Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
7/27/07 Detroit, MI Show (Read 3429 times)
bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
7/27/07 Detroit, MI Show
Jul 24th, 2007 at 6:19am

July 27th
Rockin On The Riverfront Festival
Detroit, MI
General Motors Renaissance Center
www.wcsx.com/concerts/

shall we begin the countdown?
head count?

andrew?
oldfriend?
lmk?
pinkbubelz?
jonnie?
buyadodge?
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007 at 7:51pm by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Next Show:  7/27/07 Detroit, MI
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 9:24am

Count me in!!   Cool  Who else is going?

IP Logged

Andrew

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 10:50am

I hope to be there! I can't wait, its been almost a year to the day of the last time I saw the band!

I went to a Riverfront concert a few weeks back (Asia) and it is the same setup as last year.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 8:11am

ok how cool is this??
the radio station sponsoring this show, wcsx, just had a contest where the winners prize is joining the romantics on stage for what i like about you at the show this friday on the riverfront!!!

IP Logged

applesauce
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 9:14am

AngryWish I could be there

IP Logged

Andrew

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 9:46am

bookies_original wrote on Jul 26th, 2007 at 8:11am:
ok how cool is this??
the radio station sponsoring this show, wcsx, just had a contest where the winners prize is joining the romantics on stage for what i like about you at the show this friday on the riverfront!!!

That is cool! Though, if I ever got a chance to be on stage with the band I would love play some guitar Wink .

What time is everyone arriving? Sadly, the earliest I can get down there is probably 6:30/7ish.

IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 11:05am

I heard some great news tonight about that contest, bookies!  I will try to contact you, solodka, and pinkbublez Thursday.  I was out of town for work the first part of this week and just got back this afternoon in time to see The Stray Cats/Pretenders/ZZ Top show at Freedom Hill tonight. 

Not sure what time I will be downtown Friday, but probably not super early.  We can always keep in touch via cell phone!  Looking forward to seeing everyone.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 12:28pm

lmk_new wrote on Jul 26th, 2007 at 11:05am:
I heard some great news tonight about that contest, bookies!  I will try to contact you, solodka, and pinkbublez Thursday.  I was out of town for work the first part of this week and just got back this afternoon in time to see The Stray Cats/Pretenders/ZZ Top show at Freedom Hill tonight. 

Not sure what time I will be downtown Friday, but probably not super early.  We can always keep in touch via cell phone!  Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Hey LMK!!! We should get together for dinner before (or after) the show! Smiley I will try to be down there by about 7 p.m.   

Sounds like you went to a cool concert tonight...Luckily, the weather cleared up in the evening! Wink

I cannot wait to see the band again! I can never get enough... Now, if I could get my card reader to work, maybe they could post some of my pics on their site... Smiley

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 12:35pm

So, are the winners singing, dancing or playing?  Sounds interesting, tell us more! Grin

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 7:10pm

not sure what the winners will be doing!

we need to set up a meeting place in advance because we had major problems with cell phones working last year.

we could meet at the broadcast booth of wcsx at like 7-7:30 or so.

how does that sound?  at least it would be a back up plan in case the cell phones are inoperable!

IP Logged

applesauce
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 4:03am

What is the contest about??someone send me a message

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 5:53am

Enjoy the show, Motor City!  I have just one more week to wait.   Smiley

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 10:27am

applesauce wrote on Jul 27th, 2007 at 4:03am:
What is the contest about??someone send me a message

Well, Applesauce, and everyone else not living in MI, the local station in Detroit, WCSX, had a contest to win positions to be up on stage during What I Like About You.  Steve Kostan asked a question, don't exactly know what it was, and the first 5 people to call in with the correction answer, won 2 tickets each.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

PIRATE
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

SANTA FE SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA
Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 10:41am

that is a cool contest.....i wish you all luck on winning. that would be so so cool if any one of you were able to do that.......good luck.....and enjoy the show!!

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 1:16pm

I can't wait to see our message board buddies and the band again! Smiley

PRAY for good weather!!!

I was thinking of going to Greektown for dinner before the show (and then just walk over to the Ren Cen)-- anyone up for it?

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: Tonight's Show:  7/27/07 Detroit, MI
Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 6:44pm

hopefully there will be a huge clearing of the clouds by 7 pm so we can all enjoy this show!!

does anyone know what plan b is in the event of rain?

IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 11:28pm

If for some reason tonight's show gets rained out, are we all going to head to St. Clair Shores tomorrow night?   Wink

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 3:49am

I'm down here now and the sun is shining! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: 7/27/07 Detroit, MI Show
Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 8:17pm

i am counting on solodka to post the set list but i will say that they finally did stone pony!!!!!
brew, i couldnt help think of you.
they also did "respect"
which sounded great!
having not seen the band in nearly a year, i must admit they sounded totally insanely awesome and the crowd was in a frenzy.
the riverfront is such a wonderful venue.  for all you non locals, it is a stage set up outside along side the
detroit river directly across from the gm center which is a huge hotel, cylindrical shaped office space, atrium of restaurants and shops.  it is truly breathtaking and people are boating and they have a huge ferry boat that goes by.
even though this is only the second time the romantics have played this venue, i think it might be one of, if not  the favorite place of mine to see them.  the sound is excellent and the band is so energized when they play in front of the home crowd.  i have a few pics i will be posting on our yahoo group and pinkbubelz has a ton more!!  it was great to see all of the message board people along with other folks who have been supporters of the romantics from way back in the 1970's.  judging by the amount of children i saw last night, it looks like a lot of parents are introducing their offspring to the romantics  and passing the baton of support to the next generation which is so exciting.  the music is timeless, the band is ageless.  truly a phenomenal evening.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 9:41pm

Stone Pony?!!

Awesome!  Man, I hope they were warmin' that song up for next week's show here!! Smiley

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:37pm

Set List:

Rock U Up
Midnight to 6
When I Look In Your Eyes
61/49
One In A Million
Come See Me
Talking In Your Sleep
Night Like This
Respect
Stone Pony
Angels
Tomboy
First In Line
New Kinda Pain
She's Got Everything
What I Like

Encore

I Need You
Tonight
I Can Only Give You Everything

Amazing, Amazing Night!  They played for over an hour and 45 minutes!  That's all for now, off to St. Clair! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:51pm

Yes, the band sounded great, the crowd was pumped, and people were dancing all along the riverfront.  Unfortunately for myself and my friends, we couldn't get a seat or find anywhere to stand so we could actually see the stage.  Security was a lot tighter than last year, and they wouldn't let people "stand" in any of the "aisles".   Sad

I could occasionally see Mike's face and Brad's drumstick up in the air.  We had fun anyways, but it was pretty disappointing to not even be able to see all of the guys performing.  The only time I did get to see them all up there was when we were heading to the RenCen at the end of What I Like About You.   Watched the encore from inside the building and could actually see better from there!

We might try a "do over" tonight in St. Clair, but only if someone in the know can tell me how I can finagle a view of the stage! 

It was nice, though, to see Iris, Eric, and Mary, and to wave to Judy and say hi to Kelly and Chloe!

IP Logged

applesauce
YaBB Newbies

Reply #22 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 3:00am

Cheesythankyou solodka just wondering what it was about , the contest I mean

IP Logged

Rob

Don't you put me on hold!

Reply #23 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 7:22am

Stone Pony??? Wow! Did Wally sing lead on it? it was  Jimmy Marinos song back in the day.  Very kool!

IP Logged

PIRATE
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

SANTA FE SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA
Reply #24 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 8:58am

gosh bookies a year is a long time for michigan of not seeing the band perform.
sounds like the band was right on que of another great night of a fan pleasing performance. 1 hour 45 mins....and they can rock every minute of it!!

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #25 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 10:18am

Rob wrote on Jul 30th, 2007 at 7:22am:
Stone Pony??? Wow! Did Wally sing lead on it? it was  Jimmy Marinos song back in the day.  Very kool!

Nope, it was Mike Skill.  And it was amazing!  I had never heard that song before and I have to admit that I have now added it to one of my favorites! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #26 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 10:20am

applesauce wrote on Jul 29th, 2007 at 3:00am:
Cheesythankyou solodka just wondering what it was about , the contest I mean

Turns out that the winners were never allowed to go up on stage after all.  Don't really know why, but it seems that the promoters didn't want it.  They were a bit of sticklers that night I guess! Sad

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #27 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 5:43am

Solodka, we need you to exert your influence to get Stone Pony played here on Saturday night!  It is not only one of your favorites, but one of my favorites, one of my wife's favorites......hell, it's probably one of EVERYONE'S favorites!!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #28 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 9:46am

I think I heard somewhere that it might cost you extra Brew!   Wink Maybe a few corn dogs and lemonades or something! Grin

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #29 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 5:30am

SOLD!!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #30 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 10:47am

They totally rocked on the Riverfront! My only regret was not being able to make it out to St. Clair on Saturday.... But my hubby and I were preparing for a mini-concert at our home on Sunday... (he's the bassist in a new local band)....But I was definitely thinking of the band around 10:30 p.m.!!!  Kiss Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yes, it really sucked that the contest winners were not allowed on stage.  The promoters apparently squashed the contest-- not really good for the radio station in my opinion.... (They shouldn't have done the contest if there wasn't going to be anything for the winners!!! (At the very least, the winners should have gotten T-Shirts or something!!!)  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #31 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 5:16am

solodka wrote on Jul 31st, 2007 at 9:46am:
I think I heard somewhere that it might cost you extra Brew!   Wink Maybe a few corn dogs and lemonades or something! Grin

