Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
How lucky are we the band is still around (Read 1046 times)
Rob

Don't you put me on hold!

How lucky are we the band is still around
Nov 19th, 2006 at 9:31am

Just a  thought...How lucky are we this band is still around, still touring, still making albums, and getting good, recent publicity? Think about how many of our favorite 80's bands are still around. Not many! This band is touring, getting good pub (VH1 &VH1 Classic), has a great website, and is planning a new album. All pretty amazing considering the issues this band has had to work through over the years.

How many of you remember scouring the internet trying to find anything at all on the Romantics, to no avail?? I remember how excited I was back around 1997  to finally discover Linda Fosters(Tizlin's) Romantics message board over on AOL. A few people from this board, including Kevin1, use to lurk around on that board. By the way, what ever happened to Linda? I remember she was good friends with Wally, and especially Coz.  Anyone know??

Now we have a great website, access to lots of video, and the band has made recent appearances on television. And, I have seem them live twice this year allready, and will see them for a third time on New years eve.

All pretty amazing!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Re: How lucky are we the band is still around
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 9:35am

What is also amazing is the pure fact that 2007 will mark the 30th anniversary of the formation of The Romantics!  How many remember that? Shocked

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 10:18pm

I remember those days well. We used to do a lot of local gigs with the Romantics in little dives in Hamtramck, various hall parties, and places like Bookies and Traxx. It doesn't seem like that long ago.

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 12:17am

the poison apple in Rockford was the early spot for the Romantics when they hit this area, and Headliners in Madison. They still rock and still put out material that is more than worthy compaired to the blender smush the record industry tosses off.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 8:17am

it is pretty amazing!
yeah, with all the things they have going for them right now,
a 30th anniversary tour (product) would be perfect timing!!

IP Logged

jonnie2224

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:15am

How about a petition to the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame for induction ? I live here in Cleveland and I'll deliver it !!!!
If anyone can help me design it....I'll get it done !!
"What I like About You" is such a staple of American music these guys need recognized.

Jonnie

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 6:34pm

I was a charter member of the Hall of Slame and had no voting rights, but was a supporter from the day of construction. I killed my membership last year after Miles Davis was inducted. Great Jazz Musician, Not a Rock Musician.
Kiss, Iggy, Cheap Trick, the list goes on and on with people that should be in there and they are not. The place turned out to be a dissapointment to me. Happy for the music programs for kids, but the politics of Rolling Stone Mag running the show sucked.

Don't expect any warm fuzzy reception for The Romantics suggestion at the Hall. If you are from Ohio they applaud you, even Michale Stanley Band has a small section by the McCoys. There are some big gaps at the Hall which someday I hope they fill.

IP Logged

jonnie2224

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:57am

When the Romantics came here in May for the Rock Hall show. I asked some people on the committee about them getting into the Rock Hall because of them being around for 30 years the said that there is a huge possibility.
Now my younger brothers best friend Nate Tutt...Nates Dad is Ronnie Tutt the drummer of Elvis,Neil Diamond, Jerry Garcia, Roy Orbison..thats him on all the live recording and studio recordings of Elvis and Neil Diamond. Well in 2004 the Rock Hall inducted James Burton he was the guitar player on Ricky Nelson's recordings and Elvis' guitar player through the 70's. His family had people pettiton the Rock Hall to get him in. All I'm saying is lets design a pettion and all put our names on it. I will do all the leg work. What's the worst thing they could say....."NO" ?
Jonnie

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 7:27pm

Very, very true!  Or just ignore us!!!!!!!!!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 9:09pm

I'm sure you can get lotsa "signatures" from all of the thousands of Romantics' "Friends" on MySpace.  Just crank out a few MySpace bulletins and collect the responses until  you have a huge list that can't be ignored.

p.s.--Jonnie--did Ronnie Tutt tour with Elvis Costello around 1990?  I saw Costello's tour with his backing band made up of Elvis Presley's old band, and even though those dudes looked really old, they were damn good!

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

jonnie2224

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 11:55pm

Brew : I don't know...I'll have to check....the only time I know he played with Elvis Costello was when he was on the Roy Orbison Black n White video that they air on TV once in awahile. He was always known as the drummer for Elvis Presley...he was the guy with the beard playing those big blue drums Smiley

As far as the Romantics Rock Hall petition we start playing out again Wednesday...I'll make one up and start having people sign as soon as Wednesday.....I'm going to check with the Rock Hall to see what they require. And then I will post it on our Myspace page and my e-mail list !!

Jonnie

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 2:40am

Your leaving out Jann Wenner. He seems to have some unkown influence over the Hall nominations.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 2:55am

http://www.rockhall.com/hof/process.asp

here is the link to the induction process.

looks like we really need to find out who the Foundation's nominating committee is and approach one of them.

IP Logged

jonnie2224

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 10:24am

I have a phone call into the Rock Hall...believe it or not they are good about calling back within 24hrs.  I have another inside avenue into this matter when I have the details I'll post it. Rockford Boy Thanks for your help on this as well.
I know politics and how they work I get invloved with political campaigns..but you know how the music works....anyway it's worth a shot.Wink

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 10:55am

Well, I, for one, would definitely circulate an online petition! Smiley

Did any of you know that there are a couple of "Fan Groups" of the Romantics on Myspace? I stumbled across them when I first joined.. Smiley

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 8:30pm

Your welcome for my sarcastic help. I was really jazzed and impressed with the Hall when I heard they were finally going to build the place. The Hall is very cool and each year I gave away my tickets to people I know that have relatives and friends out in Ohio, so they could experience the Hall. What has bummed me is the bizarre process that has evolved with the nominations and last years was the tip of the stupidberg. The Sex Pistols (whom only have 1 real lp and a darn good mash up called Swindle) and Miles Davis. My God, put Stanley Clarke in there, or Herbie Hancock or Herb Albert as a musician. Herb rightfully made it in as a record mogul.

The Romantics deserve it and so do many other influential bands, the nomination thing has gone into a werid PC process. C'mon  why isn't Iggy and  The Stoogies in there! They made the nomination list this year, but the door isn't open yet.

I'll sign anything you folks send around, just don't expect much from the nomination. The Hall itself is a great place the politics involved to get inducted is another issue, and if you visit don't forget to go to the science museum that is next door, it's incredible. Fun for kids and Dads.

IP Logged

jonnie2224

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 11:19pm

Rockfordboy You got it dead nuts on !!! I knew you were being sarcastic it's all good. The Rock Hall currently has a "Roy Orbison" display on right now.
Anyway have a great Thanksgiving everyone !!!

IP Logged

mymeka

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 9:48pm

Great thread!  Not sure what happened to Linda Foster!?  But, I've been around for 23 years and am still enjoying The Romantics and their incredible music after all these yaers!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, spent with family and friends, and lots of good food!

Lori

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.