Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question (Read 1251 times)
Drummerwife
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Question
Apr 7th, 2008 at 9:13pm

I'v just read in my state of Maryland the lawmakers have agreed to protect music groups from musical impersonators "Truth in Music" law with fines up to $15,000.  Is this because of the lawsuit that Wally and The Romantics had, if so, that is wonderful.
I remember reading something about Wally winning a lawsuit something like this.  Just wondering.
Drummerwife

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Question
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 9:54am

I don't think it relates to that matter. There have been "so-called" groups doing the festival route for years that bought the name of former "real" groups. There was a 20/20 story on the issue and I only recall the song "I'm Telling You Now", I think that was Freddie and the Dreamers. Anyhow, another group was using their name, and telling stories of meeting all these UK invasion legends and playing shows with them blah blah blah, and none of it was true. The "real" group didn't have the rights to their name, so they lost out on some decent cash for many years.

A scummy situation like that is not that uncommon. The real L7 is from Rockford, IL and even had an EP released in the very early 80's. That was after playing for many years as L7 throughout the midwest. One of their former mgt took the name and gave it to a girl group in California. The midwest group didn't have  the money to fight for their legal name, eventhough they had several releases and plenty of proof that they were the real thing.

That's my soapbox for tonight. The old saying "It's all in a name" really doesn't mean much in the music business.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.