Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Concerts you have been to this year (Read 15113 times)
Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Concerts you have been to this year
May 24th, 2005 at 12:49pm

Thought I would start this topic again.  What concerts have you been to this year?

Myself, I saw Duran Duran back in March.  It was great to see the original lineup.  The concert was awesome.  The only thing that could have made it better for me was to have had the chance to meet them.   8)

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Re: Concerts you have been to this year
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2005 at 10:52pm

U2 twice! Simply awesome.

IP Logged

El Romantico

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2005 at 4:20am

Los Lobos and their all acoustic show.  It was fantastico!  Muy bien hecho!

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2005 at 11:31pm

There sure have been a lot of "guests" posting since the crash!   8)

IP Logged

Another of those "Guests"

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2005 at 2:48am

Perhaps, Bookies.  However, I'm not clear on your point in bringing it up. 

Just a statement of fact, or is this perceived as a problem?

Did you not think the mention of Los Lobos was legitimate or serious?

A guest

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #5 - May 27th, 2005 at 11:12pm

well what I meant was that it seems like a coincidence that all of a sudden we get so many guests posting without wanting to become a member.  no big deal.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #6 - May 28th, 2005 at 9:55am

oh and btw, all of a sudden we get a slew of new members!!
wow!
nobody is fooling anybody.
we will soon move to an invitation only board!!
can't wait.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2005 at 8:27pm

Last night I saw HotHotHeat.  They were hot hot.  They gave me hot hot feet.  A good, spunky new-waveish young band from the Vancouver area with lotsa catchy tunes.  You may have heard their hit from last year "Bandages".  Check 'em out.

IP Logged

lmk_new
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 9:23am

I would have liked to have seen Hot Hot Heat, too.  Smiley

I've seen Billy Idol twice so far this year, in Tucson and Cleveland.  Billy and the band rock hard and look great.  Front row in Cleveland, I got an autograph from Billy (while he was singing), an autographed drum stick from Brian Tichy, and a Steve Stevens guitar pick.  Not bad!   8)

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 11:29pm

Nice, LMK!!

I hope the guys will be playing somewhere soon where we can road trip again! Wink

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 4:40am

I caught the Knack this weekend at Racine Harborfest.  They rocked!  They have a new drummer (a fine one, at that), but the other 3 are originals, and they sounded better than ever!  Well, I had never seen them live before, but they were really tight.  Highlights included "Baby Talks Dirty", "Good Girls Don't", "Siamese Twins (The Monkey & Me)", and at the end, "She's so Selfish", "Frustrated", and "My Sharona" to top it off.  They had this odd medley of "Tequila" with the Doors "Break on Through"....it was kinda cool, but it dragged on and on for about 20 minutes.  Other than that spinout, it was an outstanding show.

And we were so close, I scored a thumb pick from Prescott, the bass player.

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 4:07am

Last night I went to the Grand Opening of the Seminole Hard Rock Live in Hollywood, FL.  Pretty great  theater to see concerts in.  Seats 5500 people and really not a bad seat in the house!  I saw the Outlaws, who I personally don't remember, REO Speedwagon, I was pleasantly surprised!  And Styx, who really rocked.  They said that they were releasing a new album.  They actually sang I am the Walrus, by the Beatles,  Again, I was pleasantly surprised.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 4:32am

solodka, The new STYX cd is all covers - it came out a few months back and it rocks! Did they play I Don't Need No Doctor(they played it here a few days ago)... and man do they rock on that song - its worth buying the CD just for that!

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 5:00am

Yes, they did an encore that included I Don't Need No Doctor!  I was very surprised that they did not do a few other songs, one was Mister Roboto.  I guess due to the relationship of some of the ex-band members that is why they didn't sing certain songs.  This was their last concert before going home after a few months of being on the road.  They did play for about an hour and 20 minutes!  The whole concert was from 7:30 until 11:30.  But overall, I think that they pretty much had the same sound!  Of course Tommy Shaw was great.  They had another guitar player from another band that escapes me now.  Andrew, do you remember what his name was and what bands he played with?

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 5:03am

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but in my humble opinion, bands like Styx are what's wrong with rock and roll. You can put Boston, Journey, REO Speedwagon, and Heart on that same list just to name a few more. The stuff I heard off of that Styx covers album was horrid, laughable really. It's worse than that Rush cover album. Steve Marriot's original vocals on Humble Pie's version of "I Don't Need No Doctor" can't be touched. Just my opinion.

