Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/22/06   (Read 2133 times)
bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
"Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/22/06  
Jan 9th, 2006 at 5:28pm

as promised, here is your chance to ask Brad!
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2006 at 6:44pm by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Re: "Drum and Drummer: Brad Answers Your Ques
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 7:58pm

Hi Brad!  Thanks for joining us!

When did you see your first Romantics show?  Did you ever see them perform in the '80's with Jimmy Marinos drumming?  If so, tell us about it!

Also, please describe how you got into the band...wasn't Clem Burke involved?

Brad:
"I don't normally like to name drop, but early on I was good friends with Cheap Trick (and still am to some extent).  Cheap Trick performed in Champaign, Illinois (where my band and I were based) in 1980 on the "Dream Police" tour. We were all just gathered back stage hanging out with friends and some of us decided to step out front to check out the opening act, who happened to be the Romantics. They were a new band that I didn't know much about, but I do remember that I liked what they were doing and remember their red leather suits. I'm glad I got to see them early on. When I was in the Elvis Brothers (hence the name Brad Elvis), we were on
Portrait/CBS/Sony, so we toured a lot, as well. We were on a similar circuit as the Romantics, so we crossed paths a few times. Elvis Brothers played a show with the Romantics on October 17, 1983 at Bogart's in Cincinnati, Ohio and again on May 30, 1984 in Danville, Illinois at the Civic Center. Fast forward to January 11, 2001 when my band Big Hello (which also featured The Handcuffs' vocalist Chloe) opened for the Romantics in Chicago at House of Blues. Chloe and I often reminisce about how much fun that show was and that it rocked. My friend Clem Burke was drumming with them at the time, and although Chloe and I had just had dinner with him in Los Angeles about a week prior to that, he didn't realize that we were booked as the opener for that show. It was cool to be on a bill with both of us drumming.

Here's how I got hooked up with the Romantics: Chloe and I had just started the Handcuffs and had some business out in L.A. in October of 2003, so I called Clem (we met some years ago in Chicago when he came to an  Elvis Brothers show and have been good friends and fans of each other's drumming ever since) to see if he was going to be around when we'd be in town. He was rehearsing with Blondie on the opposite coast, so we couldn't get together but we had a nice long phone chat anyway. I mentioned to him that I had read a glowing review of "61/49" in a local entertainment paper and that got the conversation started about the Romantics. Clem was going to be pretty busy with Blondie, and for the Romantics to do some proper touring in support of their new disc, they'd need a drummer. Clem suddenly suggested:
"You should do it, you'd be perfect." And I said: "Uh, er, um...well, I do sport black hair." Long story short, he called Wally with the recommendation and then Wally called me (while I was still in L.A. actually) to ask about my hair. I auditioned/rehearsed with the band in Detroit in December of 2003. Everything worked out, we all got along, and I played my first show with them on February 18, 2004 in Flint, Michigan. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. "

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2006 at 8:51am by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 2:03am

Hi Brad!!! Smiley

Love your new video! Smiley Great picture on the Romantics website-- hope your holidays were great! Smiley

Here's a question--
Where did you get your "target" Who T-shirt? Smiley (I hope I got that right.)

Brad:  "Thanks for checking out The Handcuffs video on our site and glad you enjoyed it. Did you happen to catch the scene where Chloe is wearing a Romantics t-shirt? Anyone?
Where did I get my target t-shirt? Why at Target (not really). I got it in London a couple of years ago around the Carnaby Street area, of course. I have seen them around the states, but don't have any specific info."

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2006 at 7:35am by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

rockford_boy
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 7:49am

I love the video too, Brad. Whished I could have helped you and Chole out, but Rockford is a trip, in many ways.

What will we see first the Official Handcuffs release or New Romantics?

Also, I pimped your writing abilities to Wally and Mike at the Rockford show, are you penning anything for the Romantics?

Thanks "Bosco's Dad"!

