Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Activision Crap (Read 1272 times)
asdf
Ex Member

Activision Crap
Nov 23rd, 2007 at 3:32pm

hey romantics! you gave permission to Activision to do a cover for guitar hero. and guess what? they got a band and did a cover and did a great job. i guess your 'sound' isn't so hard to duplicate. a dime a dozen i tell you. you shouldnt be able to sue either, you gave your permission. some lawyer got his greedy grubby little hands on this. your songs suck and you obviously have run out of money. give me a break.

go ahead and say what you want you fans. i will never log in again anyway. gnash and spit away.
Grin

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Activision Crap
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 9:04pm

Gee, sorry you might no be able to play guitar hero now, but you can still sit in your bedroom in your mom's house and play Halo 3 on your Xbox 360 all day.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 5:09am

Well...I count 22 new members to this board in the last 2 days...hmmm.

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 6:59am

I guess this is giving people a lot more things to do other than play GH!  I have read spoofs on "What I Like About You" changing the words to Why I Want To Sue You.

Here is another post that makes a lot of sense:

I saw this comment posted on Slashdot, the band may have more of a case than you might initially think:

Quote:
Sorry -- there's precedent here. If you deliberately do a cover that sounds too much like the original as to cause confusion, you're likely to be sued. Maybe this is one of those cases where the rest of the world really needs a good explainin' from the Slashdot populace, but nonetheless, this is how the rest of the world works for the time being.

For those of you with Westlaw, look up Midler v. Ford Motor Company. Ford hired one of Bette Midler's background singers to do an exact copy of Midler's vocal style on a cover of one of her songs ("Do You Want To Dance") for an ad for the Mercury Sable. They did this because it was cheaper than hiring Midler, so they set out to attempt to confuse the audience. It worked -- I knew people who swore that it was the Bette Midler version. Midler sued; Ford lost.

What the makers of GH want has absolutely no bearing here. What matters is what they are legally entitled to get. If you don't want to pay up to use the original recording, you don't get to record a soundalike. To avoid being sued, you do a re-interpretation, no matter how much you want something that sounds just like the original article, without having to pay for it.

This is little band vs. big corporation here. I can't believe that some people think it should be simple as "explaining" to the band that they have no case because the big company wanted an exact copy of their song, but didn't want to pay for the privelege. Big companies should not have the ability to trample the little guy's rights simply because they "want" something. Sure, it happens enough... but why are Slashdotters suddenly supporting this notion?
There's a couple of interesting responses too, be sure to check out the subcomments if you're interested.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/22/190246
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40083&highlight=Romantics&page...

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 8:01am

http://kotaku.com/gaming/music-industry/are-musicians-getting-the-shaft-from-gui... 
It seems like more musicians are saying that they got the shaft from "guitar hero."

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 7:08am

It now appears that Activision is suing Harmonix:

Activision is blocking a patch that would allow PlayStation 3 consumers to use its Guitar Hero controller with the competing Rock Band because Harmonix won't pay up, according to The Boston Globe.
"Unfortunately for Rock Band users, Harmonix has been unwilling to discuss an agreement that will allow us to provide that option in a manner that maintains the high standards people have come to expect from Activision," Activision spokesperson Maryanne Lataif told the newspaper.

"We believe we should be compensated for the use of our technology," she said.

Funny how it is okay for Activision to sue over their rights, but most "gamers" think it's not okay for The Romantics to sue over their rights.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/12/20/standoff_hits_a_so...

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

tommyringtone
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 6:52am

I agree with ASDF.

Did anyone in this band even LOOK at either of the two versions of Guitar Hero before agreeing to have their song in this iteration of GH? Give me a break!!! The whole point of the game is to enable players to participate in and celebrate the hits of these bands. So of course they want them to sound the same!

If the The Romantics didn't want to license the master for use (as so many other bands have) or didn't want to have the game offer consumers the closest sounding cover possible, they should have walked away from the deal entirely!!! Instead the band took the shady (albeit typical) music business route of "get some money now, sue them for more later" approach.

