Send Topic Print
American Idol (Read 681 times)
solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
American Idol
May 12th, 2006 at 6:43pm

I know that most people on this board probably wouldn't ever admit to watching American Idol, but I do, and I have to say that I was a bit disappointed at the voting off of my favorite, Chris. 

Idol's Chris: Getting Cut Was 'Gut Wrenching'
Thursday May 11, 2006 6:15pm EST (updated)
By Carrie Borzillo-Vrenna

CREDIT: RAY MICKSHAW / WIREIMAGE

It wasn't only the audience that was stunned by rocker Chris Daughtry's exit from American Idol on Wednesday: Chris himself was "shocked."

More on this story
Idol Style Makeovers
Idol Watch: Can Taylor Win?

"It was definitely a gut-wrenching moment," he said Thursday. "I wasn't expecting it, not even a little bit."

If fact, the singer said he thought Ryan Seacrest, who abruptly announced that Daughtry had been cut, was kidding. "I thought he was building it up to be like people thought I was going home and then say, 'Chris you can sit down.' I thought there was going to be some sort of 'just kidding' factor there."

After receiving so much praise from the judges and fans during the competition, Daughtry said it's hard to imagine not being the next American Idol.

"It's weird because you have all these people telling you for weeks now, 'Oh man you're gonna win this thing. You're gonna win this thing. This is your thing to win. ' And when you have so many people telling you that, you automatically assume this is what American wants."

Asked why he thought he got cut, Daughtry said, "The only thing I can think of is maybe everybody just thought I was shoo-in and didn't vote."

The Idol judges – and the other finalists – were also taken aback by the news, said Daughtry. "Everyone was pretty much speechless. Randy was saying, 'Don't worry about it man you're gonna be fine.' Paula was crying too much to really say anything. And Simon was pretty shocked. He said he didn't see this coming and he just wished me the best of luck."

The luck has already started. The band Fuel has offered him a spot as their frontman. They first hinted that they were eyeing Daughtry in March when the group's Web site said they were looking for a singer and liked his performing style.

"He's perfect for Fuel. He has the right voice, the right look. It would be perfect," the band's manager, Paul Geary, told PEOPLE on Thursday.

Good for him!  Good luck Chris!  I'll be looking forward to hearing the new addition to Fuel!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Re: American Idol
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2006 at 3:17am

The Daily Whisper
Hottest Scoop on the 'Net

Another 'Idol' Voting Controversy?
"American Idol" fans have been left to theorize how Chris Daughtry, one of the season's most-talked-about contestants -- and the odds-on favorite to win the competition -- could have been eliminated from the show. Could the answer possibly lie within the show's voting phone lines?
Online message boards are burning up with a groundswell of complaints from "Idol" faithful about voters receiving busy signals and mis-directed calls during the voting period.
The owner of Nancy's Restaurant in east Greensboro, North Carolina, Henry Wicker, tells the Greensboro News-Record that "We've had people in here today who tried to call and kept getting a busy signal. How can you vote if you can't get through? They felt like it wasn't fair."
A family friend, Tracey Adams, tells the Associated Press that some of Daughtry's fans from his hometown were hearing another singer's voice thanking them for their vote, a problem echoed on online message boards and radio stations across the country. MSNBC cites fan feedback received by the news outlet as having pegged the voice as belonging to contestant Katharine McPhee, Daughtry's "bottom two" companion who had emerged from the Tuesday performance show as the odds-on favorite to be eliminated from the competition after forgetting some of her song lyrics.
While "Idol" producers have yet to comment on the voting complaints, some of Daughtry's fans -- having already expressed their desire to quit watching "Idol" over his ousting -- are suggesting that the singer try out for "Rock Star," the Mark Burnett-led summer reality series that helped J. D. Fortune re-ignite the Australian group INXS as their new lead singer.
However, Reality TV Magazine reports that during a recent media conference call, Daughtry -- who has already been offered the opportunity to become the lead singer of the group "Fuel" -- revealed that he had tried out for the first "Rock Star," but that "it didn't go too well, obviously. But no, I didn't make it on that show and I realized then that was because I was supposed to be on this show."
The singer reportedly went on to claim that he has no plans to try out for "Rock Star" again, but will Chris have a second shot at "Idol" glory? Stay tuned!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2006 at 12:28pm

I'm an Idol fan...
I thought Chris was okay, but a little too predictable and "commercial" sounding for my taste... I'm more of a Taylor fan and Elliot has surprised me by becoming the "Cinderella" of this year--They've glammed him up quite a bit.

