Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
8/4/07  Wisconsin State Fair Show (Read 2960 times)
Timster
YaBB Newbies

It all started right here!

Milwaukee, WI
8/4/07  Wisconsin State Fair Show
Aug 5th, 2007 at 7:45pm

I have to say that last night's show was probably the hardest rocking performance of the Romantics that I 've ever seen in the 20 shows that I have been a part of.  The scattered rain showers kept the crowd much smaller than what they could have drawn to the stage.  Just as the band took to the stage and starting playing Rock You Up, the rain came down harder than it had during the entire 80 minutes I sat there waiting for the show to start.  Luckily, the rain didn't last long and for those that stayed, they were treated to a loud and rocking show.   The set list was virtually the same as the Michigan shows, but they only played two encores instead of three.

Does anyone know anything about the song "Respect" and whether it's a new original or a more obscure cover version?  That was the highlight of the show for me, although I'm sure that Brew will choose "Stone Pony", right Brew?

Rock U Up
Midnight to 6
When I Look In Your Eyes
61/49
One In A Million
Come See Me
Talking In Your Sleep
Night Like This
Respect
Stone Pony
Angels
Tomboy
First In Line
New Kinda Pain
She's Got Everything
What I Like

Encore

I Need You
I Can Only Give You Everything

I'll post a few photos at the Yahoo! group shortly.

You got me Bothered, You got me Hot&&I'm Hot & Bothered- I want what you got!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Re: 8/4/07  Wisconsin State Fair Show
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 10:13pm

That particular version of Respect is a cover by The Rationals.  Awesome wasn't it?!!!  The first time I heard it was in MI and I loved it!  Same with Stone Pony.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 10:20pm

thanks tim!
your pictures are up on the yahoo group page.  
enjoy everyone!http://launch.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheRomanticsFans/photos/browse/7557

you can read more on the rationals at:
http://www.therationals.com/
http://www.scottmorganmusic.com/scott_rationals.html
that site has not been updated in years but at least you can get some background on the band
also, the lead singer, scott morgan, is now the lead singer for a local band called powertrane who opened for iggy and the stooges when i saw them a few months back.  robert gillespie plays guitar and in case you forgot, robert was in the motor city rockers with jimmy marinos.
its a small rock and roll world here in motown!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 7:38am

Somehow the stage looks a bit strange to me.  I'm not sure why, but it does.  Also, the crowd doesn't look as energetic as they normally do.  Maybe it was a long night after the rain!
Thanks for sharing the photos with us! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Timster
YaBB Newbies

It all started right here!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 10:43am

Actually, the "International Amphitheater" (which is near the International Marketplace, hence the name) is one of the better stages at the State Fair  to see an act perform.  It allows the crowd to be close to the performers on three sides of the stage.   Unfortunately, the weather wasn't cooperating along with a 10 PM start time that kept the crowd small.

The crowd may not look energetic in the photos, but for a small crowd there was plenty of energy being exhibited.  There were two middle aged women who were dancing all over the place and annoying the hell out of me .  They were repeatedly dancing on the benches in front of me until Security made them get down and then they'd dance with the Security guard!

You got me Bothered, You got me Hot&&I'm Hot & Bothered- I want what you got!

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 8:11pm

Stone Pony!!

Boy, they really did rock hard!  Timster's assessment was pretty much right on.  I got some great photos because I was so close; I'll try to post more info & a few photos tonight...stay tuned.

(See Timster's photo #9...I'm in the front row with the black t-shirt with skeleton diving through flaming hoop, and my wife Liza is to my right with zebra headband.  That picture was apparently taken during the five seconds that we were standing still.)

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 3:50am

Yup, you can't get too much closer than that Brew!  Unless, of course, you were dancing on stage!   Wink

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 6:03am

Timster must have gotten his hands on the set list, because that's how it reads.  I was leaning on the stage during the show, so I could read the set list and see what was coming up.  When they played the songs, they moved "Talking in Your Sleep" down to right after "Respect", then played "Angels", then they totally knocked me out with "STONE PONY" and "Tomboy" back-to-back!  As you can probably imagine, I almost had a heart attack when "Stone Pony" was skipped.  I was afraid they were trying to shorten the show because of the rain and were gonna skip it altogether!!  Hence the knockout flurry when they did finally play it.   Cheesy  That was my highlight, along with "Come See Me"--(any chance that one will make the next album?)

I got the set list, too--unfortunately, they had lined up 9 songs for encores, but only played the two because of the rain and dwindling crowd.  I sure got my $ worth though  Wink  (it was a free show)...they played about 80-90 minutes.

I sent a few of the better photos to the yahoo group page.  Three are there now and the others will hopefully be up there shortly.  I got some pretty good closeups for an amateur, I thought.  

After the show, the band all came out by the merch table to meet whoever was around, and they were great as usual.  We met Mike's wife and boy, talked to Mike, Coz, Brad & Wally for awhile.  

I was lucky enough to spend some time with Wally Friday night--we went to the Brewers game at Miller Park and then out for a few brews or vodkas or whatever.   Besides his vast musical knowledge, he really knows quite a bit about baseball, and I think he really enjoyed Miller Park.  Best of all, Wally couldn't have been nicer to every single person that he encountered all night.  He was truly a pleasure to hang out with.

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 9:33am

BrewCity wrote on Aug 9th, 2007 at 6:03am:
As you can probably imagine, I almost had a heart attack when "Stone Pony" was skipped.  I was afraid they were trying to shorten the show because of the rain and were gonna skip it altogether!! 

Maybe someone was just messin' wit ya!? Wink Wink

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 8:20pm

That occurred to me, too    Tongue

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 1:59am

all of brews pics and tims pics have been posted on the yahoo photo album.  good job guys.  love seeing photos from different perspectives!  thanks to you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.