Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *4/24/06 (Read 3459 times)
pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *4/24/06
Mar 22nd, 2006 at 11:07pm

Hey Brad!

I'd like to learn how to play the drums... Any suggestions? Smiley
Do you have some videos (of yourself) that you can send me, so that I can learn from you? Cheesy

Hey Pinkbubelz!

First of all, happy belated birthday! Did somebody get a new drum kit for her birthday? If not, then you should get one if you want to learn how to play drums. Then, you should clear your practice schedule with the neighbors. It probably wouldn't hurt to start out by taking a few lessons just so that someone could show you the basics and so that you can see if it's really for you. I didn't have that option when I started out playing drums, so I learned just from playing along to my favorite records, as often as possible, as a lot of musicians do. I think that's one of the best ways to learn an instrument anyway. Just put on the headphones, turn up the volume and play along every chance you get (oh, and wear earplugs!). I don't really have any videos of me playing that would be of any use to you in learning how to play drums, since they're mostly just live footage. I do know there are a couple of Tommy Lee videos floating around, but you probably wouldn't learn much about drumming from those either.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2006 at 12:13am by bookies_original »  

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/23
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 7:51pm

Hmmmm......earplugs and headphones!  Now that's a concept I need to apply at night! Wink

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/23/06  
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 8:38am

ok really weird things are starting to happen at this board like posts disappearing and things appearing that i didnt write.
i know there was a question from solodka earlier for brad so here is the question with the answer:

Brad,

I read that Beck's first job was working as a YMCA ID photographer. What
was your first job? from solodka

ANSWER:
Good question. I've never had another occupation. So I guess I have to say that my first job was as a drummer. I played my first paying drum gig in a rock and roll band at age 15, and 68 years later I'm still going strong. If anyone's interested, the Lima date was the 3,750th show of my career (Seriously, no joke here - that's the actual tally in my gig ledger).

Next

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 10:19am

LOL!!!
Brad, you are the youngest 83 year old I've ever met... Smiley Ha ha!!! Smiley

Actually, our friend's drum set is sitting in my  basement and waiting for you and Chloe to come and visit! Smiley

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 11:38am

OK Brad, ready for another one?  I read that the first record purchased by Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran was an album by Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.  What was your first record that you remember owning?

ANSWER:
O.k., I'm going to go way back now. I'd have to say the FIRST record I ever bought was either Pearl Jam or Poison. O.k., o.k., really I think it was "Hungry" by Paul Revere and the Raiders. And the LAST record I bought is a tie because they were bought at the same time: "Morningwood" by Morningwood and "The Look of Love: The Burt Bacharach Collection" 3-disc boxed set, both of which I highly recommend if you're into that kind of thing. In fact, I highly recommend "Hungry," as well, or most any Raiders record up to "Too Much Talk."

Next.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2006 at 6:34pm by bookies_original »  
solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/23/06  
Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 9:06pm

Wow!  3750 gigs!  Out of all of those, what was the most memorable?  What was the biggest crowd you've played to?

ANSWER:
It's really impossible to answer which one gig was the most memorable,because I've had so many memorable gigs for many different reasons. I've toured with the David Lee Roth version of Van Halen and Cheap Trick, both of which were amazing; I've played with the Ramones way back in '78, which was amazing. Playing with the Clash was also pretty amazing. I've played small club gigs, which are often the coolest shows to play. I've played to 15 people and thousands of people. It doesn't really matter on the crowd size (but the answer to your next question is below), it's all about the connecting with the audience, big or small.

I think the biggest crowd was probably a Summerfest show (in Milwaukee), when the Elvis Brothers were on tour with INXS. I believe there were 20,000 people in attendance. We played a great show, really got the crowd pumped for INXS, and then five minutes after we left the stage it rained like hell. So, INXS never actually played. People who saw that show still come up to me and talk about how huge and crazy the rainstorm was.

Next.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2006 at 6:40pm by bookies_original »  

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/25/06  
Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 9:11pm

Brad,
Are you familiar with the glass shell drum?  If so, I was wondering what you think of it.  If not, you can check it out at www.orlichpercussion.com

ANSWER:
No. I'm not familiar with these. I checked out the site and they're quite interesting looking. I don't really know what to say about them except that they're very unusual. I'm much more familiar with drums from the 1900s, but I can say now - if anyone ever asks me - yes, I have seen glass drums.

