncle of one of my son's friends. It's red and was customized with EMG pickups and has a Bigsby tremelo arm. Has some extra tone controls which are used as mid range boosts. You can fatten up the tone or leave it sounding twangy. Also has a five way toggle switch.  Also, Rich had an Epiphone sunburst Les Paul Juinor that he wanted to just dump so he sold it to me for a hundred bucks. This guitar screams! It has some kind of humbuckers that sound great. I'm playing all these guitars through my Peavey 5150 combo with a 4 twelve 515 extension cabinet. I can't turn this rig up past 3 without shattering windows. Has GREAT tone. Also have a 65 blackface Fender Super Reverb in great shape and a 69 silverface Fender Super Reverb in mint shape. Got it from an old friend who has since passed on. He didn't play it for over thirty years. Still have my Vox Continental organ as well which I love!. I could right another whole post just on all of the equipment I've had stolen over the years.

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2008 at 11:44pm

Well for starters for any of you Cheap Trick fans I have Jon Brants Red 12 string bass in my basement, and it's for sale. My old bandmate is selling it and I have it, so I could document the bass for www.12stringbass.net. You can see info and pics at the site and his email address.

My collection is a mix and match of stuff, mostly bass related.

1940's Acoustic short scale guitar (no name, no clue, it was my dad's guitar)
1968 Framus Electric Madolin
1976 Rickerbacker 4001
1978 P bass - Frestless
1985 Spector NS2
1986 Hamer 12 String Bass (acoustic style)
1990's Dano Long Horn
1990's Dano 6 string bass
Fender BG29 Acoustic Bass
2007 Waterstone TP 12 string bass
2006 Waterstone Ozone 12 string bass (currently being made plaid-hopefull will return home it's been 8 months on the promised 8 week makeover)

1965 Magnatone M12 amp
Ampeg 350 head
Fender Bullet
Furman PQ3
DOD Crossover
BGW 250
QSC 1151
2 Bag End cabs w/15" EVM
1 Carlson Cabinet w/15" EVM (belonged to Jon Brant from Cheap Trick - Second cab stolen)
Sun 2 x 12" cabinet
Some other off brand power amps laying around in the basement too

IP Logged

Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 9:57am

oldfriend wrote on Oct 19th, 2008 at 10:23pm:
Still have my Vox Continental organ as well which I love!. I could right another whole post just on all of the equipment I've had stolen over the years.

Oldfriend,is the Vox Continental you have one of those classic 60's organs that The Beatles and DC5 used with the chrome legs?

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 12:37pm

Absolutley. By the way, that should have been "write" not "right" on my last post. But as far as the Continental, I had it tweaked and fine tuned several years ago and it sounds great. The legs could use a little polish, but they still fit. NOTHING sounds like a Continental. I love playing that thing.

IP Logged

RicBassGuy
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 4:21am

Hi oldfriend!

Here's what I'm gigging with:
1999 Rickenbacker 4003 mapleglo
Hartke 3500 + Hartke 410 Transporter

For open mikes I usually play acoustic, either an Ovation Elite LX or a no-brand A-style mandolin.
For electrics I have a black Magnum LP copy and an Epiphone Mandobird.

The newest addition is an unpaired 8-string bass made by Galveston. The middle 4 strings are the
same as a regular 4-string bass, plus a low F#B and a high CF. I played this beast for a show at
the Trinity House Theater earlier this year.

Rich seemed to like my Ric when he played it.

--Eric

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 4:25am

RicBassGuy wrote on Nov 16th, 2008 at 4:21am:
Hi oldfriend!

Here's what I'm gigging with:
1999 Rickenbacker 4003 mapleglo
Hartke 3500 + Hartke 410 Transporter

For open mikes I usually play acoustic, either an Ovation Elite LX or a no-brand A-style mandolin.
For electrics I have a black Magnum LP copy and an Epiphone Mandobird.

The newest addition is an unpaired 8-string bass made by Galveston. The middle 4 strings are the
same as a regular 4-string bass, plus a low F#B and a high CF. I played this beast for a show at
the Trinity House Theater earlier this year.

Rich seemed to like my Ric when he played it.

--Eric

LOL!!!!
You may need to re-introduce yourself!

RicBassGuy is "Mr. Pinkbubelz" (my hubby)....

BTW-- His band, Ask Alice is coming up to their 1 year anniversary of gigging around the NorthWest/Southwest side of the Detroit Area.....
They will be at Mr. Bill's in Belleville, MI this weekend... Sometimes LMK makes it out here to see us, and of course we'd love to see any other Romantics Fans, too! Smiley  Here's a link to their website: www.myspace.com/askaliceband

IF anyone does make it out, please re-introduce yourself to Eric and me. Smiley (I'll be the one with the email list.)

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 8:26am

For the first time in my life, I own more than one guitar at a time. Just picked up another one. My son has been selling a bunch of guitars on Ebay, since he decided that for the time being he ONLY needs four or five at a time right now. He had a guitar up for sale on Ebay that he used for one recording session and never played out with it. I tried it through my 5150 combo and that was it. I outbid everyone on Ebay and got it for a great price. It is a Fernandes Native Pro. Black with white pick guard. Real cool body style. And the sound! It SCREAMS and yet has a very clear clean sound, and it sounds SO fat and full it is unbelievable. I love this guitar! Can't wait to finish rehearsing this new band, the only problem being, we need a singer! One who could play guitar would be nice. And if he could also play harmonica, that would be a tremendous bonus, considering the obscure bluesy rock material we are rehearsing(late 60s early 70s era). Hey Wally, got time for a side project?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.