Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dear Romantics (Read 2524 times)
scum1
Ex Member

Re: Dear Romantics
Reply #15 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 9:32am

I'm sure the court will decide and the band might even be right. I just happen to think it is a bad move from the point gaining new fans. If the Romantics where the Beatles they could stand to lose a few fans. The Romantics on the other hand could gain a lot of new fans through the exposure. There is huge potential for this band to make money if they gained a bunch of new fans who do not already own any Romantics music. If you do some research there are bands who where unknown before GH and now are in high demand just because the game got there music heard by millions of kids(and adults). Trust me when I say I have a huge dislike for the record companies and I know they have shafted many a musician. I support the bands right to sue. I just think it is a bad idea and even if they win they will lose. Take Metallica. They won and Napster got shut down. In the end though they pissed off so many fans that they will never be as big as they were and it probably cost them a lot of money. They were right and napster should of been shut down I think but in the end they acomplished nothing excempt harming themselves. They did not understand and I don't think The Romantics understand the power of GH and what having your song in it in any form can do for them. Enough rambling though. I appreciate your rational discussion solodka. You have proven to me that there is some intelligent life on fan boards.

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 11:50am

Any time you want to debate music, let me know. I have a little experience in that area.

IP Logged

magicpencil
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 10:00am

I've watched this discussion play out a bit and just wanted to add my two cents worth here.
The reality is this......
Big companies are in the business to make big money and often don't care about who they rip off in order to make that money. The entertainment business is one of the Biggest offenders in this practice as they prey on the artists who supply the ideas and content for their product.
I know because I work in the entertainment business and people are ripped off daily. The ones who are cheated often don't do anything. However, a few will mount lawsuits against the entertainment companies. Those companies have lawyers who work for them full time and will find ways to drag out a lawsuit for ages.  Unfortunately, even with a strong case, the small guy suing finds him/herself with giant legal fees and a drained bank account sometimes before the actual trial begins.  Even if the small guy wins, the entertainment company will appeal the decision and drag it back into the courts for another five years or even find a way to countersue.  
I have no love for Sony, Warner Bros., Activision or the like.  
The Romantics have a couple of songs that get active airplay. One in particular has made a lot of money for them.  It's their cash cow....and they need to protect that particular song in every way possible.
Sometimes Lawsuits happen because it's a way of protecting a property somewhere down the road...and often it's not about the money. It's about making a point or setting a precedent.  If it is about the money, it may be regarding how that song earns money down the road.
Obviously, The Romantics felt that their rights were infringed on and they're taking action. There's nothing wrong with that. If they win, more power to them. They're smart to do this.
Doing nothing often leads to more trouble. Whether they have a case or not, that's for the courts to decide.
I honestly don't believe that a good lawyer would accept this case without strong evidence anyway.
If this upsets the creation of more Guitar Hero software, I'm really sorry to hear about that, but an artist has to protect their rights too. It's not always fun and games on the other side of the fence.
As far as Mr. Scum's sincere concern regarding the loss of some Romantics fans because of the lawsuit, I'm sure the group will survive without them.
Because in my humble opinion, if this lawsuit was enough to lose them, they weren't worth having in the first place.

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 8:40am

Mag Pencil. The Romantics actually haven't made any REAL money off of their 3 most popular tunes until a few years ago. Former mgt was making all the bucks. The band sued, won, but didn't get the back pay (no surprise) and since the late 90's they have finally been able to get some pay.

If you do work in the biz there are many examples of David and Goliath. Cheap Trick and Sony has been one of them. They sued for Budokan, which they were being shorted millions in royalites, won the case but it hurt them with the label. The second suit is ongoing and deals with download royalities. As you stated, the company has full time lawyers and they draggggg everything out. The only way to take a case on, such as this one, is to have precedent in earlier rulings and this case has such ammo. The Romantics will not loose fans and the aptly, self named (not by me) scum is just one of many the band wouldn't care to see go by the wayside. A fan, musician, or music lover understands the plight this group is in, a novice doesn't and will never understand.

I've been ripped off, and it stinks. But, that's Show Biz!

Thanks for your input and acknowledgement of the dirty music biz.

IP Logged

magicpencil
YaBB Newbies

Reply #19 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 7:57am

Rockford, Believe me, I know ALL about the Romantics history and know that the actual lawsuit concerning their catalog of songs netted them absolutely nothing from their former managers.
But since that suit has been settled, I've heard What I Like About You everywhere.....literally everywhere...in addition to regular radio airplay.
That one song has become part of our culture, it's the ultimate party song. It's the title of a TV show!
I've heard that song used for every product from Beer to Greeting Cards to Theme Parks!
Aside from the Romantics actually playing it at concerts, I think you need a small licensing company to properly keep track of all the ways that the song is used and how monies are being dispursed.
So like I mentioned in an earlier post, they are smart to go after Activision, even if it nets them zero now. It might set some sort of precedent for the future.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #20 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 7:58am

Magicpencil.
I, for one, appreciate your statements and am glad to hear some reason here.   It's not always about money, sometimes things have more to do with principal than
money or fame or fortune....

Prior to the internet, and my being able to connect to many Romantics Fans around the world, I had absolutely no idea the amount of pain the band had to go through to secure the rights to MY favorite song (What I Like About You).... It was one of the few songs that I instantly LOVED the moment I heard it years ago. Like most fans and public, I had assumed the band had made lots of royalties on it and were sitting pretty.  It wasn't until I connected with some long-time (and close friends) of the band online, did I come to understand the reality of how they were ripped off over many years.   It's one of the reasons we as fans had to wait so many years for their most recent album, "61/49".... 

Even now, hardly a day goes by without my hearing "WILAY" on the radio, in a store, on a TV commercial, etc. 

To "Scum"-- whether you are or not, is not really the point, but when you come onto the site and immediately start talking negatively about the band, many of the regulars WILL be offended. If that wasn't your intent, then you would not have started posting on this site with negative comments. Perhaps you should have taken the time to get to know some of us before coming out swinging.

It IS possible to have a civil conversation here, without causing others to be defensive.  Believe it or not, the fans here ARE able to see both sides of the story, but the problem is that some have come charging onto the message board with only the intention to "flame" and cause disruption.   Some of us have in the past HAVE agreed to disagree, and it's okay.  We all are independent thinkers and not everyone will be all smiles and friendly on every subject on this site.  But if you want any respect from anyone here, then you should be more thoughtful about how you present your views to us.   

BTW, posting with a screenname that immediate brings in negative connotations is not exactly going to help you to endear yourself to the others on this board....Perhaps you could have started out with an introduction about yourself-- so that we could know more about you...before posting your opinions.... the response you might have received may have been far more receptive than coming in here as a stranger and accusing the band of ruining your fun.

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #21 - Dec 18th, 2007 at 11:25pm

Alice Cooper plays the song fairly regularly on his late night radio show. I have heard it a few times. Pretty cool.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.