Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
bass tabs  **Mike Skill responds! (Read 1709 times)
Rob

Don't you put me on hold!

Re: bass tabs
Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 7:41am

Id love to ask Jimmy a few questions! Does he ever check the board or the website out?

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: bass tabs
Reply #16 - Mar 9th, 2006 at 7:46am

here is mike's response to the bass tabs question:

"I don't do guitar,or bass tabs, I can read them but haven't had a need to write them out, Its quicker for me to learn straight from the record, radio, t.v. or cd...... it's the best thing for training your ear,or tuning your ear, which I think is really important, get the cd/ record and the learn songs by replaying it over and over by picking out the notes, and chords... You learn so much more about the guitar and the way things are laid out on the neck....Plus you'll drive your parents and neighbors nuts.... you'll start picking up chords notes and keys just by ear instantly when you hear songs. you'll start hearing and seeing the shapes of the chords, solos even without your guitar... You start to get real quick at it the more you do it....You can also develop perfect and /or relative pitch this way. All of this is all really important if you want become a good songwriter ..... you want to be a great bass player? put on Sgt. Pepper and learn all of the bass licks, ( I sat in my basement one summer and did this a year or so after I started playing guitar and got into bass) its one of the best record for this, so melodic, another one is Are You Experienced? that's Jimi playing bass over dubs on alot of it....And feel what you play!.... You can't be lazy when it comes to learning to play, there is no quick way about it. You have to want it more than anything else.....Learn with a friend ! ......anyway Good Luck!"~ Mike Skill

IP Logged

Jeanine

I Love YaBB 2!

Jersey Shore
Re: bass tabs  **Mike Skill responds!
Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 10:34am

I couldn't agree with Mike more...with all due respect, if you can't sit down and pick up a bass line or guitar part by ear, you ain't much of a musician.  There's no challenge or growth potential in learning tableture.  I can see if you're compeletely  stumped and it's driving ya nutz.  Sorry to be so blunt but the best musicians pick up everything by ear.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #18 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 12:57am

Ear-training is definitely important. Combine that with a little music theory (i.e. knowing what kind of rhythms go with what type of music, some knowledge of chord structures, what a 12 bar blues is, etc.) will get you even further. Smiley If you can read music as well, you'll be able to broaden your music base (no pun intended) even more.  

Also, try listen to all kinds of music, rock, jazz, R & B, blues, swing, punk, country, classical, etc... the more you listen to, the more you will expand your knowledge of how music is put together--in the long run, it will make you a more creative and better musician.

There are many ways to learn... practice is definitely key! Wink

*** Note:
I play piano & violin, and was classically trained, but in general, the above things will get you far in whatever instrument you play--my piano teacher used to take me to the symphony when I was in Junior high--we'd bring an orchestral score and follow the music--It was an excellent way to train my ear and to get to know the "shapes" of music, as Mike said...

It really doesn't matter what instrument you play bass, guitar, harmonica, piano, etc., taking the time to actually listen and analyze the music you are playing really helps in the long run!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

wiffo
YaBB Newbies

its like so totally awesome

Reply #19 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 4:55am

i know its better to learn things that way, but i've only been playing bass for just over a month now, i played guitar before, but i wasnt big on it and hardly practiced even though i liked guitar,  then i picked up a bass and loved it, its like my instrument, i'm yet to be too good at all with pickin stuff up by ear like that, i've been working on it though here and there

IP Logged

RicBassGuy
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #20 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 2:42pm

That's great advice from Mike!  Smiley

You know, I heard Mike used to give bass lessons back when he was still in Michigan. Now how cool would that have been to be his student?  Smiley Private lessons are still a great way to get up to speed quickly on an instrument, btw.