Brad:  "I cannot tell a lie, I think The Handcuffs release is going to be first, since we've already recorded it, named it ("Model for a Revolution") and are just putting the finishing touches on the artwork. We expect to release it in February. But, I know the Romantics are anxious to release a CD of new material. Thanks for the props about my writing ability - I'm actually penning all of their memoirs as we speak."

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2006 at 7:37am by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 7:38am

be sure to check out Brad's answers to your questions above!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 10:21pm

Hey Brad,
YES, I did notice the nod to the Romantics! Smiley Way to sneak in a plug! Wink

Can't wait to see you (and Chloe) again-- hope you'll be drumming somewhere nearby! Smiley

Here's a question... On average, how many drumsticks do you use per show? Smiley

Brad:  "Actually I use large sticks of buffalo jerky that I occasionally munch on during the show (you burn a lot of calories playing drums). O.k., seriously: I go through four or five sticks per Romantics show, but there are times when I have made it through a whole show on one pair. It's actually not that easy to break a good quality pair of drumsticks when you play them backwards, like I do (I really do, see last sentence). For you stick-o-philes, I use Pro Mark oak, wood tip, 5B sticks. But I play with the butt end of the stick - some may call it backwards."

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2006 at 8:26am by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Re: "Drum and Drummer: Brad Answers Your Questions
Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 1:23am

Hi Brad!
Hope you and Chloe are doing well!

Okay, here's our next question....
What's your favorite flavor of pizza?

And... have you had Pizzapapalis in Detroit? If you haven't, we'll all have to take you there the next time you're in Detroit!

ANSWER: Garlic, mushroom and sometimes pepperoni, but always with a side of giardiniera peppers. And, I don't think I've ever eaten at Pizzapapalis in Detroit, but the invitation is accepted!
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2006 at 5:39pm by bookies_original »  

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

RicBassGuy
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: "Drum and Drummer: Brad Answers Your Questions
Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 1:30am

Brad, I don't remember ever seeing you wield the megaphone. Is that out of personal preference, or is it because Chloe won't share?  Wink Can you think of a use for a megaphone for The Romantics? Smiley

ANSWER: I don't let Chloe play drums and she doesn't let me sing with the megaphone - not in public anyway. Sure, I can think of a use for the megaphone for the Romantics: to get everybody rounded up for the gig.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2006 at 6:39pm by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/14
Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2006 at 7:26am

Oh no!  I just had a sudden thought!  I know, you are laughing already!  Anyway, Brad, with the upcoming release of the new Handcuffs album, will you be touring?  But most of all, is that going to interfere in any way with touring with The Romantics?  I hope not!  Anxiously awaiting your reply!  And also, how was it seeing your "face" all over Chile?!

ANSWER:
Well, touring involves long stretches of many gigs in a row in a stinky tour bus or van with cranky road guys, so we've decided to tour on bicycles . But seriously folks (thank you, I'll be here all week): I plan on only doing select dates, here and there, 'cuz I've been working on this project for a long time - even before the Romantics brought me on board - and, I like playing the songs (most of which I wrote) on recordings and live. Will it interfere with the Romantics gigs? I hope not and visa versa. How was it to see my face plastered all over Santiago? Now, are you talking about my mug shot at the post office or my first Romantics poster? I've seen my face plastered (and I've been plastered) all over in other cities in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, England and Japan when touring with my other bands in the past, so it was nice to add South America to the list. Olé! By the way, both South America shows were really excellent - some of the best I have ever played with the Romantics. If it wasn't for the raccoon family I found in my hotel room, it would have been perfect.

Next.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2006 at 6:41pm by bookies_original »  
solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/22/06  
Reply #9 - May 5th, 2006 at 12:55am

Bookies or Solodka, Can you please remove the "spam" posting above? Thanks!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: "Drum and Drummer": Brad's Answers  *3/22/06  
Reply #10 - May 5th, 2006 at 12:59am

done!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.