Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Little Stevens Underground Garage Shows (Read 4302 times)
Darlacet
Global Moderator

Detroit
Little Stevens Underground Garage Shows
Sep 28th, 2006 at 5:02am

I'll be at the Detroit show.  Can't wait!  

Who else is going?!

IP Logged

mymeka

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Little Stevens Underground Garage Shows
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2006 at 7:11am

I'll be at the Troc show in Philly.  Anyone else headed there?

Lori

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2006 at 7:50pm

I'm gonna try to make the Chicago show....lotsa things hafta line up right for it to happen, but I'm workin' 'em out!

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

jonnie2224

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2006 at 8:40pm

Of Course "the Velvematics" will be at the Cleveland show(which we cancelled a show for)...and I think I'm gonna go up to Buffalo.....

IP Logged

Rob

Don't you put me on hold!

Reply #4 - Sep 28th, 2006 at 9:48pm

Ill be at the San Diego show on Tuesday. This time Ill be sure to get pictures, and will try to meet the band if possible.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 4:14am

Rob, make sure we get a full report!!  And take that camera outta your pocket!!

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

Rob

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 4:19am

Camera is ready!!  Anyone online today that can hook up a meet and greet?? Bookies, Solodka where u b??

IP Logged

Rob

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 2:29pm

Just got back from the show. The band looked and sounded as great as ever. They were held though to a strict 45 minute time limit on their set which just wasn't enough time! I cant figure out why they weren't headlining though. I am a huge music fan and I have never heard of the last band, The Shadows of The Night. They were almost Spinal Tap'ish.....The place sort of cleared out after the Romantics were done. 

I met Wally afterwards and he was genuinely pleasant to talk with. Even got a photo with him I will try and post later.

Here is the set list I can remember off the top of my head. Not in order they played:
Rock You Up
61/49
When i Look In Your Eyes
Midnight To Six
I'm Your Man
Tomboy
What I like
Talkin in Your Sleep
First In line
Devil In me
Shes Got Everything
Out Of My Mind Into My Head

I will try and post photos after I see how they came out.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 10:59pm

Shadows of Knight was that old '60's band famous for the garage classic "G-L-O-R-I-A".  I'm not surprised they look like Spinal Tap--they've gotta all be in their '60's by now, at least.  How were the earlier bands?

IP Logged

Rob

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 11:25pm

The earler bands were pretty decent.  They were all missing one thing though...melodies. I like the Romantics/Ramones style. Rock songs with at least a melody. The Shadows Of The Night sounded allright but they just dont have a look,....did have an awesome bass player though. The Romantics still have "a look" even after all these years. 

BTW,  The Go Go girls were hot  !!!!  Wink

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 1:34am

Dude, I'm with ya on that melody thing.  It's crucial, and too many young bands are lacking the most basic part of the song.

IP Logged

jonnie2224

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 8:37pm

AMEN TO THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jonnie

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 1:22am

Pirate?

Did you catch the Hollywood show?  Anyone?

IP Logged

mymeka

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 2:48am

Looking forward to you posting pics, thanks for the review!

Lori

IP Logged

Justin Verlander
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 6:24am

I'll be at the Chicago show if they decide where it's going to be at!  What time for the Romantics?

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 8:40am

Double Door is the last I saw for Chicago.

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 5:48pm

Those of you heading to the Portland and Seattle shows are in for a great time.  I just returned from the concert in San Francisco!  Two Romantics shows in two months. 

The band packed a lot of songs in their short set.  There was very little chatter, and when they changed guitars they did it quickly so as not to eat up time.  The band played great, and Mike was in top form.  I could hear his guitar better this time than in Vegas.  His playing was amazing.  Brad continued to thrill with his drumstick acrobatics.  Coz played as tight as ever.  And Wally's harmonica playing was especially raw.

As best as I can remember their set list was (and not in this order):

Rock You Up
Midnight to Six
61/49
When I Look in Your Eyes
Come See Me
Talking In Your Sleep
Tom Boy
When the Angels (Hear Me Callin')
First In Line
She's Got Everything
New Kinda Pain
Tallahassee Lassie
What I Like About You

If they keep delivering thess great performances, I may just want to see them again.

