Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Romantics: Children of Nuggets? (Read 748 times)
Brill Baby
Ex Member

The Romantics: Children of Nuggets?
Nov 29th, 2005 at 10:09am

My nephew recently gave me an incredible new box set from Rhino (who else?) called Children of Nuggets.  The music it covers spans 1976-1996 and includes artists like the db's, Hoodoo Gurus, Chesterfield Kings, the Smithereens, the Flamin' Groovies and the Posies....to name but a few.  Naturally, the one thing each of them has in common is an obvious reverence for the more garage-flavored and psychedelic music of the 60's; music that was featured on the original Nuggets compilation.

By the time I got to the third disc of four, I couldn't help but wonder how the Romantics could have been left off this collection.  Not only are they bigger (and better) than most of the artists who did make it on, but they seem to embody everything the compilation stands for.  It's practically screaming for an "I Can't Tell You Anything" or a "First In Line" or a "Gimme One More Chance".

If anybody can shed light on what's behind this glaring omission, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Was it the band's decision?  A licensing issue? Label conflict?  Did the powers-that-be at Rhino just completely drop the ball?  One of the reasons I have to ask is because I know for a fact that the Romantics were featured on the earlier Rhino series: D.I.Y. and Poptopia!

In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy the vast majority of tracks found in the box set (I highly recommend it!).  But that won't stop me from wondering how the Romantics could have possibly been left off a 100-song anthology of sixties-inspired rock that even devotes an entire page to promoting Little Steven's Underground Garage.  Just seems wrong somehow.

Maybe this should be a question for Wally...

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: The Romantics: Children of Nuggets?
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 6:02pm

excellent comment!
Wally?

IP Logged

wallypalmar
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: The Romantics: Children of Nuggets?
Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 10:10am

As far as I can remember, we were never contacted about being on the album.  If you want the answer to that question I think it should be directed to the people from Rhino and maybe they can shed some light on that and give us a reason.  Then we will all know.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.