I thought the way Ryan Seacrest told him was terrible and the silence in the theatre really said a lot.  I think it was particularly mean-spirited and more so than I would expect for a G-rated show.  It was terrible for him to hype up someone and then to throw him down like that!  Even Katherine expected to be booted off (and she should have been!)

Although, I'm sure that Chris will have no trouble in getting signed somewhere, since he has the sound of today's rockers!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #3 - May 13th, 2006 at 8:58pm

I think an offer from Fuel is a good start!  This show gives all of these contestants the road to get places that they wouldn't have easily been able to get to before!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #4 - May 25th, 2006 at 4:22am

Daughtry Running Out on Fuel
Former 'Idol' may pass on lead-singer gig
By TMZ.COM STAFF

Chris Daughtry

(May 24, 12:50PM ET) -- It's looking like Chris Daughtry isn't going to accept the rock band Fuel's offer to become their new lead singer.

The band offered Daughtry the gig 13 days ago after his surprise elimination from 'American Idol.' But TMZ has learned that Fuel isn't expecting a thumbs-up from Daughtry, and has started to look at other options.

But if Daughtry does decide to go solo, his options will be limited, thanks to the exclusivity clause signed by all the contestants from this season's 'Idol' and seen only by TMZ.

It basically paralyzes contestants from doing anything showbiz-related until three months after the show's grand finale. The contract prohibits contestants from entering into "...any talent management agreement, talent agency agreement, recording contract, songwriting contract, acting contract, modeling contract, sponsorship contract, or any merchandising contract ...until three months following the date of the first broadcast of the final episode announcing the winner of the competition."

The exclusivity clause goes on to say that if a contestant signs a deal in violation of the contract, 'Idol' producers "shall be entitled to injunctive and other equitable relief." Translation: a judge could quash the deal.

There is one ray of hope in the deal: According to the contract, rejected contestants can ask 'Idol' producers for "prior written consent" if a lucrative deals surfaces.

So, maybe in 3 months he will still have the deal!  He can still be active without "Signing" anything!  Don't know if that's a good idea, but you never know!  I'm sure Idol wouldn't want bad publicity for stopping someone's career!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2006 at 6:33am

tonight might be a first for me.
Live are supposed to be on american idol
do i dare watch? Cool

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2006 at 7:49am

And Live sang with Chris!  How perfect! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #7 - May 25th, 2006 at 8:15am

solodka, my husband and i are trying to figure out how/why Live got hooked up with american idol.  had that chris guy ever mentioned being a fan of theirs?
also, did the host announce the name of the band and say anything about the new cd?

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #8 - May 25th, 2006 at 9:13am

They did announce Live, but didn't say anything else about them.  Yes, Chris did mention them during one of the previous shows.  As did other American Idol contestants about their idols.  Pretty amazing people onstage.  Including the Purple Man himself, Prince!  That was a shocker!  And Taylor winning was no shock at all, as he had the power of the Soul Patrol behind him!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #9 - May 26th, 2006 at 7:10am

