Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gotta Love The Dollar Store (Read 947 times)
solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Gotta Love The Dollar Store
Sep 1st, 2006 at 7:32pm

Is anyone else addicted to these stores?  Is it only women?  I love Dollar Stores! 

Top Five Great Dollar-Store Buys

By Kelli B. Grant   Published: July 26, 2006

FEEL LIKE A DOLLAR just doesn't go as far as it used to? Then it's time for a trip to the dollar store.

Americans are hooked on these quirky shops, which sell everything from alphabet soup to zebra-print underwear. Nearly three-quarters of Americans make regular trips to so-called dollar discount stores, according to a 2005 study by Retail Forward, a market research firm.

Most dollar stores are franchises under one of the five big national chains ? Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, Fred's Super Dollar and 99 Cents Only. The rest are local mom-and-pop shops. With few exceptions, their inventories are remnants from wholesalers, which not only explains why you'll see such variety week to week and store to store, but also how prices are kept so low. True to the store name, the majority of items are priced at $1 or so, though many stores supplement their inventory with more expensive items. They may also cut profit a little on less expensive items, offering them priced at two, three or more for $1.

Not everything is a great deal at the dollar store. We'd suggest you stay away from vitamins, electrical cords and batteries. But we've collected five items you'd be foolish not to buy:

1) Cleaning Supplies
You'll find everything from mops and sponges to dish detergent, window cleaner and stain remover at your local dollar store. Most of these products will be private labels developed for discount stores, though you may spot a brand name or two.

Most have the same ingredients as the brand names, just slightly more diluted. "They have to find some way to make it 99 cents," says Carolyn Forte, homecare director for the Good Housekeeping Institute. Unless you've got a job that requires more than a little elbow grease ? say, removing some seriously built-up grime from the tub or cleaning a red wine stain off the carpet ? these off-brand products should suit you just fine, she says.

2) Gift Wrap
Putting together a pretty package doesn't mean you need to spend a small fortune on wrapping paper, tissue and ribbon, says Constance Richards, author of "Creative Giftwraps." You can be just as creative with dollar store materials for a fraction of the cost.

In addition to conventional wrapping paper, dollar stores offer other items that can be used as wrapping materials, from placemats and bandanas to glittery hairclips (a fun and functional replacement for bows and ribbons).

3) Snacks
Hershey's With Almonds chocolate bar. Check. Planter's peanuts and Wise potato chips. Check, check. Dollar stores carry much of the brand-name candy and snack food you'll see in the aisles of your local supermarket. Don't expect hefty savings ? maybe 50 cents or so at most. But even that can add up quickly if you're stocking up for a party, buying bags of Halloween candy or just feeding your sweet tooth.

4) Shampoo
Whether you're spending $1 for dollar-store shampoo or $20 on a pricey salon brand, that money is going one place ? down your shower drain, says Paula Begoun, author of "Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me." "The notion that expensive means better is a joke," she says. No matter which kind of shampoo you buy, there are only minor differences in ingredients and concentration ? not enough to affect how clean your hair gets.
Save your cash instead for your favorite conditioner, suggests Begoun. That's one product where you'll see more of a difference brand to brand.

5) Kitchen accessories
When you're trying to coax the last bit of batter out of your mixing bowl and into the cake pan, it doesn't much matter where the silicone spatula you're using came from. You'll find plenty of kitchen accessories at dollar stores, from standbys like measuring cups and can openers to esoteric gadgets like melon ballers and egg slicers. One caveat: You might not want to buy anything with a blade, unless you don't plan on cutting food tougher than butter.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Re: Gotta Love The Dollar Store
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 10:03pm

I had a make-up emergency one time, and didn't have any lipstick.  2 tubes of lip gloss (that I could blend together) only cost me $1!!  They actually looked pretty good!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 11:47pm

