50 and Fabulous! (Read 1403 times)
solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
50 and Fabulous!
Feb 24th, 2006 at 12:07am

Here's one for Bookies!

50 Ain't What it Used to Be - Just Look at the Sexy Celebs Hitting 5-0 This Year
By Stacy Jenel Smith

Geena Davis was one of Time magazine's Important People of 2005 for her portrayal of the first woman President of the United States in "Commander in Chief." The MENSA member and feminist - she of the see-through op art Academy Awards dress (yes, it was op art?you mean you didn't notice the print?) - took up archery at the impossibly advanced age of 41 and became a world class competitor in the sport. She won the California Cup and nearly made the U.S. Olympic team.
She gave birth to a daughter at age 46, to twin sons at 47.
Catherine Zeta-Jones and their babies have been better than a face lift for rejuvenating Michael Douglas, who is 25 years older than his wife. See who else looks renewed.
People can talk about that Oprah-borne idea that 40 is the new 30 and 50 is the new 40 and so on.
Statisticians and scientists can show us quite clearly that we humans are living longer, with all that implies.
But none of that is as good as thinking about Geena , truly a torch bearer for the New 50, because, with the way her life is going and the way she looks, her age is no more than an interesting footnote.
And listen, Time magazine: for those of us born in 1956, that's another reason Geena is Important.
There is actually a tremendous group - a smart, sexy, accomplished crowd of entertainment royalty -- hitting the big 5-0 this year. It includes Tom Hanks, Joan Allen, Judy Davis and Mel Gibson, the latter of whom declared five years ago: "I'll tell you what really turns my toes up - love scenes with 68-year-old men and young actresses. I promise you, when I get to that age, I'll say no."
We'll be watching in 18 years, Mel.
The 1956'ers include Sela Ward, who looks so smashing in her black dress with the corseted bodice at the 2005 Emmy Awards, a photo may be placed strategically near one's refrigerator door as a preventive for cheating on one's diet. Don't ask me how I know.
At 40, Sela auditioned to be a Bond girl. Rejected as too old, she moved right along and produced "The Changing Face of Beauty," a documentary on ageism, for Lifetime. Obviously, she had no intention of being bound by passť Tinseltown strictures. In 2002, More magazine noted that Ward's "mature appeal is helping tear down Hollywood's rigid precepts on aging. Two years ago, a poll ranking television's sexiest stars put the actress and her seductively arched eyebrows at the top of the list - and above such 20-somethings as Alyssa Milano and Sarah Michelle Gellar."
And then, of course, there is the woman who wrote the book - literally - on being sexy, who proved five years ago that a middle-aged woman could be a sex symbol and then some: Kim Cattrall. Once dubbed "America's Favorite Slut" for her unforgettable "Sex in the City" man-eating character, Samantha Jones, she's still looking great and hits 5-0 this summer.
We have stunning, Stockholm-born Lena Olin, sexy Bo Derek, Lisa Hartman Black, Dana Delany, and Jerry Hall, who played Mrs. Robinson onstage in "The Graduate" and went on to star in last year's VH1 "Kept" reality show.
The latter had the former Mrs. Mick Jagger oversee the transformation of a group of shaggy, unrefined American twentysomething hunks into chic Euro-style sophisticates. People in her social circle "really didn't know at first" what was going on when she'd show up places with a "gorgeous young man. They thought, 'Jerry's got a new boyfriend.' Women would follow me into the bathroom and say, 'You go, girl!' and men would be  irritated and say, "Is that your son?'" But turn-about, as far as younger romantic interests, is fair play, said Hall: "Mick's been doing it for years!" What did the old Rolling Stone think of her show? "He told me, 'I've been asked to do my own show, dating 16-year-olds.'" (Note to Mick: See Mel Gibson quote above.)

This year's Fabulous-at-Fifties also include Eric Roberts, Randy Jackson, dancing funny man John O'Hurley, incomparable entertainer Nathan Lane, and sigh-inducing Chris Isaak, Andy Garcia, Peter Gallagher, Tim Daly, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Gary Cole, Michael Biehn and Dwight Yoakam.

