Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees (Read 2891 times)
oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees
Nov 2nd, 2006 at 10:50pm

There are a few groups  and singers nominated this year that should get in with no problem in my opinion. Patti Smith could be considered the godmother of punk. She was playing CBGBs back in the day with the Ramones, Blondie, and the Talking Heads. Iggy and the Stooges should be a no brainer. They were punk before there was punk and have influenced too many bands to mention. The Dave Clark Five are way overdue to get in. In 64 and 65 it could be argued that they were the Beatles biggest rivals on the singles charts. With hits like Glad All Over, Bits And Pieces, Do You Love Me, Can't You See That She's Mine, Because, Any Way You Want It, Everybody Knows, Come Home, Reelin And Rockin, Catch Us If You Can, I Like It Like That, Try Too Hard, Nineteen Days, and You Got What It Takes just to name some, it would be nuts if these guys didn't finally get in. The other no brainer is Van Halen. Was anybody bigger in the 80s? They are a legendary hard rock band and Eddie Van Halen changed the way the guitar is played forever with his hammer ons and tapping. No one did that before Eddie and now just about every hard rock and metal guitar player uses those methods. If they don't get in, it's fixed.

IP Logged

Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
Re: Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 6:43am

FINALLY!!!!!  It's about time The Dave Clark Five get inducted into the Hall Of Fame.How they were overlooked all these years is still a mystery to me.

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 7:55pm

i see that iggy and the stooges provided the music for one of this years inductees, madonna!!!

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:18pm

The Stooges were real cool. So was Joan Jett's high energy version of the Dave Clark Five's "Bits And Pieces". Tom Hanks gave a GREAT speech to induct the DC5. This was long overdue. It would have been nice if the whole band was still alive to be there.

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2008 at 11:35pm

The RnR Hall of Lame (Thanks Jan and Rolling Stone).

I used to be a Charter member of the Hall in Clevland and gave them bucks each year, because the Hall is a great place. But, after the Miles Davis induction and the Rapper inductions (before Iggy-Kiss-Cheap Trick- on and on and on) I dropped my support. I had an email from somebody at the hall (won't say who), that stated they have ZERO control over the nominations and it's all Jan's call at Rolling Stone. So, politics gets you into the Hall not accomplishments.

There would be no punk with out Iggy and the Stooges, yet Madonna goes in?

DC5 was dumped last year by Rolling Stone (you can find plenty of articles on this) and in one years time the singer dies. Instead a Rap group was put in by the "command" of Jan of Stone.

You folks should search for the articles that are now questioning the "so-called" foundation in New York and the very small amount of money given to musical charities. But, they pay the CEO big bucks to run the foundation, actually the last CEO was asked to step down and still gets 150k a year and the new CEO is getting around 300k.

The Hall in Cleavland is great! I love the place, they have earned my donations. That thing in New York every year is a farce.

Time to put on the walking shoes and make my musical selections . . .  Stone Pony, Night Like This, In The Nighttime, Rock You Up, Give Me One More Chance, 61/49  . . .. . . AHHHHHH life just got a little better!

IP Logged

Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 11:55am

rockford boy can probably back me up on this story I heard from other DC5 fanatics like me.The DC5 were actually supposed to be inducted last year,2007, as the 5th musical act to be put into the hall for that year.They had 5 or 6 more votes than Grandmaster Flash who finished 6th,but Jann Wenner didn't think the DC5 were "commercial" enough,and he wanted a rap group inducted instead.
If they weren't commercial enough,or influential enough,then why did they have the biggest actor in the world induct them? Why did they induct them last at the show that night and have an all-star band perform their songs to end the evening,usually reserved for the most prestigious act inducted that night? Maybe Jann Wenner had to swallow his pride and  figured out he screwed up last year (while all 5 members of the DC5 were alive).I know I sound like a hypocrite,but I'm glad the DC5 were finally honored,even though I think the Hall Of Fame is a total sham.And Madonna? Don't get me started.......

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 10:23pm

Kevin64 wrote on Mar 15th, 2008 at 11:55am:
Maybe Jann Wenner had to swallow his pride and  figured out he screwed up last year (while all 5 members of the DC5 were alive).I know I sound like a hypocrite,but I'm glad the DC5 were finally honored,even though I think the Hall Of Fame is a total sham.And Madonna? Don't get me started.......

That pretty much says it all!  Well put!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 11:42pm

Nobody sounded like the Dave Clarkd Five. Their sound was truly their own. While most of the British Invasion bands had that two guitar, bass and drums sound, the Dave Clark Five always had that real fat and heavy sound with Rick Huxley's throbbing bass lines and Dennis Payton's sax really filling out the sound. Add Mike Smith's vox continental which was prominent on just about every song, and you had a blend of instruments that created a unique sound. Then on top of that, you had one of the best rock and roll voices EVER in Mike Smith. From 1964 to around mid 1966, NOBODY rivaled the Beatles on the singles charts in the US (and probably England as well) like the Dave Clark Five did. Just consider all these hits in less than a three year period:
                                      Glad All Over
                                       Bits And Pieces
                                       Do You Love Me
                                       Can't You See That She's Mine
                                       Because
                                       Any Way You Want It
                                       Everybody Knows
                                       Come Home
                                        Reelin And Rockin
                                        I Like It Like That
                                        Catch Us If YOu Can
                                         Over And Over
                                          Try Too Hard
                                         At The Scene
                                         Look Before You Leap
                                         I've Got TO Have A Reason
                                         Please Tell Me Why
                                         You Got What It Takes
Those are some of the songs that charted in the US, plus add to that the songs in England that hit the cahrts after these like Live In The Sky, Red Balloon, Mullberry Tree and several others. These guys should have been inducted close to 20 years ago.

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 5:35am

Nick Lowe is another slight by Jan & Co.

Who was responsible for producing/penning hits for Elvis Costello, The Pretenders (2 Hall members) and other great Brit bands. Don't forget his long on/off Rockabilly relationship with Dave Edmunds and of course his work with Stiff Records.

Dave Clark 5 was cut from last years Hall by Jan for PC reasons, that's it. Talent and influence no longer have a place at the Waldorff Showcase.

Go to Clevland and see the hall, it's a great place.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.