Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dear Romantics (Read 2521 times)
quarky42
Ex Member

Dear Romantics
Nov 28th, 2007 at 5:03am

Dear Romantics or Whom This May Concern,

I was a fan of the band until I recently learned of your law suit against Activision for the Add-On content that features "What I Like About You".  From what I understand, this content was properly licensed by the company.  Furthermore, I respect the performers for being able to play such a good version of your song.

I don't mistake their version of your song as the real thing for even a second.   There are differences.  Perhaps some people will be fooled, but that just means the performers did a good job.  You should be flattered that they included your song in the add-on for Guitar Hero 2 and you should drop the case immediately.

I am losing respect for your band daily as this news draws out.  Have you never heard of a "cover band" before?   The best cover bands sound the most like the original authors.  That is the point of a cover band.

You can't license a song for use in a video game and then turn around and say that it was "too good".   You are doing a disservice to video gamers and Romantics fans alike.   As a video gamer and a fan of rock music I am
offended twice by your attitude that you are entitled to more money.  If you wanted more money you should have A> Offered to help the programmers create the track for the game or B> Should have charged more for the license.

Since you already licensed it, you are too late.   Perhaps you will respect future requests from a "video game" company more to use your music.  If/When you get another request you should try to find out if you can perform the music yourselves for more money.

Keep in mind though, that the point of the video game is to have as large a library of GREAT songs as the developing company can afford.  If you charge an arm and a leg for the use of your song in the game, then chances are your song will be left out.  Even if it is kept in, that means you have bumped out a song of someone else's.  You have to take into account that you get value by having your song features within the video game.  More people will recognize the song and now they will see the name of the band that originally made it.   Most radio stations are very bad about giving the names of songs that they play.

Also, take into account that this is a "social" video game... it is played with friends & family.  You should realize that for every 1 video game sold, your song has the chance to be played by MANY people.

Put yourself in the video gamer and the fans shoes first...before you start worrying about your pocketbooks and you will continue to make music that rocks.   Bands lose relevance when they focus on the money.  If you make great music, the money will come.   Make music because you like it and because you like to share it.   You don't have a right to charge extra
because someone else was able to perform your song nearly as well as you could.  That should be a challenge to you, to make your music better and more difficult.

Anyone that plays the game will know immediately that the song is performed by a cover band.  It says so when you start playing.   Anyone with half a brain that takes the time to think about it knows that when they see the list of songs / artists there is no way that all the songs could be performed by the original bands because each band would be WAYYY too greedy to make the game affordable.   People here are a fan of math showing how much money GH might have made, but no one has figured out that if each band charged what Romantics are trying to charge for the use of a GOOD COVER of their song, then the game would have to cost between $50 and $100 more than it did.    I don't need math to show this...just assume that each band was entitled to between $1 and $3 per track, per disc sold.  If that was the case, then the price would have to be paid by the buyer:  The video game / music fan.   This doesn't take into account that for every game sold people now are exposed to your band's music and shown your song name and band name in big letters.  The 2 people that I know face-to-face that have this game have bought music simply because it was on a Guitar Hero game and they decided they liked it.   I'm sorry, but a good cover is still a good cover.  If they wanted more money they should have charged it at the beginning or offered to do a real performance for it.

Signed,

A very disappointed fan.

IP Logged

jonnie2224

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Dear Romantics
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 6:38am

Learn the music business before U write a long letter !!!!

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 9:43pm

Hey quarky, how long have you been working for Sony?

IP Logged

applesauce
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 6:29am

haha oldfriend Grin

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:55pm

Here's another quote that I thought was exceptionally well written:

#8 posted by Michael W. Dean , November 23, 2007 1:46 PM

I know copyright enforcement seems really unhip to a lot of folks these days, but copyright is a right guaranteed in the US Constitution. ("...To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries....")

I happen to really like the US Constitution, ALL of it, and really hate to see it stepped on. It seems to me that a lot of people these days yell loudly when their rights are violated, but then want to violate the rights of others whenever it feels convenient.

Do the commenters here who are bemoaning the enforcement of this Romantics issue think the Constitution should be changed?

And if copyright law should be enforced for one, it should be enforced for all, regardless of perceived artistic merit. (By the way, most of the music I like is really dark: Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Bauhaus, etc, but I think "What I like About You" is a particularly well-crafted pop song, it rocks, and I respect it for that.)

I know that old-school media companies tend to be WAY overly proactive about going after all perceived "violations", really selfish about trying to extend copyright law for too long, and often slam Fair Use as illegal use. And I think the Internet has changed the playing field to the point where copyright law needs some reinterpretation.

People are making inroads. Among them are Creative Commons. I dig Creative Commons and use it on some (not all) of my projects. I also give away some art, and there are millions of people doing that.

But I also maintain copyright on some projects, for a number of reasons. And I feel strongly that the underlying principals of copyright law are sound, and should be upheld. For all.

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/11/23/romantics-object-to.html

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

PIRATE
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

SANTA FE SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA
Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 7:19am

well put solodka....well put. alot of folks dont hesitate to violate, but once they get violated they seem to come out swinging. everyone knows the guidlines, rules and laws!

