Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Do You Remember This Concert? *New Rare Photos!* (Read 1190 times)
solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Do You Remember This Concert? *New Rare Photos!*
Feb 27th, 2006 at 6:18am

This came up the other day and no one seems to recall the correct info on  the correct venue.  If anyone knows anything, please post it!

The exact venue name we don't know, but we think it was somewhere downtown near Woodward Avenue and may have been the Detroit Fairgrounds or something like that??  They do remember that it was an indoor venue and believe it was held sometime during the late fall or winter months of either 1979 or 1980.

The two facts that are known for sure, were that the Buzztones were on the multi artist bill and that The Romantics were playing tunes from the new record "National
Breakout," but it is believed to be prior to the record being officially released.  They remember, "Twenty-One and Over" being exceptional as well as "Stone Poney."
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2006 at 8:59pm by solodka »  
solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Andrew

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Does Anyone Remember This Concert?
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 6:31am

Majestic Theatre? Magic Stick? Magic Bag? I know those are current venue, but thought maybe those would ring a bell.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 6:39am

well, the fairgrounds is NOT near downtown detroit so it would have to be either or.
i was definately around at that time but a lot of the names of the venues escape my memory.
oldfriend?
you have great recollection of most past shows so if anyone could help out here, it would be you.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 8:21am

"21 and Over" and "Stone Pony" are both exceptional!  We would love to hear those songs brought back to life!

Manitowoc?    Wink Roll Eyes

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

Rob

Don't you put me on hold!

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 10:22pm

Unfortunantely they were both sung by Jimmy, and only his raspy vocals fit those songs.  It was awesome to see first in line brought back to the set though!

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 11:39pm

Although Jimmy did originally sing those 2 songs, Wally has done a fine job on taking over the vocals on plenty of other previously-sung-by-Jimmy songs.  If I remember correctly, didn't Jimmy sing What I Like About You?  Rock You Up?  Got Me Where You Want Me?  I think there are more, but you get the picture.  Jimmy had a cool voice, but Wally's a better singer.  I'm sure he could handle it.  Especially on songs like "21 and Over" and "Stone Pony" that aren't so well known to the general public.

I would love to hear those two songs again.

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 12:27am

If it was 79 or 80, chances are that the Romantics were still playing some of the clubs in the area and not large halls, so it could have been one of the clubs on Cass which is just a couple of blocks over from Woodward. Perhaps it was Alvin's or maybe the Old Miami. (Back then it was called The New Miami). There was another club on Woodward at the time that was in the general area of the Majestic but it was on the other side of the street. The thing I remember about that place (can't remember the name) is that the band set up with their backs to the huge plate glass window that faced the street, so you could see the back of the band as you passed by. It held a few hundred people. If you went further downtown, there was the old Clutch Cargos as well.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 7:50am

what about the crest lounge?
the city club?
the bowery?
lili's?

IP Logged

Autumn Song(Guest)

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 4:44am

The Michigan Mart building at the State Fairgrounds....you have the time frame right on...it was an all Detroit band bill if I remember correctly....Toby Redd...was another band who you might remember being there that night......The show was put on by the at that time legendary W-4 (radio station) the one time Detroit home of Ho-weird  Stern .......I remember talking to Doug Podell that night during the show....He was a W-4 on air personality then.......He is now with Wrif in Detroit in the same capacity .......you could contact him ,he might have a better recollection of that show than myself after all this time

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 12:28am

Wow.  W-4 has not even been on the air for YEARS!!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 5:55am

Here's some more oldies but goodies that I came across!

http://launch.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheRomanticsFans/photos/browse/adae?c=

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Re: Do You Remember This Concert? *New Rare Photos
Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 4:44am

I know there is a good caption for this photo!  Maybe we should have a contest!!!!!!!

http://launch.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheRomanticsFans/photos/browse/adae?c=

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 7:34am

do you mean the photo on the left?

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 10:24am

Yes dear, the one on the left of course! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 9:47pm

Last Sunday we were all at Rich's mom's house for her 80th birthday. Rich was digging through a drawer in what used to be his room years ago. He found a ton of old Romantics pictures including this great set of pictures from 78 in Toronto. A lot of the pictures are just of the guys hanging around in the hotel. A couple of open whiskey bottles can be seen and one of the guys is sitting at a table pouring some and looking kind of buzzed. Some of the other pictures are of the guys just walking around downtown Toronto. There were a ton of envelopes full of pictures that we didn't check so the next time Rich is there, he said he would see what else he could dig up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.