Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
7/12/07 Lansing, MI  Show (Read 1185 times)
bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
7/12/07 Lansing, MI  Show
Jul 10th, 2007 at 10:42pm

July 12th
Common Ground Festival
Lansing, MI
http://www.commongroundfest.com

who is planning on going?
i have to work the next morning so i might not be able to make it  Sad

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Re: 7/12/07 Lansing, MI  Show
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 5:39am

Live a little!  Let's not start to go and act like an old fuddy duddy now! Wink Grin  Sounds like an awesome time!  Just by coincidence, I met someone today who bought her sister tickets for the whole 8 days.  What are the odds that I would meet someone in FL that is from MI and is sending a family member to see The Romantics! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 9:22pm

Hey Bookies ! I'm going w/ my hubby! We're planning to stay up in E. Lansing--I left you a msg. Did you get it?

Lansing is our old stomping grounds from college-- cannot wait to get up there and visiting some of our old watering holes. Smiley

Anyone else going?  LMK? OLdfriend? Buyadodge? Andrew?

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 10:26pm

Can't make this one. I have tickets to see 1964 The Tribute at Meadowbrook the same night.

IP Logged

Timster
YaBB Newbies

It all started right here!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 5:36am

Hey Oldfriend, that's quite a dilemma you have there.  1964 The Tribute is an awesome band.   I'll be seeing them next month.

You got me Bothered, You got me Hot&&I'm Hot & Bothered- I want what you got!

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 11:13am

I did their original promo DVD on a Apple. Just for fun.  Never met the manager, he would call and leave messages from AZ with directions and then wait for the DVD's to arrive.

The stuff they gave me to work with was quite good and I got to see them once in Rockford, very impressive group. The only knock is Ringo doesn't sound like Ringo when singing, otherwise they are spot on.

Enjoy

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 5:20am

ARGH!!!

I still hope to make it up in time for the concert, but my hubby's still at work!!!  If he can get home by 6:45, I'll be able to make it.... Is anyone from the board going at all?

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 11:43pm

well i know you made it so i cant wait to hear your full report pinkbubelz!!
and of course check out some pics!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

The Scoop on the 07/12/07 Lansing Show!
Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2007 at 11:27am

Hey All,

Sorry I haven't had a chance to post...

After rushing up to the show... my hubby and I hung around a bit afterwards and I got home at 4:00 a.m. (yes, A.M!) on Friday--it's only about 1-1/4 hours from our house, and we hadn't really been drinking, so we opted to drive home instead of staying... I then spent most of Friday gardening and cleaning out (1/2) of my garage... Tomorrow's my brother's graduation from Residency party, and I haven't had any time at all to even look at my pictures and see how they turned out...

I did get a shot of the set list and will post it on Monday once all is settled down!

Here's a quick synopsis....

My hubby & I rushed up to Lansing and got there at 8:30 p.m. (the schedule siad that they were going on at 8:15)...it took us another 5 minutes to park... and another 10 minutes (and 3-1/2 songs!) were spent walking back and forth from 2 different gates.... (had I known this, I would have had my hubby drop me off while he parked so that we could save some time!)  Of course, in the meantime, I could hear the band playing and was itching to hop the fence.... LOL

We FINALLY got into the show about 1/2way through their set.  (The first song we heard clearly was 61/49... while walking back and forth.)

The weather was nice-- not scorching hot like it had been over the past week... we got a nice breeze from the river and the crowd was rocking!!! Lots of fans enjoying the show and I thought the guys sounded great! Smiley  There were even some fans seated across the street from the park (outside of the gates)--they looked like they were having fun, too.

The guys looked and sounded relaxed, everything sounded smooth to me and the crowd was very enthusiastic-- I watched the show from the side of the stage for the very first time, (you'll see in my pictures) so I couldn't see how they looked up front, but from the excitement of the audience, I could tell they loved it.  It was a very big stage with plenty of room for the guys to move around...I didn't notice it, but I am told that they also had some big screens showing them from different angles, so that people in back could see everything as well.

It sounded like the fans were hoping for an encore, but the schedule was tight that night, so the guys left the audience wanting more after closing with "What I like About You."  Of course, everyone was bopping to the beat until they stopped playing--lots of whistling and cheering... I'm sure that if the guys could have come up for another 10 songs, the audience would have loved it!

Afterwards, the guys went to sign autographs (I have some photos of that)...Unfortunately, they were waiting to re-order their CDs, so they sold out early.  From the reactions I saw, I'm sure that if they had more CDs, they would have still sold out.  The autograph line seemed to go on forever....Lots of fans, both young and old.  The kids REALLY were excited.  At one point, one girl even asked Coz to talk to her friend on her cell phone (which, unfortunately, I was shooting another photo and couldn't get to the right angle until he had given her back the phone.)  She and her friends were SOOOO excited--even after they had gotten their autographs, they were standing on the side giggling for another 5 minutes.  Another young girl (maybe about 12-14?) had the guys sign the back of her pink tank top.... Her dad (a biker) was on the side--when the guys finished signing her shirt, she ran screaming and jumping up and down to her dad.     I can definitely see that The Romantics are building up a new generation of fans!!   Even the older fans seemed just as excited to have the guys there as the young ones.

They had so many autograph seekers that they finally had to cut things short (it started to rain at that point) so that they could go back to their trailer and pack up for their hotel!

By the way, during their performance, I didn't realize that Marshall Crenshaw was standing next to me! After 25 years a hat, goatee and different glasses, he looked completely different to me. (Marshall Crenshaw went on before the Romantics.) Later, when I realized who he was, I relayed a story to him about how his mom (an English Teacher in my high school (Seaholm H.S.)) had reserved about 100 free tickets for the school around 1982 or so.  The principal ended up distributing them before the scheduled time because 200 students went to the lobby to "wait in line" for the tickets after 1st hour (they were supposed to be given out at noon.) It's too bad I didn't get up there early enough to hear how he sounded... But... I digress...

All-in-all, it was a fun show! I just wish I had made it up to Lansing in time for the introduction of the band... I'm sure it was a grand entrance!!

I'm hoping to get the photos to the proper hands later this week... so hopefully, some of them will be posted on the website... Otherwise, look for a handful of pictures on the Yahoo Group... Smiley

More, later!!!
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2007 at 4:48am by pinkbubelz »  

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 4:58am

Oh my!  I think I'm exhausted after all that!  I feel like I was the one running all over the place!  Thanks for the recap!  Looking forward to the set list to see if anything else has changed!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

persuader
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 10:05pm

Sorry it took so long after the show, I have fallen by the wayside on the message board.  The guys rocked!  I believe they opened with Rock you Up if my memory serves me.  61/49 was shortly thereafter.   They could have played another half hour easy and still had the crowd in the palm of their hand.   A couple friends who are not fans were very impressed with the band.  They liked the energy.   Damn shame the schedule was so tight.  Marshall Crenshaw was good (Graham Maby on bass) but the schedule would have been better if they only had the Romantics and then Starship.  Mickey Thomas can still hit the notes and I was pleasantly surprised by Starship.  The crowd was clamoring for more Romantics.  Hopefully the promoters and band management see opportunities for the band to play MI more.  (The Cherry Festival uses the same booking agent.)

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 10:55am

Persuader-- did you stop by the T-Shirt Tent afterwards to get an autograph? If so, maybe you are in some of my pictures!

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 7:47am

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.