Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Barbaro Updates (Read 3400 times)
bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Barbaro Updates
May 18th, 2006 at 8:37pm

leg 2 of the triple crown coming up this saturday.  anyone care to select just for fun?
sweetnorthernsaint should run much better at this track

1 Like Now  
2 Platinum Couple  
3 Hemingway's Key  
4 Greeley's Legacy  
5 Brother Derek  * (5)
6 Barbaro  * (1)
7 Sweetnorthernsaint  * (7)
8 Bernardini
9 Diabolical

* indicates ran in kentucky derby
(0) indicates place at finish in ky derby
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2006 at 7:11pm by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Re: Preakness 131
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2006 at 11:41pm

Just for fun:

Hemingway's Key
Diabolical
Barbaro

to win, place and show.

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2006 at 7:45am

Hmmm,
I like:

SweetNorthernSaint
Berndardini
Brother Derek

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Boris

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2006 at 3:41pm

Barabaro
Brother Derek
SweetNorthernSaint

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #4 - May 20th, 2006 at 8:22pm

Well Boris!  I think your picks are what I picked for the Kentucky Derby!  Makes me wonder if I should have stayed the same!  Hmmm.........

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #5 - May 20th, 2006 at 11:50pm

sweetnorthernsaint
barbaro
diabolical

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2006 at 9:28am

watching this as it unfolded was absolutely heartwrenching. Sad

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #7 - May 21st, 2006 at 10:01am

Poor horse!  I hope they don't have to put him to sleep!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Pac-Man
God Member

Chomping Away

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2006 at 2:53pm

I wasn't around to watch this but I would have picked Brother Derek had I logged on here earlier.  Well there will not be a triple crown winner this year.   Cool

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2006 at 6:58pm

Barbaro update:

Barbaro sustained a broken cannon bone above the ankle, a broken sesamoid bone behind the ankle and a broken long pastern bone below the ankle. The fetlock joint - the ankle - was dislocated.
Richardson said the pastern bone was shattered in "20-plus pieces."
The bones were put in place to fuse the joint by inserting a plate and 23 screws to repair damage so severe that most horses would not be able to survive it.

chances for recovery still 50-50.  very sad.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2006 at 8:16pm

The odds could be worse!  Let's hope and pray for the best!  He seems like a tough horse!  Hopefully he will come through it all and have some fine colts!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2006 at 7:28pm

i heard a vet say that it will be touch and go for a few months.
he made it through the surgery ok but other complications are possible.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2006 at 7:57pm

Yes, they are worried about infections and him kicking his cast off!  But his chances are good if he avoids both!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #13 - May 25th, 2006 at 9:19am

Continued......

``I know these people, and they love this horse,'' said Dan Rosenberg, president of Three Chimneys in Midway, Ky., where Smarty Jones stands for a stud fee of $100,000. ``Yes, this is a business. But at the same time if you don't care about them, then you can't do this.''

Rosenberg also said it was premature to put a price tag on Barbaro's value as a stallion.

The Jacksons have been in racing for 30 years, and Barbaro is by far the best horse they've owned.

``When one becomes a racehorse owner, one of the things is to not fall in love with the animal because it is so painful when something like this happens,'' Gretchen Jackson said. ``Yes, we've experienced this before ... it's part of life.''

Roy Jackson said Barbaro was insured, and the premiums grew after the colt won the Florida Derby and the Kentucky Derby. The owners also have a policy that protects them in case Barbaro is unable to stand at stud.

The Jacksons could have made the decision not to go through the expense of trying to save Barbaro, and likely would have collected on their policy.

``If they went to the insurance company and said they made a decision to destroy the horse, there would be no questions,'' Rosenberg said. ``But they didn't.''

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 8:01am

barbaro needs our prayers again:

Doctor Says 'Tough Days Ahead' for Barbaro
Kentucky Derby Winner Suffers Serious Setback

KENNETT SQUARE, Pennsylvania (July 10) - Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was facing major problems for the first time since surgery to repair the right hind leg he shattered in the Preakness seven weeks ago, with Dr. Dean Richardson saying ''we're in tough times right now.''

