Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RIP Bruce Gary (Read 1064 times)
bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
RIP Bruce Gary
Aug 23rd, 2006 at 5:34pm

THE KNACK's original drummer BRUCE GARY has lost his battle with lymphoma. He was 54.
4/7/51--8/22/06

very sad news.  if anyone would like to send a sympathy card to bruce's mom, contact me for the address.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Re: RIP Bruce Gary
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 5:13am

Celebrated '70s Rock Drummer Dies at 55
Bruce Gary, who not only played the distinctive guitar riff for the Knack's 1979 hit "My Sharona" but also collaborated with George Harrison, Bob Dylan and Stephen Stills, died on Aug. 22 from complications of lymphoma in Tarzana, Calif., reports The Associated Press. He was 55.

"You didn't know Bruce Gary. But I guarantee if you were capable of conscious thought in the summer of 1979, you knew Bruce Gary's handiwork. You may, in fact, have been driven to the brink of insanity by it," writes John Kelly in The Washington Post. "Drummers everywhere--from Def Leppard's one-armed skins basher to amateurs whose only percussion is pencils-on-desks, fingers-on-steering-wheels--should mourn his passing. Few are the drummers who so resolutely pound their way into the nation's skull."

Featured on The Knack's first album in 1979, "My Sharona" was a top-selling pop single for six weeks and helped the album, "Get the Knack" go platinum. Six million copies were ultimately sold worldwide. Later, Gary collaborated with many of rock's legends. In addition to Harrison, Dylan and Stills, Gary recorded with Cream's Jack Bruce, Rod Stewart, Sheryl Crow, Bette Midler, Yoko Ono, Harry Nilsson and The Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger, notes AP. He worked with blues masters Albert Collins, Albert King and John Lee Hooker and toured with former Eagles member Randy Meisner and Spencer Davis. In early August, The Knack's lead singer Doug Fieger underwent surgery in Los Angeles for brain tumors.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 5:51am

This blew me away when I saw it in this mornings paper.Sad news.Bruce was a very,very,very underrated drummer.

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

PIRATE
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

SANTA FE SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2006 at 11:32am

gosh so dammed young.....it seems we have lost a few in recent years at such a early age...may he rest in peace.

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.