Corndogs, pickle-on-a-sticks, pizza-by-the-slice, chocolate-covered-frozen-bananas, mini-fried-donuts, elephant ears, whatever.  Heck, I've even been known to buy a beer now and then.  To hear Stone Pony live....just submit the list of demands!  If it's sold on the Fairgrounds, it's fair game!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #32 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 6:56am

Or in the stadium! Wink

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #33 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 5:20am

BrewCity wrote on Aug 2nd, 2007 at 5:16am:
Corndogs, pickle-on-a-sticks, pizza-by-the-slice, chocolate-covered-frozen-bananas, mini-fried-donuts, elephant ears, whatever.  Heck, I've even been known to buy a beer now and then.  To hear Stone Pony live....just submit the list of demands!  If it's sold on the Fairgrounds, it's fair game!

Fattening list, but sounds yummy to me!  especially the Choc Covered Bananas in this heat!

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #34 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 7:01am

here is the "official" response i have gotten from the promoter of this show as to why the contest winners were not allowed to join the band on stage for what i like about you:

When you were told that the promoter wouldn’t allow anyone else on stage, it was because only authorized people (those necessary to putting on the show) are covered under their event insurance. 

to all of the winners, if you would like a consolation prize, contact wcsx. 

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #35 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 9:57am

I think you should take the consolation prize for sure!  Tickets to an upcoming concert that they are promoting would be nice! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #36 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 5:18am

bookies_original wrote on Aug 3rd, 2007 at 7:01am:
here is the "official" response i have gotten from the promoter of this show as to why the contest winners were not allowed to join the band on stage for what i like about you:

When you were told that the promoter wouldn’t allow anyone else on stage, it was because only authorized people (those necessary to putting on the show) are covered under their event insurance. 

to all of the winners, if you would like a consolation prize, contact wcsx. 

Bookies,
How do we get in touch with them? Any ideas as to what the consolation prize is?

Why the heck did they even advertise dancing on the stage if they weren't going to follow through?  That really screws everyone over!!! 

I agree.  Tix to an upcoming show would be cool... Or box seats to a Tiger game... They have no idea how disappointed some of the fans  were about not being able to go on stage!!

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #37 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 9:38am

I can probably answer that one Pink!  Sounded like a good idea at the time, but no one checked with the promoters.  Oops! Sad

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #38 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 9:39am

Can't trust a radio station Promo-person as far as you can throw one. I had a friend win a John Forgety baseball contest with the Cubs. We were supposed to get Farris B seats, drinks, food (parking - major need at Wrigley) and the chance to meet Rhino before the game and get an autographed ball. On top of that, it was a day game, so my friend and I were going to be paid to go to the game! That is because we had to take work off to win the contest.

All we got was the tickets at will-call and all the rest never happened. The promo was all over the radio and news before the event, and not a word about it after the game was over. The station just said, some times the promotions don't work out.

Well, isn't that false advertising!

They are all a bunch of wankers that get free tickets to see bands they would never pay to see anyhow. That is why my view is leave the promotion up to the band, not the wanna-be DJ's.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #39 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 8:57am

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #40 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 1:52pm

rockford_boy wrote on Aug 4th, 2007 at 9:39am:
Can't trust a radio station Promo-person as far as you can throw one. I had a friend win a John Forgety baseball contest with the Cubs. We were supposed to get Farris B seats, drinks, food (parking - major need at Wrigley) and the chance to meet Rhino before the game and get an autographed ball. On top of that, it was a day game, so my friend and I were going to be paid to go to the game! That is because we had to take work off to win the contest.

All we got was the tickets at will-call and all the rest never happened. The promo was all over the radio and news before the event, and not a word about it after the game was over. The station just said, some times the promotions don't work out.

Well, isn't that false advertising!

They are all a bunch of wankers that get free tickets to see bands they would never pay to see anyhow. That is why my view is leave the promotion up to the band, not the wanna-be DJ's.

Well, at any rate, they need to offer something really special for their gaff....For someone who is a huge fan of the band to go on stage during a performance could be the highlight of their life.   For the radio station to say "Oops" but not even to contact the winners is really crummy.  Not that they care, but as we all know, good news travels fast, but bad news travels faster... That really sucks that they didn't follow through

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #41 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 7:54am

I happen to really like this shot of Wally. 

But this one is my favorite!  Maybe it's the shirt! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.