Social scientists have already declared that Baby Boomers are refusing to act their age, or what was previously considered to be appropriate behavior for 50-plusers. Entertainment notables who'll become eligible for AARP this year (at 50) will most likely reject the old "old" as well. The turning-50 group includes such powerful industry behind-the-scenes names as John Wells, David E. Kelley and Marta Kauffman. It also includes:

Carrie Fisher, Steve Harvey, Delta Burke, Ruben Santiago-Hudson, Jackee Harry, Mickey Rourke, Bob Saget, Joe Penny, Sinbad, Paula Zahn, Diane Warren, Judy Tenuta, Joe Penny, Paris Barclay, Bryan Cranston, Steven Bauer, Robby Benson, David Caruso, Bill Maher, T.K. Carter, Michael Feinstein, Keith David, LaToya Jackson, Rita Rudner, Sheryl Lee Ralph, Stepfanie Kramer, Rex Smith, Montel Williams, Richard Kind, David Copperfield and Mimi Rogers, a.k.a. the first Mrs. Tom Cruise, who is 22 years older than Katie Holmes, Mrs. Tom to-be.

And she's definitely still fabulous.

Interestingly, many sources report Geena Davis' birth year as 1957, but it isn't, and her reps - obviously on her instruction - readily say as much. Oscar Wilde once said, "Beware of a woman who gives her true age."

Some of us take that as a compliment.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: 50 and Fabulous!
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 6:09am

Did you see Jane Seymour in "Wedding Crashers"? She was smokin! How about Kim Basinger, Susan Sarandon, or Goldie Hawn? I wouldn't kick ANY of them out of the sack. Even Ann Margaret still looks damn good and she has to be 60 by now. She looked great in that Grumpy Old Men movie. My wife is 53 (hope she doesn't see this) and she looks way younger than 50. It's definitely not over at 50. Plus, you have to maintain the right attitude. It's not how old you are. It's how immature you stay.

IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 7:18am

Um...I didn't see Billy Idol listed.  The sexy rocker with the sneer and a killer six pack turned 50 in November.  Believe me, I've seen him from the front row many times, and he is still sexy!!  Smiley

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 7:33am

I even think that Sophia Loren, who is older than Ann Margaret looked fabulous!  I don't think that Goldie is looking that great lately though.  On that one I would have to disagree!  Sorry!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

PIRATE
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

SANTA FE SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 11:26am

bookies isnt even 50 yet Undecided

bookies you dont have to read this thread for 5 or 6 years......dont sweat it Cool

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 4:22pm

I think the term is:
Deny, Deny, Deny! Wink

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 5:16pm

51 this year pirate and proud of it!
if any of us had the money these celebs have for "extreme makeovers", we could all look just as fabulous as we glide into our golden years.
some of aforementioned names have had more "restoration" than a classic '57 chevy!
believe me, money CAN buy you just about anything!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 5:37am

I agree!  But I'm going scratchin' and clawin' all the way! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

PIRATE
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 8:19am

gosh bookies...you dont look 51 Wink

you look alot younger Wink Wink

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 11:14am

oldfriend wrote on Feb 24th, 2006 at 6:09am:
Did you see Jane Seymour in "Wedding Crashers"? She was smokin! How about Kim Basinger, Susan Sarandon, or Goldie Hawn? I wouldn't kick ANY of them out of the sack. Even Ann Margaret still looks damn good and she has to be 60 by now. She looked great in that Grumpy Old Men movie. My wife is 53 (hope she doesn't see this) and she looks way younger than 50. It's definitely not over at 50. Plus, you have to maintain the right attitude. It's not how old you are. It's how immature you stay.

I told someone 1 was 38 the other day and they told me they thought I was about 25. Smiley
It's good to have "young genes". Smiley

and I agree-- I think my "mental" age is about 15. Smiley
My goal is to still get carded at 50 Smiley

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 10:06pm

I still get carded fairly frequently at 44.

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

PIRATE
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 11:39pm

your funny iris......carded at 50 Cheesy

u also look younger yourself  Wink

u just may get carded at 50

whats for sure is you will be carded at 62  Roll Eyes........senior citizens discounts

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 6:51am

pirate, i can already get a "senior" discount at the local ice skating rink!

IP Logged

PIRATE
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 8:05am

any discount is good.....are you thinking of taking up ice skating

are u sure thats a good idea Wink

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 9:53pm

bookies_original wrote on Feb 26th, 2006 at 6:51am:
pirate, i can already get a "senior" discount at the local ice skating rink!

Shoot, if you look at the age of Olympic Skaters, anyone over the age of 30 should get a "senior" discount!!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.