Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Current Drummer? (Read 1548 times)
knownote
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Current Drummer?
Aug 19th, 2008 at 3:53am

Is Brad Elvis still the current drummer?

If so, on tour does he sing back up with them, or just drum?

I remember listening to the Elvis Brothers back in the 80's, and his latest band, the Handcuffs is pretty cool too.

Joe

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Current Drummer?
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 4:59am

Brad Elvis is the drummer for the Romantics.  As for singing, he's the busiest and most entertaining drummer I've ever seen, and does not have time to sing.  Wally handles most of the vocals with Mike singing lead on at least two songs per set.  dennis

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 11:55am

Totally Agree with Dennis!  Brad is a lot of fun to watch! and if he sees you with a camera, you'll see him smile at you! Wink

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 10:59am

Okay,I know I'm going to take some heat from some fans,but I have to get this off my chest.I have been a  die-hard Romatics fan since 1980.Brad is a great drummer,great showman,but I've never thought he was the right drummer for their music.He's a little bit too much of a player who is all over the drum kit,(kind of like a Keith Moon type player) For the type of music The Romantics play,I've always felt they need a heavy-hitting drummer who sticks to 4/4 time,like Jimmy and Clem.
I'm not saying Brad isn't as good as Jimmy or Clem,but to me his style takes something away from the songs.I mean no disrespect to Brad whatsoever,he's a talented drummer,and from what I have heard one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.
It's only my opinion,but I'm curious to see if any other fans understand what I mean.
Comments?

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:36am

I can't recall ever hearing the Romantics play a Waltz 3/4 beat or an Ooompaa 2/4 Polka beat. As far as the songs go, from what I have heard, and have seen with Brad on drums, he plays them just as loud and close to the recordings as the songs were created. Yes, he moves his arms about and shows-off (very Keith Moon like and he was the best), but nothing off time. I do like that you don't get to see Jimmy's hairy armpits anymore. That was kind of gross for me, but I'm a guy. It's possible that the ladies liked to see two sleeping black cats glued under Jimmy's pits each night.

I do miss Jimmy's vocals, and Rich. They had a great harmony with the original line up and that has not been matched since the changes in the band. If you saw the band play Gimme One More Chance or When I look In Your Eyes during the early 80's you were really blown away by the vocal ability of the group. I know I was.

So, my view is I miss the vocal more than I miss the drums. That's my turn to stir the pot or top for you dyslexic folks.

IP Logged

Rob

Don't you put me on hold!

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2008 at 11:03am

Jimmy was a personality all his own. If you ever saw The Romantics live with Jimmy (I did twice), then you know exactly what I mean, no explanation needed. That being said, Brad Elvis is extremely talented and fun to watch, and is a perfect fit  for the band.

IP Logged

mymeka

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2008 at 8:12am

Kevin64, don't mean to be controversial (although it wouldn't be the first time  Wink), but I thought that Jimmy added an incredible appeal to the boys, and was an amazing drummer - DEFINATELY a personality all his own.  I remember David Petratos, but not all that well, and then Clem stepped in - I thought he was equally as amazing!

Those were the days !

Lori

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2008 at 5:48am

The great thing about the Romantics' drummers is that all have had different styles.  Jimmy was indeed a showman.  I've referred to Clem as being "scary good" due to his powerful, physical drumming style.  David is a bit hard to comment on because I never saw anything really distinctive.  I do remember bristling when I heard him singing lead on some of Jimmy's show pieces, especially Rock You Up.  Brad embodies the best of Ringo and Keith Moon.  He is at once an entertaining showman and kickass drummer.  I especially love it when he bashes the cymbals, showing no mercy.  And then there is Johnny B.  Though I guess I never appreciated him as a drummer, I do appreciate him for his loyalty to the Romantics during their lean years, playing for the small audiences and helping the band to keep touring.  I think it is testimony to the legacy the Romantics have created that they keep attracting such top notch drummers.  So, I do not wax too nostalgic, but I am greatful that I got to see each of the drummers  mentioned play with the Romantics.  dennis

IP Logged

Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 11:07am

rockford_boy wrote on Sep 18th, 2008 at 2:36am:
I can't recall ever hearing the Romantics play a Waltz 3/4 beat or an Ooompaa 2/4 Polka beat. As far as the songs go, from what I have heard, and have seen with Brad on drums, he plays them just as loud and close to the recordings as the songs were created. Yes, he moves his arms about and shows-off (very Keith Moon like and he was the best), but nothing off time.

Glad to see some comments about this.I have seen all of The Romatics drummers live,except for Johnny Bee (big regret,I would have loved to see him play with them).
Not sure what what rockford boy means about waltz beats and oompa beats,but I guess he missed my point.Yes,Brad plays loud,but he plays nowhere near the original recordings.And that's okay,every drummer has a different style.My point was I miss having the boys having a heavy hitting drummer,without all the drum fills and cymbal hits during the songs.It takes some power away from the songs live,in my opinion.It's okay to critique bands or players you really like.Hey,even I think some Beatle songs are pretty bad !!!!!

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 9:21pm

There is only one Jimmy Marinos.  No one will ever be able to step into his place in this band and replicate what he added to the band's sound and the show.  He was one of a kind.

That being said, I think that Brad is an awesome fit.  Although he can't sing, I think that his drumming style fits the band better than Clem's (he sounded a bit too poppy--more like Ringo--when I saw him live with the band) Brad can pound hard with the best of them.  He blows me away every time with "Stone Pony". 

But, yeah, I still miss Jimmy.

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 10:21pm

Was watching some of one of the riverfront shows the other day, and you can't help but notice Brad. He has chops galore. If someone had to step in for Jimmy, you couldn't do better than Brad. The guy is awesome and a great showman. Always right on the money.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 3:52am

Quote:
If so, on tour does he sing back up with them, or just drum?

when does brad "just drum"?

truer words were never spoken oldfriend.  brad has been great since he came on board.  i never missed clem...not ever.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2008 at 11:51am

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Blondie...  Clem was a good drummer...and nice enough (maybe a bit too laid back?), but Brad's energy is really awesome to watch!!!  Smiley

I've only seen Jimmy live once, and unfortunately, it wasn't on the drums, so I can't comment from a live point of view...
Never did see David Petratos, and I "think" it was Johnny B who played with them back when I saw them sometime around 1988 or 89 or so (can't really remember... it was so long ago and at that time, I was just glad to see them live, even though it wasn't Jimmy....

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

RicBassGuy
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2008 at 5:23am

I've never been disappointed watching The Romantics live with Brad on drums. No, he's not a Jimmy
clone, but then who is? Brad brings his own thing to the table, and with him The Romantics are very
entertaining. Does he play note-for-note from the recordings? I don't know; I'm having too much
fun to notice.

Brad's philosophy on songwriting fits right in with The Romantics. And he seems like a great guy to
work with. Amazing chops, too. What's not to like?

Would you rather see Meg White (White Stripes) or Neil Peart (Rush) with The Romantics? Both
are successful drummers but I don't see either as a good match for The Romantics. In fact, the more
I see them with Brad the harder it is for me to imagine them with any other drummer.

Kudos to dennis for being first to mention Johnny Bee. Great guy, great musician, great drummer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.