Next.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2006 at 7:32am by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/25/06  
Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 3:22am

Ha!  I was one of those people who talked to you (in Rockford) about how huge and crazy the Summerfest Rainstorm was when INXS got washed out!  You guys did play a great show, by the way--that was my only live-and-in-person exposure to the Elvis Brothers.  Was that around 1984? 1985?

When you say you played "with the Clash", I assume that means you opened for the Clash (and the Ramones), right?  You were never in the Clash's (or Ramones) band for any gigs, were you?  "Elvis Ramone" has a good ring to it.

Which leads me to my next question....besides the Romantics, have you joined any other established bands (besides your own bands--Elvis Brothers, Big Hello, Handcuffs, etc.) for any exciting gigs?

ANSWER:
I looked up the Summerfest INXS show in my gig annals and the date was:  July 6, 1986. Now that you mention it, I do remember talking to you about it in Rockford. And, yes, opened for the Clash, opened for the Ramones. And speaking of "Elvis Ramone," here is an interesting tidbit:
Clem Burke played drums with the Ramones for a short period of time in the 80s (before we became friends) and oddly enough, he went by the name "Elvis Ramone." I'm full of trivia! As far as other established acts: I
have toured with as a member of and/or played on the recordings of many other established bands who are not necessarily household names, but are/were making a living and doing a good job in the "underground" or "indie" world. Here are a few you may or may not have heard of: The Spanic Boys, Ike Reilly (I actually played on his major label debut a few years ago), Jay Bennett's (ex Wilco) debut after Wilco, Three Hour Tour, Johnny Reno (toured with him for six months and then he went on to play sax with Chris Isaak in the 90s). I also had my own band Screams, before Elvis Brothers, that was signed on Infinity/MCA (now Interscope). Our record was released in the summer of 1979 and that's what led to touring as support for Van Halen, etc. and our own tour in the U.K. before the imprint (sub-label) was dropped from the label. Man, I've been doing this a long time...

Next.

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2006 at 7:39am by bookies_original »  

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/27/06  
Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 1:43am

pinkbubelz wrote on Mar 22nd, 2006 at 11:07pm:
Hey Brad!

I'd like to learn how to play the drums... Any suggestions? Smiley
Do you have some videos (of yourself) that you can send me, so that I can learn from you? Cheesy

Hey Pinkbubelz!

First of all, happy belated birthday! Did somebody get a new drum kit for her birthday? If not, then you should get one if you want to learn how to play drums. Then, you should clear your practice schedule with the neighbors. It probably wouldn't hurt to start out by taking a few lessons just so that someone could show you the basics and so that you can see if it's really for you. I didn't have that option when I started out playing drums, so I learned just from playing along to my favorite records, as often as possible, as a lot of musicians do. I think that's one of the best ways to learn an instrument anyway. Just put on the headphones, turn up the volume and play along every chance you get (oh, and wear earplugs!). I don't really have any videos of me playing that would be of any use to you in learning how to play drums, since they're mostly just live footage. I do know there are a couple of Tommy Lee videos floating around, but you probably wouldn't learn much about drumming from those either.

Hey Brad!!!
I just found out that a local music store offers drum lessons, so I may take some in a month or so... Smiley  One of our friends has their drum set living in our basement and it's not doing much except collecting dust... Smiley   So... I'm thinking of taking lessons once I'm off for the summer-- that way, I can bang away at them all day, without having the neighbors yell at me. (The basement faces their bedroom window.) Smiley I'll let you know how I like them-- maybe I will have to take some style lessons from you down the road! Cheesy  

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/27
Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 11:39pm

Brad,

I heard a funny expression about you while in Phoenix and I was wondering if you ever heard it too!  Someone called you:

"The Jack Benny of Drummers!"  Very funny and accurate I think!...

ANSWER:
Wow, somebody must have had some inside information on that obscure
observation. But, no, I've never heard that before.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2006 at 6:42am by bookies_original »  
solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/27
Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 5:50am

That's Hilarious, but I still think he's the Braddest of all drummers!  Roll Eyes

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/27/06  
Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 6:46am

brad,
i love the use of peggy moffitt on the cover of model for a revolution as well as the tribute song.
whose idea was it?  yours or chloes?

how was the concept born?