Barbaro had the cast on the leg replaced for a sixth time Monday - the fourth time in a week. The latest development followed many hours of surgery Saturday night when doctors replaced the metal plate and many screws and also treated an infection.

''I think we're in for tough times right now. I think we're going to have some tough days ahead,'' Richardson said at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center. ''I'm being realistic about it. When a horse has a setback like this, it's a problem.''

Richardson, the chief surgeon at the New Bolton Center, looked haggard during the briefing, and said it took more than 15 hours from the start of Saturday's surgery before Barbaro had fully recovered from anesthesia.

He said Barbaro was back in his stall in the intensive care unit, where he's been since the catastrophic injury occurred just a few hundred yards after the start of the Preakness.

''Right now, he's happier,'' Richardson said. ''He's got a normal heart rate, normal temperature, he's eating like crazy. He's very hungry. He's making lots of manure. He looks actually pretty happy today. Now we have to see how he responds to what's going on.''

The long cast applied Saturday night was replaced by a shorter cast Monday, and was done with Barbaro in a sling and under mild sedation,'' Richardson said.

''The long cast was used as extra support during the anesthetic recovery phase,'' Richardson said. ''It is much easier for him to move around his stall and get up and down with a short cast. We also found and treated an abscess in his left hind foot that was bothering him.''

Barbaro is receiving pain medication, antibiotics and other supportive care, Richardson added.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Re: Preakness 131 (Prayers for Barbaro)
Reply #15 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 8:43am

Eating is always a good sign!  I'll say some horse prayers!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #16 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 5:29pm

and yet another setback:

Barbaro's Condition Is 'Potentially Serious'
Kentucky Derby Winner 'Facing Tough Odds'
By DAN GELSTON
AP

KENNETT SQUARE, Pennsylvania (July 12) - Barbaro's condition turned "potentially serious" again Wednesday, a day after the Kentucky Derby winner's veterinarian gave a more upbeat report, saying the colt was stable and resting comfortably.
Dean Richardson, the chief surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center, also said the colt faced "tough odds" and that doctors were looking at all possible treatments to keep the 3-year-old comfortable.
"Our entire staff is determined to do all they can for this magnificent horse," Richardson said in a statement issued by the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals.

A New Bolton Center spokeswoman said there will be an update on Barbaro's condition at a news conference Thursday.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #17 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 8:34pm

"Our entire staff is determined to do all they can for this magnificent horse," Richardson said.

Could it be time for the Ted Williams cryogenic treatment for Barbaro?   Undecided

Keep those horsey prayers going, Solodka!

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #18 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 9:50pm

Hey the Ted Williams museum isn't far from me!  I don't know if he's stored there though! Hmmm........

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #19 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 4:58am

Dean Richardson, the chief surgeon who has been treating Barbaro since the colt suffered catastrophic injuries in the Preakness on May 20, said the Derby winner's chances of survival are poor.

this is very upsetting to me Cry

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #20 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 9:13pm

But as of this morning, things were getting a bit better for Mr. Barbaro! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: Barbaro Updates
Reply #21 - Jul 20th, 2006 at 7:12pm

Jul 19 2006
Barbaro remains in stable condition with good vital signs after a restful night and continues to eat well a week after the bad news about laminitis in he left hind foot.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #22 - Jul 21st, 2006 at 5:39am

Way to go Barbaro!  Glad to hear it!   Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #23 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 12:58am

Maybe he'll avoid the glue factory or end up becoming dog food.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #24 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 8:50am

no worries there,  they only use the thoroughbreds for fast food meat!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #25 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 10:37pm

Gross!  Of all people I would never have thought that you, Bookies, would encourage all of this talk!!!!!!!! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #26 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 12:05am

i wasn't encouraging this talk, i was DIS-couraging animal consumption!

IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #27 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 1:12am

I really hope that Barbaro continues to heal well.  I had a beloved horse that shattered one of his fetlocks (similar injury to Barbaro's), and we had to put him down.  He's still the sweetest horse I've ever owned, but we knew that if tried to save him, he would never be the same.  Barbaro is fortunate to have a lot of money behind him to take care of him during his very long road to recovery.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #28 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 6:12pm

July 24, 2006
MEDICAL UPDATE: Barbaro's condition remained unchanged over the weekend and he is maintaining an "excellent attitude" as he recovers from a shattered right hind leg and laminitis in his left hind leg, according to Dean Richardson, the chief surgeon attending the Kentucky Derby winner.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #29 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 9:31pm

Let's hope that Barbaro keeps up this excellent attitude!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #30 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 8:38am

finally something really hopeful to report!
July 26, 2006-

Barbaro appeared to be faring "as well as can be expected," according to his surgeon, on Wednesday after having the cast on his laminitic left hind leg changed Tuesday, and an infection in his broken right hind leg appears to be "under control."

In a statement issued Wednesday morning by the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center, chief surgeon Dr. Dean Richardson said, "I'm happy with the appearance of this foot, which is doing as well as can be expected."

Richardson previously had said that he would regularly change the cast on Barbaro's left hind foot. About two weeks ago, Barbaro developed laminitis, a painful and potentially fatal hoof disease that can be caused when horses shift too much weight off an injured leg and onto a healthy leg. Richardson removed about 80 percent of the hoof wall then.

Earlier this week, the Baltimore Sun reported that Barbaro's treatment includes nutritional supplements that should help stimulate hoof growth. The regrowth process will take months.

In early July, Barbaro also developed an infection in his right hind leg, the leg he shattered during the May 20 Preakness Stakes. On July 8, in a bid to clear up the infection, Richardson replaced the compression plate and most of the 27 screws he had inserted in the right hind leg after the accident.

"Over the last several days, his temperature has been normal and his blood work has significantly improved, suggesting that the infection in his right hind is under control," Richardson said Wednesday.

The Wednesday statement also noted that Barbaro's heart rate is consistently normal, "a good indication that he is stable and comfortable."

Barbaro remains in intensive care at the New Bolton Center's George D. Widener Large Animal Hospital.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #31 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 5:52pm

Glenye Cain, Daily Racing Form   8/2/2006   

Barbaro news and updates

Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro is showing good signs of healing in his broken right hind leg, according to his surgeon, Dr. Dean Richardson.

Smiley

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #32 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 8:08pm

In case you were wondering:

Barbaro Injury Update 
From Cindy Pierson Dulay

Nov 9 2006
Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro's right hind leg cast was removed November 6, according to his medical team. "Barbaro was placed under general anesthesia for the cast removal," said Dr. Dean W. Richardson, Chief of Surgery. "In addition, his foot was trimmed and a new shoe glued on. A padded bandage with plastic and fiberglass splints was placed on his lower limb for support."

Barbaro's lower right hind leg had been in a cast since surgery at Penn's George D. Widener Hospital following his accident at the Preakness on May 20. "He had a perfect pool recovery and immediately stood; he walked easily back to his stall," said Dr. Richardson. "He used all of his legs quite well."

Barbaro's left hind foot, which had laminitis, was also fully evaluated while he was under anesthesia.
"There are no signs of new problems with that foot, but the hoof needs several more months of growth before we will know how much foot structure and function will be recovered," said Dr. Richardson.
The next update will be posted on Tuesday, November 14, unless there is a significant change in Barbaro's condition.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #33 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 1:56am

RIP Barbaro
you gave it a gallant effort! Cry

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #34 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 10:01pm

Very, very sad!  I just heard the news.  The horse had been through a lot!  It was an amazing race and now he will forever be at the finish line!  RIP Barbaro.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.