P.S.: 
1.  I found the opening act, The Charms, to be quite entertaining.  The band plays well, they have a few good songs, and their lead singer can belt out a tune.
2.  The Shadows of Knight were awful. 
3.  I'm glad the Romantics did not close the show, for the hall emptied out after their set.  I'm sure part of it was because the band the audience came to see had finished their set, but also people had to go to work/school the following day.
4.  I saved Coz for a second time.  Way back when, when the group performed at La Luna in Portland, I rescued Coz' jacket which he left in the bar.  Tonight, I rescued his glasses.

All in all a great night.  Now to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 10:17pm

I have always found it interesting how a band like The Shadows of Knight can take another band's song and have a giant hit with it while the original version hardly makes the charts. I guess Louie Louie is the best example.

IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 11:18pm

Oldfriend, will I see you at the Detroit show?   Smiley

I just saw, too, that the Paybacks and the Fondas will be on the bill for 10/12.  I haven't seen the Fondas since the last LSUG show I saw in Cleveland a few years ago.  It should be fun!

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 11:29pm

Oldfriend,
The original GLORIA was done by Van Morrison when he was part of the 60's group Them, right?  That version had some of the best drumming at the end I had ever heard at the time.  The Shadows of Knight version pales in comparison.

IP Logged

Rob

Reply #20 - Oct 7th, 2006 at 6:01am

I posted a few pictures from the 10/3/06 San Diego show over on the Yahoo site. They should be up as soon as they are approved by the moderator over there.

IP Logged

mymeka

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #21 - Oct 7th, 2006 at 7:54am

So, it's the Charms on first, then the Romantics, then the BAD band!?  Good to know for the Philly show.  What time are the shows starting?

Can't wait for the 18th!

Lori

IP Logged

goldstarsal
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 7:04am

Hey, I use to deliver the Detroit News as a kid & listen to my favorite band of ALL-TIME The Romantics on my walkman cassette player, now my band The Goldstars will be opening the show in Chicago! It's a real thrill for me to be on the same bill as these guys. Hooray!

We also had the pleasure of playing with the Handcuffs a few months back, Brad & Chloe RULE!

I respect the fact that this is a message board about all things Romanitics, but I hope those of you going to the Chicago show early can check us out. We'll be going on first at 9:00 pm.  www.myspace.com/thegoldstars (if you want to check out our sound).

Thanks Guys, Sal

PS: OK die-hard Romantics fans, here is an obscure trivia question: "What original Motor City Rockers song does not appear on their "Rollin' & Tumblin'" CD, but was a live favorite (at least was mine)?

A. Little Miss Love
B. Rockin' At The Ritz
C. Sex Bomb  
D. Shook All Over
E. When The Menz Go Huntin'
F. Die ICP Die

IP Logged

Rob

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 8:56am

I'd have to go with Rockin At The Ritz on this one.....

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #24 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 10:43am

Dennis, that is correct. Them's version was a lot more raw and high energy.

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #25 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 11:46am

Oldfriend,
I forgot to include in my concert review that Cyril Jordon, formerly of the Flamin' Groovies, jammed with the Romantics during the Tallahassee Lassie tune.  After a bit of confusion (my impression), as Wally, Mike and Coz quickly ran over key and chord changes, Cyril joined in.  I had the very great pleasure of meeting Cyril after the show.  What an intelligent, kind and gentle man.  He gave me a copy of their first CD, and put me on the guest list for the next Magic Christian concert (his currrent group).  This was a such a nice addition to the show. 

dennis

IP Logged

goldstarsal
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #26 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 9:24pm

Good guess, but no, Rockin' At The Ritz is not correct. On "Rollin' & Tumblin'" it's called Rockin' The Joint, Jimmy just changed the words to "Ritz" live (or at least when they played the Ritz in Roseville, MI). OK, keep guessing...Sal

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #27 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 9:59pm

Dennis, if you like the Flamin Groovies, make sure to pick up the album "Shake Some Action". Great sixties pop flavored album that will remind you of "Meet The Beatles".