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 8:50am

Not to confuse anyone, I didn't originally say it.  I just repeated it! Smiley  Click on the link and you can read the whole thing!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

scum1
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2007 at 6:24pm

I'm with Quarky. The song was payed for so no copyright was broken. Sad grab for cash I say. Too bad it will turn off many new fans as well as some old fans. Sure I know this is a fan board and as usual most fan boards are filled with fans who think their favorite band can do no wrong. Time and time again I see it on all fan boards. Blind following. Sad

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 1:02am

Gee, we get a "brand new" member who comes here just to post on the situation concerning the guitar hero game. This person has probably never heard or isn't even aware of the 61/49 album and is certainly no fan. Hey scum, go take out your frustrations over this situation on someone else's message board. We don't need a "fan" like you around here. Take a hike.

IP Logged

scum1
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 3:42am

Just what I expected as a reply. You can never have a real discussion with obsessed fans. Their band can do no wrong. Sorry to disappoint you oldfriend but I have a legitimate gripe. Am I a fan yes. I am a fan of all kinds of music. I'm adult who owns over 1000 cds. I did not come here with acting juvenile and slinging mud. I am just disappointed in the situation. I actually think most of the people here have no clue about the Guitar Hero games and are all to quick to side with the band. I mainly am upset that it is going to be bad publicity for the band. I'm not going to say I really care about them that much beyond liking their music but turning off a new generation of fans is not going to help spread their music. I've had my kids ask me to buy them a cd from bands like the Allman brothers and other because they heard a song covered by someone in guitar Hero. There is a new fan and some sales for a band a young kid probably would not of heard of except for the game and kids will turn other kids on to music they like resulting in many new fans. Maybe if you took the time to read my post before bashing me for being a new member( I been a casual fan for years ). Just because I'm not a fan who comes to these boards does not mean I am not a fan and have no right to an opinion.

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 5:23am

Scums a Baby Boomer who owns or has stolen 1000's of pieces of music on line during their selfish self-centered life. Along with loads of illegal drugs, why because I'm allowed to break every law and NOBODY can hold me accountable for it, because my name is SCUM. Very fitting.

IP Logged

scum1
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 6:01am

So I have stolen 1000s of songs? No I own over 1000 cds. The actual cd in the case that I bought. I support musicians through buying cds, going to concerts. Self centered? I never attacked the band but I get attacked because I think they are making a mistake. Do any of you actually read my post or are you just mindless attack dogs.  I am a music fan. I go by the name scum1 because i always have. It was because I have tattoos and an earring since before it became trendy and people used to pass judgment on me because of my looks. It's a joke name. I am a responsible adult  with grown kids who are also responsible adults. You sure pass a lot of judgment on me without knowing anything about me other than the fact that I disagree with the bands action. How about someone sane here actually responding to my points? Why is it so hard to see the fact that alienating possibly millions of music fans is not a good move. It is fun however to see you guys prove my point over and over with the personal attacks on me. I have never once had a  rational discussion on a fan message board of any band. I always have hope that maybe some fan actually be able to think clearly. These bands are people. People make mistakes. if you think they are infallible then you have a problem.

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 10:28pm

You never found it necessary to come here and post about one of the band's albums, one of their live shows, or anything else positive about the band, but you did find it necessary to come here and whine about guitar hero. Then you talk about coming here for a real discussion. Again, you never found it necessary to come here before this issue. We heard your opinion. No need to state anything about it again from a "fan" like you. No get out of your mom's house and get a job.

IP Logged

scum1
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 2:53am

Still I listened to the band some and enjoyed the music for many years. I also do not remember whining about anything. I just said I thought it was a mistake and of course I was instantly attacked and called names. Me living in my moms house lol.  I'd say your the ones acting like children. I listen to hundreds of bands and I don't go to all of their boards and post stuff. I just saw this news and wanted to see what was up and say I thought it was a mistake and maybe have a discussion about it. No chance of that though. Why would someone want to come to this board and discuss the band. If they said anything that was slightly negative ( like I thought the band was a little off at last nights show) I'm sure they would be attacked by the fanatics here. This is a worship board not a discussion board I see. No music fans here just idiots like you oldfriend. I dare you to prove me wrong and yet you still just bash away without addressing any of my points thus proving my point that band forums are useless except for idol worship.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 6:30am

I will agree that of course, everyone has and is entitled to his or her own opinion.  And you do, Scum1, have a right to say and voice your opinion as you see fit.  I will also agree with you that you did so in an adult manner, not name calling or mud-slinging as some others have done.  But you also know that if you try and attack someone's children, favorite band,  etc. the fans and parents will become defensive and protective of what they love.  That is a given.

That said, not everyone is happy with every decision that is made in this world.  You will always have people that are for you as well as against you.  I do however feel that you must protect what you feel is right and go forward with an action to defend that right.  Do people hate the Beatles for suing for what they think is right?  I do not know if you are an attorney or not Scum1, but I can point you in the direction of a few websites that can counter your point of if in fact a copyright of some sort has been broken or not.  Have you read the actual complaint?  Do you understand it?  It is not that cut and dry of a situation.  Remember also to not always believe everything that you read.  Things are forever being taken out of context and not exactly as they were said. 

Will they lose fans from the lawsuit?  Were these loyal fans before the lawsuit?  Or are these people who never even knew who The Romantics were before Guitar Hero?  I'm sure they know who they are now. 

I do hope that when this is all said and done, more things will be explained as to exactly why things came about the way that they did.

Was that your point Scum1?  I'm not really sure.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.