Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Romantics on eBay ... and the Weather Channel? (Read 1240 times)
KGRamone
YaBB Newbies

We want new Romantics
tunes!

Louisville, Ky.
Romantics on eBay ... and the Weather Channel?
Oct 4th, 2006 at 11:42pm

Some interesting tidbits. First off, while scouting for some CDs I want to buy on eBay, I came across this auction. Scroll down until you see the "generic" image of a band in green screen with musical notes flying around them. Recognize those guys? I wonder if the seller got permission to use that image?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Las-BBC-In-Sessions-CD-14-95_W0QQitemZ150041276805QQihZ005QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, the other morning while checking the Weather Channel (while preparing for a road trip), I just happened to catch a segue in which the anchor (or whatever they are called) said (paraphrasing), "We're looking for great weather in Corpus Christi today for the (Whatever) Festival. The Romantics will be playing on the main stage. You remember them -- they sang the song 'What I Like About You,' so check that out if you're in Corpus Christi."

I was still half asleep, but that sure as hell woke me up!

http://www.facebook.com/KGRamone  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Re: Romantics on eBay ... and the Weather Channel?
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 1:31am

Oh, yeah, that's them from 61/49.  The image is generic-ized pretty much though--I doubt if anyone but the most hardcore of Romantics fans would recognize them from that image.    Wink

As for Corpus Christi, we haven't heard any reviews from that show......... Undecided

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 9:26pm

Interesting that you saw and recognized that image.

From the standpoint of copyright--any derivative image (i.e. one that's been altered from another original image) still needs to have approval from the original artist to be used and shown... and at the some acknowledgement to the original artist. (Unless the person using the altered image has compensated the original artist and paid to use the image.)

At least that is what I learned in a seminar on "The Business of Being an Artist".  The other issue is whether or not they are using the image for financial gain.  Either way, the original artist still retains copyright and needs to give their seal of approval before photos can be altered and used....

Note: I'm not a lawyer, but in this day and age of photoshop and digital photos, the issue of copyright and altered images is quite complicated as I understand it...

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 8:43pm

just a heads up:
if you are thinking of bidding on either the autographed fender guitar or the romantics guitar pick on ebay, i am in the process of finding out the authenticity of those items.  seller claims pic is either from the band or one of their representatives. i see this seller has tons of other picks in all shapes, colors and sizes from a variety of artists so we shall see.
stay tuned for the answer.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2007 at 8:31am by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 8:29am

ok, guitar pick is the real mccoy. but worth $10?????

the guitar seller never responded to my email so i would stay away from that one.

now there is a phone supposedly issued by epic records as a promo item.
waiting for the scoop on that item.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 7:15am

Yeah...the "Talking in your Sleep" phone...it looks like someone stuck a sticker on an old phone.    Lips Sealed

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.