Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
R.I.P Mike Smith,the voice of The Dave Clark 5 (Read 3081 times)
Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
R.I.P Mike Smith,the voice of The Dave Clark 5
Feb 29th, 2008 at 11:59am

Very sad news to me,but 2 weeks before The Dave Clark 5 were to be finally inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall Fame,lead vocalist Mike Smith has died from complications from pneumonia.Mike was paralyzed from the neck down after his fall from a ladder at his home in Spain back in 2003.I had the honor and privelege of seeing Mike perform and spending a few minutes talking to him after the show when he returned to live performing a few months before his accident.I have always considered him to be one of the greatest Rock N Roll singers of all time.
R.I.P. Mike,your voice will be missed.
                        KEVIN

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: R.I.P Mike Smith,the voice of The Dave Clark 5
Reply #1 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 10:25pm

One of the greatest voices in rock EVER.

IP Logged

Boris

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 2:38pm

I'm Feeling Sad All Over.
Indeed one of the greatest voices.
DC5 remain timeless as a result of those vocals.
Rest In Peace.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2008 at 8:07pm

yes, very sad indeed. Sad

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 12:38am

I too am extremely saddened by this news.  Mike Smith had a great voice and he took the DC 5 to a level they would not have reached without him.  I was so taken with the Beatles when they came to America, I really did not discover the DC 5 until the late 60's.  By then the band was doing a lot of covers and their original material never lived up to their early hits.  Even so, I bought all of their albums (most from the "cheapy pile), and enjoyed every one.  There was even an album where the DC 5 covered alot of classic oldies, and their version of Reelin' and Rockin' is one of the rawest and best I have ever heard.  And, no surprise, it is Mike Smiths' voice which propels the tune.  Now, when I hear Glad All Over, it will be with more than just a twinge of sadness.            dennis

IP Logged

Timster
YaBB Newbies

It all started right here!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 11:52am

I have to admit that I'm feeling a mixture of emotions with Mike Smith's passing.

I'm relieved that Mike is no longer restricted by physical disability and that his suffering is over.

I'm joyful that Mike is now reunited with his son who passed away a few years before Mike's accident.

I'm disappointed by the timing of his passing with the upcoming Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony so close at hand.

I'm angry at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for screwing the DC5 over last year in favor of Grandmaster Flash.

I'm happy that Mike was aware that he and the rest of the DC5 were going to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this year.

I'm saddened that the voice of the DC5 is no longer with us, even though he wasn't the same person as the one we all came to admire.

I'm thankful that we still have the recordings to listen to and the memories to cherish to keep his memory alive.

I'm grateful that there are others besides me who haven't forgotten and have continued to recognize & admire Mike's uniqueness and his unmatched talents.

Thank you Mike for the great music and memories. You will be missed by many!

You got me Bothered, You got me Hot&&I'm Hot & Bothered- I want what you got!

IP Logged

Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 10:39am

Timster,I couldn't have said it any better than you.I feel EXACTLY the same way as you on all your points.Very well-said,and thanks for the comments.
I am in no way comparing the 2 men,or their deaths and the way they passed away,but I haven't been this upset about a famous muscians death since John Lennon.
                                KEVIN

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

Timster
YaBB Newbies

It all started right here!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 5:05am

Thanks Kevin.  I just wanted you to know that you weren't alone in feeling bad about Mike. 

For as little airplay as the DC5 gets nowadays, I'm surprised at all the mentions of his passing that I have heard/seen.  It makes me feel better to know that Mike wasn't forgotten and with a voice like that, how could you?

Part of me is looking forward to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, but with Madonna and John Mellencamp being the headliners of the group, the other part of me feels that it's going to be a disappointment for the DC5 fans.  If there's any good to come of Mike's passing, it'll be hard to overlook the DC5 that night.

You got me Bothered, You got me Hot&&I'm Hot & Bothered- I want what you got!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.