IP Logged

Rob

Reply #28 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 10:53pm

I enjoyed the Rollin And Tumblin album, and even own a Motor City Rockers t-shirt.   It had some great tunes (sex bomb is a personal favorite), and I have always been a Jimmy fan. It also sheds some light on the musical style Jimmy was leaning towards....might be one of the reasons he eventually left the Romantics.

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #29 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 10:29pm

Oldfriend,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll check it out.

dennis

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #30 - Oct 10th, 2006 at 4:54am

Darlacet wrote on Sep 28th, 2006 at 5:02am:
I'll be at the Detroit show.  Can't wait!  

Who else is going?!

Welcome to the boards Darlacet.... but WHO ARE YOU??? How will we know who you are? Will you be wearing a shirt that says "Darlacet" on the back?!

It would be great if you would post on the "fan introductions page" so that we can get to know you!!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

sfsam
YaBB Newbies

Reply #31 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 4:47am

New to this board...long time fan....Saw the San Francisco show...great......Local drummer Prairie Prince was there...Guys looked cool, long night but worth it.
The tour buses are a must see.... 

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #32 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 5:00am

sfsam--tell us about the tour buses!

IP Logged

sfsam
YaBB Newbies

Reply #33 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 7:38am

Stevens Tour buses are full size tour buses with 12 bunks, a front room with tv etc...kitchen things....back room couch and tv etc...
It is painted like his posters, very colorful... with' Little Stevens Rock and roll show' painted on the sides.  Each bus has a small trailer on each bus with the equipt.   The Romantics share a bus with Shadows of Knight....Merchandise person and  a crew guy and manager.

They are bright going down the road...Suggest all check them out..get a photo in front of them...

IP Logged

sfsam
YaBB Newbies

Reply #34 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 1:35pm

Hey all..Hear that The Romantics have been working on interviews for the "AT&T Blue Room" Link on the Unergroundgarage.com

Soon we can see the inteviews plus clips from the concerts....

Heard at the Seattle show that the Shadows went on early ONLY for that show due to a few Shadows had to catch early morning flights.....

Do the Romantics headline any of the shows?

IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #35 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 11:37pm

Who is going to the Detroit show tomorrow???    Smiley

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #36 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 9:56am

I've got a college fair until 8:30, hoping to get there by 9:30 at the latest.  I've heard that the guys don't go on until late, so I am looking forward to being able to see them play again!!! Wink

Unfortunately, I'm having a little cash-flow problem, so I won't be able to make it to Cleveland, but I'll be happy if I can see The Romantics play on Thursday!!! Wink

Who's going?   Maybe we can find a place or time to meet??  Don't know if they'll let me bring in a camera, but I will try to call the club tomorrow and ask if it's okay....

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #37 - Oct 12th, 2006 at 8:11pm

Duane (or anyone out there)--did you make it to the Double Door (Chicago) show last night?  We need a full review!!

IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #38 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 12:34am

The Detroit Free Press has a little blurb on the Detroit show under "The List!" section today.   Smiley  Great picture of the band, but it has Clem in it and not Brad (bummer).
Looking forward to seeing the guys perform tonight!!

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #39 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 1:35am

Duane, let us know that you made it to the Double Door and how the evening went. Tonight I have to remind myself to keep track of the setlist rather than trying to take pictures.   Can't wait to hear how the Double Door went since the Rolling Stones did a show in Chicago last night at Soldier Field.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #40 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 2:19am

Bookies, just take a picture of the setlist, and then sit back, click away, and enjoy the show!

Oh, yeah.....and what a crappy night for an outdoor Stones show--last night was around 40 and rainy/sleety in Milwaukee--I'm sure it wasn't much different in Chicago!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #41 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 3:55am

It's SNOWING in Detroit at the moment!!! ARGH!!!!

Freezing weather, but I'm sure the guys will be HOT tonight!!

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #42 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 4:32am

pinkbubelz wrote on Oct 13th, 2006 at 3:55am:
I'm sure the guys will be HOT tonight!!

Maybe their new friends Loverboy will stop in to play "The Kid is Hot Tonite".    

We are the 80's.

By the way, what about those new pink t-shirts?  Are they available only at the shows?      