American Idol: What You Didn't See

Celebrities populated the stage during Wednesday's finale episode – but there was plenty of star power in the audience as well. Some highlights:
• More than an hour before the start of the show, Bucky Covington's twin brother, Rocky, signs autographs and takes photos with fans – some of whom mistake him for Bucky – in front of the Kodak Theater.
• In the ladies' room, Camryn Manheim explains to a friend what it was like to walk through the throng of fans in the lobby: "They screamed at me so I screamed back!"
• Heather Locklear is in the audience with daughter Ava, 8. "Ava's a huge fan," a friend of Locklear's tells PEOPLE. "She was so excited all day." Apparently, Ava's a McPhee fan while her mom is rooting for Hicks.
• Primping in the ladies' room before showtime, Katharine McPhee's mom Peisha and sister Adriana gasp when Lisa Rinna walks in. The Dancing with the Stars runner-up tells them, "I'm a Katharine fan," and reassures Peisha: "Take it from someone who knows, sometimes losing is better than winning. Tonight is about just having fun and celebrating."
• Later, Rinna greets actress Lori Laughlin with hugs and kisses as young girls scramble for Rinna's autograph, ignoring her husband, Harry Hamlin, who's standing nearby with their kids.
• David Hasselhoff tells PEOPLE, "I'm voting for Katherine because she's from Sherman Oaks and that's where I live. Taylor's good too." He later tears up when Taylor Hicks is named the winner.
• BFFs Chris Daughtry and Ace Young share a long, warm hug during the commercial break after performing in the all-male medley.
• After Hicks performs a duet with Toni Braxton, the two walk offstage together hand in hand.
• Just before the results are announced, McPhee waves cheerfully to her fans while Hicks stands stiff. After Hicks is named the winner, McPhee's parents blow kisses to her while Hicks sings his final song.
• Reporting by CARRIE BORZILLO-VRENNA, ALEXIS CHIU, KIMBERLY LANSING, MONICA RIZZO and CYNTHIA WANGTuesday NightThe drama during Tuesday night's American Idol wasn't all onstage. Some behind-the-scenes highlights:
• Before the show, Katharine McPhee's family – who'd been driven to Los Angeles via limo from their home in Sherman Oaks – mill about outside the entrance to L.A.'s Kodak Theater, looking nervous and tense.
• Season One runner-up Justin Guarini has a hard time finding his seat before the cameras begin to roll.
• All 10 ousted finalists are in the audience, although Elliott Yamin and Chris Daughtry earn the most applause when they take their seats.
• Kellie Pickler and dad Clyde sit together, but don't talk much as Clyde looks around in awe, taking in the scene. Pickler's little brother goofs around with Bucky Covington, who is sitting behind him.
• Constantine Maroulis sits near Pickler, but even though they're rumored to be dating, they don't interact.
• At 4:56 p.m., Daughtry kisses his wife, Deanna. "It was very sweet and tender and loving," reports a witness.
• Moments before going live at 5 p.m., the judges take their seats. Paula Abdul inadvertently rolls her chair over her dress and trips, but recovers quickly. She dances around a bit off-air when she is introduced.
• When McPhee mentions the flowers she's gotten from fans, she isn't kidding: "Kat has received so many red roses that her dressing room is overflowing," a backstage source tells PEOPLE. "They're all from her fans from different states. It's out of control. I have never seen it like that in all five years that I've worked on the show."
• Not to be outdone, Taylor Hicks has his own coterie of dedicated fans in the crowd, including a group of people holding signs made from pictures of his head on a stick.
• Abdul breaks out her dance moves during Hicks's performance of "Living For the City," despite being laughed at by Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson. Later, Abdul has to get her makeup touched up after she is moved to tears by McPhee's performance of "Over the Rainbow."
• Backstage, representatives from Origins put together gift baskets for the judges and Ryan Seacrest. One manager tells a staffer to make sure to put the store's Peace of Mind lotion in Seacrest's basket, but adds, "I don't know what Simon wants. His person never got back to me, so just do whatever for him."
• During Daniel Powter's show-ending live performance, McPhee's mom, Peisha, admits she doesn't know who he is, so daughter Adriana turns around in her seat to explain.
• At the intimate, casual afterparty at the restaurant Vert, Hicks's father Brad and stepmother Linda share a bottle of Pellegrino water at the bar, at one point clinking their glasses together in a toast. They leave at 8 p.m., just as American Idol starts to play on the bar's TV set.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

PIRATE
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

SANTA FE SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA
Reply #10 - May 26th, 2006 at 10:57am

pirate admits, he watches it....i am not into it as much this year as i was before. i did figure that chris would be in the top 5 and he did that easy.......im not sure if tyler should have won but whos to say.

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.