I would be hesitant to buy make-up from there because you never know how old it is!!!  I have a thing with expiration dates!  But I guess you can go by the rule, if it smells funny- then throw it away!!!!!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

andi
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 9:12am

Hello Romantics.....great show in Vegas...hadn't seen you guys around for a while.
New to this board  but not to others....BUT don't you have to have copy right permission to post other peoples  stories....just a thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 11:33am

You are making more people aware of an artist/writer etc.  You also are not doing anything for profit.  If you are not doing it for capital gain it is ok. This is a message board for The Romantics Fans.  Not advertising.  We are here to speak about whatever you want.  Is it any different if you post a link to an article and let someone read it?  Same thing.  It only makes viewing easier.
Read this article for further info:

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectID/C3E49F67-1AA3-4293-9312FE5C119B5806/310...

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 11:45am

Also, look at myspace sites.  Look at everyone's page.  They have picked songs to have played on their website when viewed.  They are all using songs without permission for downloads.  But since they are not using them for capital gains or for any type of branding it is OK.  Copyright infringement is a very tricky thing.  It's the same with photographs.  Not a black and white issue, no pun intended.  When it is your likeness you have the right to use it.  Again, it gets pretty complicated, but I have been involved in a lot of issues related to this and believe me, their are a lot of rights involved!!!!!!!!!! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 6:48pm

Copyright is definitely a fine line to tread. My sister is an entertainment lawyer and many years of study go behind learning the details of copyright law...

One thing-- I think it also depends on whether you represent an article as your  own or if you reference it. (i.e. like writing a research paper).... If you reference the author or originator, then you are acknowledging who created the item and giving them credit.  Bigger problems come when you use other people's work and then mis-represent it to be your own....(plagiarism)

You also can't take someone else's pictures, reproduce it and alter it and represent it as your own.... That would be called "derivative works" and the original artist still retains the copyright (It is assumed) unless they have given up the rights.  Someone online was getting into huge trouble over copying people's artworks and reproducing it on lightswitch covers and then selling them for profit.   Kinko's got into huge trouble years ago when they first opened up because they were reproducing pages from textbooks as "coursepacks" for professors at universities....   Many places won't even scan or reproduce pictures that appear to be from a photo studio unless the person with the photos have a note from the studio (or the negatives.)..

There is such a thing as "reasonable use" or borrowing images for "educational use", but like Solodka says, that has a lot to do with whether or not you are  making profit from your use.

Note: By the way, I didn't refer to my sister , but this is what I understand after attending a workshop regarding business matters for artists.

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 12:47am

Oh Oh! If you guys are worried about things like copyrights, you better send back all your copies of Meet The Romantics. HaHa! Just kidding. As far as dollar stores, when they start selling six packs for a buck, I'll be there.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 7:55am

Oldfriend-- didn't you get approval from the guys for that CD?  Grin  We'll just blame it on you...

By the way, Dennis told us that he picks up bottles of (good) wine at the 98 cent stores in California--
You might want to ask him to ship you a few sometime!!!

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 8:30pm

Yeah, that T.J.Swann is some good stuff!!

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 9:27pm

I don't have to go to California to get some of that awesome Ripple Pagan Pink.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2006 at 5:08am

Oldfriend:

LOL--
Actually, Dennis told us that the wineries will massively discount "last year's vintage" and put them in some of the stores. He's the one to talk to... LOL

BTW-- I thought you might be more of a moonshine man... LOL

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2006 at 10:57pm

Years ago I actually tried some real moonshine and thought I was going to choke to death. Never again!

IP Logged

dennis

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 12:40am

Most of the wines offered at the 98cent stores are ones which have passed the industry accepted length of time a bottle may age before it begins to go flat.  They also carry wines which for one reason or another never caught on (marketing ploys: one from Australia came in a blue bottle) (wines from India and Spain).  What I generally do is buy one each of five different wines to see if any are promising.  I have purchased some real gems and others I used as drain cleaner.  Whenever I detect a gem, I purchase several cases.  Just think of it, walking out of a store with three cases of wine for only $36.00.  In any event, the bargains are out there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.