Back in the day, we needed fast fingers. Not to play the bass, necessarily, but to operate the REWIND, STOP, and PLAY buttons on the cassette player!  Wink With a little practice, vinyl was easier; you could just drop the needle pretty close to where you wanted it. Nowadays you have things like the . These can slow down a CD without changing the pitch to make it easier to learn by ear. It's still a crutch -- or maybe I'm just too "old school" -- but always learning things this way won't help you when you're in a "live" situation with other musicians, playing in "real time". Still, it may help you get jump started.

Now, if you know a little music theory, like major scales and chords, that will make things easier. But first, as Mike says, you need to be able to hear the intervals between notes (relative pitch). Also, keep in mind that a lot of Romantics' songs were intentionally written as simple "3 chord" songs to keep them fun. And, as my darling wife pinkbubelz mentions, it helps to know common song forms; in this case, the 12-bar blues. Off the top of my head I don't think "I'm Hip" is exactly a 12-bar blues, but the main 4-bar riff Mike plays does go up a 4th, like a I to IV progression in a 12-bar blues. So, if you learn the riff, it's a pretty simple matter to transpose it (move it down a string, in this case, say from the A string to the D string).

The first three notes are reminiscent of a popular boogie woogie style bass line usually found in 12-bar blues. (There may be a grace note or hammer on in there, but if you don't play it the only people that will notice are you and Mike.) From a major scale, they would be the root 3rd and 5th. The next three notes are similar, but shifted down. Can you hear the interval?

The next 5 notes return to the original chord but sound a lot like the first 5 notes of Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" riff. This pattern is also found in gospel "church music" and Jimi Hendrix' bass line to "Hey Joe", among others. They all feature a mostly chromatic run. The last 3 notes of the phrase seem to be the reverse, or mirror image, of what was just played.

Hopefully that can get you started.

If you've never heard of some of these concepts before, don't worry. As Mike pointed out, all you really need is the ability to play by ear (unless perhaps you're in a symphony orchestra playing classical music). If you want to learn more about some of the things I mentioned, I'd suggest that you seek private lessons.

You may find tabs will be harder to find in the future. Legally, no one can publish the tabs to Mike's (or Rich's) bass lines without their (or their publisher's) permission. It's possible the music industry will start cracking down on tab (and lyrics) sites, just like they did to "file sharing" sites like Napster. What you may find instead is something like "iTabs", where maybe you have to pay $0.99 per each song tab. Just another reason to sharpen your ear training skills and ween yourself away from tabs.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #21 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 2:19am

That was very nice of you to help Wiffo out!  I hope all of this information gets to him and that he is able to figure it all out and take it with him on his long journey! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

wiffo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #22 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 8:49am

well, i'm sure i'll learn it, it'll just take a while

thanx everyone for your help

i apprieciate it

-wiffo-

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #23 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 9:56am

has anyone considered asking rich cole if he can do this?
it might be worth a chance to ask him.
oldfriend?

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #24 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 8:54pm

Here is a forum that I found that looks helpful!

http://www.talkbass.com/

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

KGRamone
YaBB Newbies

We want new Romantics
tunes!

Louisville, Ky.
Reply #25 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 2:34am

There are a lot of great bass tab sites on the internet -- I've downloaded lots of stuff since I started trying to play.

Interestingly, "I'm Hip" is one of the first songs I learned to play. It's really not too complicated -- a fairly simple three-chord structure -- but you have to have plenty of dexterity to pull it off!

If I get some time I may try to conjure up the tab and write it out ...

-Kevin

http://www.facebook.com/KGRamone  
IP Logged

wiffo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #26 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 4:20am

kool,  thanx, the one thing i am good with on bass is right hand speed (i am right handed)

i started off with playing mostly misfits songs, which are rather simple yet pretty fast, not motorhead fast, but fast

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #27 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 1:50am

Wiffo,
You're on Myspace, right?
My hubby's a bass player, he may drop you an email via my MySpace site. (He's RicBassGuy here)

--Iris

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

wiffo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #28 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 5:19am

yeah, i'm on myspace

wiffo[of course]
myspace.com/mrwiffo

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.