Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Case of the Beatles' final sessions ' (Read 1510 times)
solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
The Case of the Beatles' final sessions '
Jul 11th, 2006 at 11:25pm

Beatles' final sessions 'stolen'
The Beatles
The tapes were recorded during sessions for Let It Be
Stolen tapes of The Beatles' last recording sessions were put up for sale for 250,000, a court has been told.

The 504 tapes contain about 80 hours of material, including 200 cover versions, Southwark Crown Court has heard.

Nigel Oliver, 55, from Slough, is on trial on charges of handling stolen goods. He is accused of trying to sell the tapes on behalf of two unknown men.

He has been found unfit to plead. The lost 1969 recordings were recovered in an undercover operation in 2003.

"These tapes have a huge commercial value," said Neil Aspinall, who manages The Beatles' Apple Corps label.

The tapes were stacked up in boxes on the floor of the house
Rachid Bourammani
Dutch investigator
"There's lots of very unknown stuff and music they wouldn't have recorded in a normal session," he told the court.

"For example, they covered over 200 songs on these tapes. Songs of the day, such as Bob Dylan."

The recordings were made for the band's final album, Let It Be.

Undercover operation

Oliver was arrested in January 2003 during an undercover operation set up by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).

The court heard that he organised the transaction between two men in Amsterdam and two undercover officers in the UK, and was caught while waiting for his payment.

The recordings were found during a search of a house in Lisse, Holland.

"The tapes were stacked up in boxes on the floor of the house," Dutch investigator Rachid Bourammani said. "There were lots and lots of them."

The case continues on Wednesday.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

davidduran
YaBB Newbies

Re: The Case of the Beatles' final sessions '
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 2:43pm

Some, if not most of these songs have surfaced on un-official CD releases. However, it would be best to wait until they are professionally produced for a true release. Some of those Beatles boots are a waste of money, while others are satisfactory.

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 10:10pm

I am pretty sure that this stuff has turned up on a couple of different bootleg sets taken from the camera reels. I have a 17 cd set called Thirty Days which has gathered all of the most listenable stuff from the Let It Be sessions. There is another longer set called Day By Day which has every bit of dialogue, every cough, every fart, the Beatles tuning their guitars, and all of the sloppy jams that they did. This set is hard to listen to more than once for even the most diehard fan. Even the Thirty Days set is something I have to really be in the mood for before I dig out one of those cds. Really, how many different versions of Let It Be  or any other of those songs do you really need to hear?  The original "Get Back" album has been booted numerous times with a couple of different finished mixes, and when they released "Let It Be Naked", that pretty much was it as far as anything that would be worth releasing.

IP Logged

Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2006 at 10:31am

Oldfriend, I agree with you 100%.I,too,have heard most of the bootlegs from the Let It Be sessions.It's pretty cool to run through them and listen to them once,but that's about it.I'm sure even the most die-hard Beatle fans like us agree that the Get Back/Let It Be recordings are sub-par compared to all the other wonderful material they produced over a short period of time.I do have to admit that a great job was done on "Let It Be Naked".But,as music critic David Hinckley wrote about Let It Be:
"Even The Beatles at their worst are better than 95% of all the Rock'N'Roll bands that ever existed".

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.