ANSWER:
First of all, thanks to everyone who has commented on the disc. It is very much appreciated. And you all obviously have very good taste in music ; -). Here's how the concept was born: I bought a coffee table book at a yard sale, of all places, that was written and put together by Peggy Moffitt and her photographer husband William Claxton celebrating the work of 60s/70s fashion designer Rudi Gernriech. In addition to giving us an education about 60s design (which Chloe and I have always been fans of), the book was filled with stunning photos by William Claxton of Peggy Moffitt, who was Rudi's designing partner and main model. The book, which is out of print, is a piece of artwork in itself. It was also autographed by the two authors, which was pretty cool, too. Chloe and I realized that we had seen so many imitators of Peggy's unique look, that we just wanted to give credit where credit was due, and the song "Peggy Moffitt" was born. The title "Model for a Revolution" is a line that I wrote in the song "Peggy Moffitt." Chloe came up with the idea of calling the CD "Model for a Revolution," which also fit the concept of our CD and project, and it wasn't until a little later that we both thought a photo of Peggy would be great for our cover, since it relates to the title and because the book was an inspiration for the entire project. In fact, the video that we have posted on our website (from a different song on the disc) is a tip of the hat, with all of our wardrobe changes, etc.. There's also a shot or two of the Gernriech book in the video, along with some styles inspired by the book: Striped jackets, scarves, polka dots with stripes, bold black and white patterns, clashing colors, etc. Long story short: We have since become friends with Peggy Moffitt and William Claxton (because of the song) and they gave the entire project their blessing and, as an added bonus, gave us permission to use the image of Peggy on the cover (and also inside the booklet), which we are so grateful for.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2006 at 6:46am by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *4/19/06
Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 3:31am

Brad, I have some Chicago power pop band questions for you.  I see that your new Handcuffs guitarist Lennie Dietsch also plays with Ladies and Gentlemen...is that Skid Marks' new band?  Did Lennie also play in Box-O-Car (Skid's old band)?  Box-O-Car was an old favorite of mine--before they dissolved, I heard they picked up drummer Mike Zelenko from Material Issue.  Do you know anything about Box-O-Car, or what Zelenko or Ted Ansani from Material Issue are up to nowadays?  
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2006 at 12:08am by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *4/19/06
Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 12:09am

Quote:
Brad, I have some Chicago power pop band questions for you.  I see that your new Handcuffs guitarist Lennie Dietsch also plays with Ladies and Gentlemen...is that Skid Marks' new band?  Did Lennie also play in Box-O-Car (Skid's old band)?  Box-O-Car was an old favorite of mine--before they dissolved, I heard they picked up drummer Mike Zelenko from Material Issue.  Do you know anything about Box-O-Car, or what Zelenko or Ted Ansani from Material Issue are up to nowadays?  

Brad's answer:
"Contrary to popular belief, I'm not the power pop guru, but nevertheless I have some answers for you, Mr. Brew. Lennie plays bass with the Ladies and Gentlemen, which is Skid's band of probably three years or so, which he started right after Box-O-Car. Lennie did not play with Box-O-Car, but played bass with other bands in and out of town. Oddly enought, Lennie is actually a guitar player first, who just fell into the bass playing role (he happens to excel at both instruments). He also plays
keys with us and he is a great singer, too. We're very happy to have him on board. Mike Zelenko, who is a friend of mine, has been with the Ladies and Gentlemen from the beginning. Ted, I know, had been doing a solo project, but I haven't heard from him in quite a while. Hope to see you in Milwaukee and Manitowoc."

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 2:54am

Thanks for the info, Brad.  If you're not a power pop guru, you do at least seem to know all the players.

My wife and I are planning to see your June 2 Handcuffs show in Milwaukee as well as the June 17th Romantics show in Manitowoc.  We're looking forward to both!

IP Logged

Boris

"Let's Go To Work!"

Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *4/24
Reply #15 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 3:17pm

Speaking of The Handcuffs...
Where did The Handcuffs topic/thread go?

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #16 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 6:36pm

it looks as though we may have lost some of our threads in our latest "crash".  hopefully webmistress will be able to restore everything!

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #17 - May 1st, 2006 at 7:23am

ok brad, white sox or cubs?

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #18 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 3:00pm

Hey Brad,  Hope to see you and Chloe at the concert on the 10th. Has it really been a year since we last saw the Handcuffs? Smiley I've been listening to the new CD. Sounds great! and we hope to get to Chicago either late on the 9th or early in the day on the 10th.
Can't wait to celebrate Chloe's birthday again! Wink  Grey Goose...no wonder we get along so well! Wink

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #19 - Aug 31st, 2006 at 9:44pm

Brad, I'm not sure, but I think you are the one who is responsible for printing the set list.  Maybe you could answer this question.  I posed the same one to Wally!

Several people have offered their explanation of why the lines are dividing the songs in your set list.  Please tell me what the lines that divide certain songs actually designate?

And if you read one of Wally's answers, what do you like on your pizza? Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.