Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Little Stevens Underground Garage Shows (Read 4292 times)
rockford_boy

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Little Stevens Underground Garage Shows
Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 8:40am

Double Door is the last I saw for Chicago.

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 5:48pm

Those of you heading to the Portland and Seattle shows are in for a great time.  I just returned from the concert in San Francisco!  Two Romantics shows in two months. 

The band packed a lot of songs in their short set.  There was very little chatter, and when they changed guitars they did it quickly so as not to eat up time.  The band played great, and Mike was in top form.  I could hear his guitar better this time than in Vegas.  His playing was amazing.  Brad continued to thrill with his drumstick acrobatics.  Coz played as tight as ever.  And Wally's harmonica playing was especially raw.

As best as I can remember their set list was (and not in this order):

Rock You Up
Midnight to Six
61/49
When I Look in Your Eyes
Come See Me
Talking In Your Sleep
Tom Boy
When the Angels (Hear Me Callin')
First In Line
She's Got Everything
New Kinda Pain
Tallahassee Lassie
What I Like About You

If they keep delivering thess great performances, I may just want to see them again.

P.S.: 
1.  I found the opening act, The Charms, to be quite entertaining.  The band plays well, they have a few good songs, and their lead singer can belt out a tune.
2.  The Shadows of Knight were awful. 
3.  I'm glad the Romantics did not close the show, for the hall emptied out after their set.  I'm sure part of it was because the band the audience came to see had finished their set, but also people had to go to work/school the following day.
4.  I saved Coz for a second time.  Way back when, when the group performed at La Luna in Portland, I rescued Coz' jacket which he left in the bar.  Tonight, I rescued his glasses.

All in all a great night.  Now to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 10:17pm

I have always found it interesting how a band like The Shadows of Knight can take another band's song and have a giant hit with it while the original version hardly makes the charts. I guess Louie Louie is the best example.

IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 11:18pm

Oldfriend, will I see you at the Detroit show?   Smiley

I just saw, too, that the Paybacks and the Fondas will be on the bill for 10/12.  I haven't seen the Fondas since the last LSUG show I saw in Cleveland a few years ago.  It should be fun!

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 11:29pm

Oldfriend,
The original GLORIA was done by Van Morrison when he was part of the 60's group Them, right?  That version had some of the best drumming at the end I had ever heard at the time.  The Shadows of Knight version pales in comparison.

IP Logged

Rob

Don't you put me on hold!

Reply #20 - Oct 7th, 2006 at 6:01am

I posted a few pictures from the 10/3/06 San Diego show over on the Yahoo site. They should be up as soon as they are approved by the moderator over there.

IP Logged

mymeka

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #21 - Oct 7th, 2006 at 7:54am

So, it's the Charms on first, then the Romantics, then the BAD band!?  Good to know for the Philly show.  What time are the shows starting?

Can't wait for the 18th!

Lori

IP Logged

goldstarsal
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 7:04am

Hey, I use to deliver the Detroit News as a kid & listen to my favorite band of ALL-TIME The Romantics on my walkman cassette player, now my band The Goldstars will be opening the show in Chicago! It's a real thrill for me to be on the same bill as these guys. Hooray!

We also had the pleasure of playing with the Handcuffs a few months back, Brad & Chloe RULE!

I respect the fact that this is a message board about all things Romanitics, but I hope those of you going to the Chicago show early can check us out. We'll be going on first at 9:00 pm.  www.myspace.com/thegoldstars (if you want to check out our sound).

Thanks Guys, Sal

PS: OK die-hard Romantics fans, here is an obscure trivia question: "What original Motor City Rockers song does not appear on their "Rollin' & Tumblin'" CD, but was a live favorite (at least was mine)?

A. Little Miss Love
B. Rockin' At The Ritz
C. Sex Bomb  
D. Shook All Over
E. When The Menz Go Huntin'
F. Die ICP Die

IP Logged

Rob

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 8:56am

I'd have to go with Rockin At The Ritz on this one.....

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #24 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 10:43am

Dennis, that is correct. Them's version was a lot more raw and high energy.

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #25 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 11:46am

Oldfriend,
I forgot to include in my concert review that Cyril Jordon, formerly of the Flamin' Groovies, jammed with the Romantics during the Tallahassee Lassie tune.  After a bit of confusion (my impression), as Wally, Mike and Coz quickly ran over key and chord changes, Cyril joined in.  I had the very great pleasure of meeting Cyril after the show.  What an intelligent, kind and gentle man.  He gave me a copy of their first CD, and put me on the guest list for the next Magic Christian concert (his currrent group).  This was a such a nice addition to the show. 

dennis

IP Logged

goldstarsal
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #26 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 9:24pm

Good guess, but no, Rockin' At The Ritz is not correct. On "Rollin' & Tumblin'" it's called Rockin' The Joint, Jimmy just changed the words to "Ritz" live (or at least when they played the Ritz in Roseville, MI). OK, keep guessing...Sal

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #27 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 9:59pm

Dennis, if you like the Flamin Groovies, make sure to pick up the album "Shake Some Action". Great sixties pop flavored album that will remind you of "Meet The Beatles".

IP Logged

Rob

Reply #28 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 10:53pm

I enjoyed the Rollin And Tumblin album, and even own a Motor City Rockers t-shirt.   It had some great tunes (sex bomb is a personal favorite), and I have always been a Jimmy fan. It also sheds some light on the musical style Jimmy was leaning towards....might be one of the reasons he eventually left the Romantics.

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #29 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 10:29pm

Oldfriend,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll check it out.

dennis

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.