IP Logged

trikfan
YaBB Newbies

michigan
Reply #43 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 9:11am

Chicago show was great....as I understand their best crowd yet!
I heard the guys are doing blogs wednesdsay and saturdays for Billboards site, through Lil Stevens Link..
Check it out.  They are talking about what goes on , on the road should be interesting!
Saw the buses they are cool1

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #44 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 11:46pm

Hey darlacet!
Were you at the show? I don't think I met you... Smiley

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #45 - Oct 14th, 2006 at 8:12am

The tour buses were crazy cool, with the paint jobs they had!  My boyfriend bought me a pink Romantics muscle tank top to add to my collection.  I wish we had seen the Fondas, since I really liked them the last time I saw them a couple of years ago.

IP Logged

rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #46 - Oct 14th, 2006 at 8:54am

the final show being tapped. Is it just CT or all the bands and for what broadcast? Anyone have an idea?

IP Logged

trikfan
YaBB Newbies

michigan
Reply #47 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 12:08pm

Hey, does anyone know why the Buffalo show was cancelled?
maybe too much snow?  I thought this info would already be posted?

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #48 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 7:44pm

trikfan, by the time i received the confirmation, i was in the car driving from cleveland to detroit without internet access.    we did however change it on myspace so hopefully the mix-up didn't cause anyone any inconvenience.  yes, it is my understanding that it was cancelled due to the weather conditions.  thanks for the reminder though!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #49 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 8:47pm

If you look on the tour dates on the main page of The Romantics website, it was posted there on Saturday that it was canceled due to weather.   Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2006 at 12:11am by solodka »  
solodkasertze  
IP Logged

buyadodge

KEEP-IN-TOUCH

STERLING
Reply #50 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 8:58pm

talked with wally saturday,  i thought  he said he was still in cleveland watching the game and that    buffalo was snowed in and 300,000 lost power.  the room for the after show party at st andrews was great.

IP Logged

littlewhiteliar
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 12:27am

Saw show at Irving Plaza in NYC...awesome! Except I kep screaming for the guys to play little white lies, and I think they found that amusing...that's cool...just a personal favorite...really impressed with the band though...hope they come back soon! Go Tigers!

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #52 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 12:41am

Welcome littlewhiteliar!!!
Good to have you aboard!
Are you a Michigan native?
or just a Tigers fan?
Either way, if you are a Romantics fan, then you
are very welcome here!!
Thanks for a little peep into the NY show!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #53 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 8:39pm

Check out the link to their interview (Click on the Underground Garage.)

http://blueroom.att.com/mainstage/index.php

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #54 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 1:53am

Doh!
I'm such a dork.. didn't realize that there was already a thread with this link... LOL

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

sfsam
YaBB Newbies

Reply #55 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 2:19pm

Saw the Little Stevens show in SF.....Different kinds of bands from the Oct. tour.
Chesterfield Kings always good to see, the Charms were good, the SuperSuckers were really good, good sound.  NY Dolls were the NY Dolls.
The Romantics would of added a really needed dance vibe of music to this line up.  If the show comes around a must see.

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #56 - Nov 12th, 2006 at 10:35pm

Talking In Your Sleep from Saint Andrews is on Youtube. There are also a couple of songs from Atlanta on Youtube. Love those go go girls!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #57 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 7:02am

I saw Talking in Your Sleep and What I Like About You from Atlanta and this one of Brad from Minnesota,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjEiWokfLMI was added too!  The sound quality from MI and GA is soooooo bad!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #58 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 8:45pm

can't wait to hear if any locals attended the lsug show last night with the new york dolls.  rumor has it there could have been some "interesting" sightings at saint andrew's!

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #59 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 7:14pm

anyone else happen to catch the new york dolls on soundstage over the weekend?
they were fabulous!
wished i would have made the detroit show! Angry

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #60 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 9:03am

For fans of Little Steven's Underground Garage, or even if you aren't,  give a listen this Sunday night, March 25th, and check out a great show.  This week in Segment 1, Steven will be playing "When I Look In Your Eyes," sandwiched in between The Yardbirds and Johnny Kidd and The Pirates.  Segment 2 features the real version of "Come See Me" by The Pretty Things.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.