Give me a break, this is why the music industry is in such turmoil to begin with --  it's so unfortunate when talented musicians mar their reputations with sleazy business tactics. Shame on you guys.

Wake up and smell the digital revolution of 2007, your lucky to have even been asked to be included.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 10:59am

How can you assume that The Romantics are entitled to do anything of the sort?  Maybe it's not up to them?
Before anyone goes casting any stones, they should get all of their facts straight first.  It isn't the point of money, it's the point of principal.  Get stepped on and taking advantage on all of your life, and I would say you would want to stand up and fight back eventually.  I would imagine that a song to songwriters is like a child to a parent.  You want to protect it with everything that you have.

The point here is that covering a song is one thing.  You pay for a certain license to do that. 
Duplicating a recorded version of a song is yet another entity entirely.  If they wanted them to sound the same, quite simply, use the master.  Pay for the master.  Or like GH is doing now, pay the band to record a new one the way you want it.  If I want to play to an original, that is what I want to hear. 

If I went to see The Romantics, and paid to see The Romantics, I would expect The Romantics.  Not a sound a like copy of The Romantics, or I would want my money back.

Yeah, the music industry is in turmoil for people stealing music, for musicians not getting compensated properly for their music, etc., etc.

And if you really bother to read the post that I put above tommyringtone, your precious Activision is suing Harmonix!  Is that OK?  They just want to be fairly compensated for something they created!!!!

Now let's see if you have something else to say that makes any sense
!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 4:21am

solodka wrote on Dec 31st, 2007 at 7:08am:
It now appears that Activision is suing Harmonix:

Activision is blocking a patch that would allow PlayStation 3 consumers to use its Guitar Hero controller with the competing Rock Band because Harmonix won't pay up, according to The Boston Globe.
"Unfortunately for Rock Band users, Harmonix has been unwilling to discuss an agreement that will allow us to provide that option in a manner that maintains the high standards people have come to expect from Activision," Activision spokesperson Maryanne Lataif told the newspaper.

"We believe we should be compensated for the use of our technology," she said.

Funny how it is okay for Activision to sue over their rights, but most "gamers" think it's not okay for The Romantics to sue over their rights.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/12/20/standoff_hits_a_so...

Hm... I'll bet that it won't be long before computer hackers and gamers will post online a way to get around having to pay for a 2nd type of controller that's similar to the Guitar Hero controller? It can't possibly be that hard....Why re-invent the wheel there's already an original Guitar Hero controller out there--why not just "use it" and "not pay for it"? Is it really hurting anyone? After all, Activision is already rich beyond their wildest dreams because they created the original Guitar Hero. Shocked

I really don't understand WHY Activision wouldn't want Harmonix to use "their technology"?  It's giving Guitar Hero "free advertising", right? Are you sure that Activision  wouldn't want a "copycat" video game out there that's "not as good" as the original?  They should just keep their mouth shut and relish the fact that everyone LIKES Guitar Hero so much that they'd want to play it on other video game systems....   Undecided

Shucky darn....Apparently, it's not okay for Harmonix to create something that's too similar to Guitar Hero's technology from Activision without paying for it....but it's okay for Activision to create a cover of the Romantics sound that tries to mimic their songs too closely (without paying properly for it).... Gee... I wonder why Activism is suing?  Could it be that Harmonix' "patch" would make its game TOO SIMILAR to Activision?  Ironic, isn't it....

I'm crying buckets of tears for Activision... Cry

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:37am

Congratulations ROMANTICS! Look for more legal action by bands such as The Clash from this recent legal victory. I could have sworn it was the original master for Should I Stay and it's a copy.

I will hand it to the Wave people, they are good at imitation, but the REAL THING is what they "stated" they wanted to duplicate.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 11:47pm

Legal victory?  Is this settled already?

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2008 at 10:14am

Ah, that would be a, "not yet!"

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 9:47pm

Well, a year and a half later......any updates?

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 12:03am

Sounds like the outcome is hush hush.  But if you notice, the new games are using the original songs mostly!  Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm...............................

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.