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 5:23am

Well, I haven't heard the album, just the concert. I do have to agree with you oldfriend,  that the originals are great and can never be touched, but if you would have heard them last night and felt the energy there I am sure you would have felt the same way I did.  Mind you, I went into the concert being a skeptic and ended up really enjoying it.  I have seen many bands in my day and really appreciate the hard work that goes into touring and actually, the hard work that went into building the arena.  The acoustics in there would do anyone justice.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 8:33am

oldfriend, well I respect your opinion, but to me STYX is what is right about rock. Maybe you never liked them or whatever, hey thats cool, but having only known of STYX since 3 or so years ago.. they really impress me. I saw them on Saturday and it was what a rock concert was suppose to be - huge stacks of amps, fancy lights, loud guitars, they didn't take themselfs too serious, and you could really tell they love what they do. From piano, guitar, drums solos to joking with the crowd it was perfect to well me.  The crowd was eating up the covers too. So Larry Gowan's vocals didn't match perfectly up with the orginal "I Don't Need..." recording but hey he was having fun, it sounded cool, I had fun - maybe I just like bands if I can have fun rather than how perfect they can be.

solodka, the guitar player, JY, has only played with STYX. They did Mr. Roboto in the medley of songs on Saturday(they play it in full now and then but say it kinda ruins the flow of the show).  Wouldn't you agree STYX puts on one fun show? I loved the Humble Pie version of the song, but man on Saturday Larry(the keyboard player/vocal guy on that song) was jumping all over the place on that song.  Did STYX/REO  jam together?
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2005 at 11:47am by Andrew »  

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 9:15am

Andrew, No, REO and Styx didn't jam together. That would have been quite an interesting sound there.  But it was the bass players name that I was searching for.  It was Ricky Phillips.  He played with the Baby's and Bad English.  At least that was how Tommy Shaw announced him.  I did look it up and I am correct.  Anyway, Tommy Shaw still reminds me of David Spade!  I found this on a website that you might want to read:
http://toddsucherman.com/deartodd18.htm

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 9:29am

As someone who didn't really even listen to rock & roll (my parents only listened to classical music and a tiny bit of Doris Day) until I was in 8th or 9th grade, Led Zeppelin, Styx and REO Speedwagon were some of the bands that got me into listening to rock music in the first place... I haven't ever seen them perform live, though, so I think it would have been fun to have seen them in concert... Smiley  (Hey, maybe it's a "chick" thing, but I like their music!--then again, I also like some AC/DC, so there's no accounting for rhyme or reason... LOL)

By the way, I do think that cover tunes are a good way for people to get introduced to other bands....

In fact, the first time I ever heard "What I like About You" was when a band in my high school covered the song... (Their guitar player took lessons from Mike Skill at the time).   If it hadn't been for that band, I might have never gotten into the Romantics in the first place... Smiley

I tend to agree with Andrew-- I go to see a band because I like being entertained--whether they play their own songs or are doing covers of others, as long as they sound good (to me) and are truly enjoying themselves, the audience tends to get that vibe from the band, that's what's most important to me... Smiley

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 11:54am

solodka, That link was a nice read. Check out this link, its a really good interview with JY of STYX - the interview is kinda long but VERY good: http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/Interviews05/jyyounginterview.htm

I asked you about STYX/REO jamming because on this live DVD of both plans at the end they come out and did some jamming together which looked really cool. They are doing some big arena tour together this fall with some other to be announced classic rock band.  Its funny you say that about Tommy reminding you of David Spade, for some reason I always thought that too!

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 1:32pm

Wow!  That was a great interview.  I actually grew up in a home that was very much influenced by the blues.  When you think about, that's where it really did indeed all begin!  That was a very interesting and prolific article.  Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #21 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 2:11pm

Quote:
(my parents only listened to classical music and a tiny bit of Doris Day)

Hey! I always liked Doris Day and the Time.
(oops... nevermind)

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 7:41pm

I think Boris just gave someone "The Bird"!    Tongue

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #23 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 10:53pm

While all of these horrible over-produced bands like Styx and Boston  who couldn't write a decent song to save their lives were polluting the air waves with their pretentious drivel, bands like the Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Elvis Costello , and Blondie were putting out albums and playing REAL rock and roll but could not get any airplay. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 11:34pm

And of course, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.  So, I guess that means you won't be buying the new Spice Girls CD?  LOL! Grin

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #25 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 11:42pm

Nothing against you oldfriend, I just don't think we'd ever agree on this issue.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2005 at 3:28am by Andrew »  

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #26 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 11:54pm

With hopes that I won't be torn to shreads because of my taste in music(I got the wierdest taste in music... espically for being 17), here is concerts I've been to recently:

- A festival with Randy Bachman(who rocked!), STYX(they rock, and they know how to put on a rock show), ? and the Mysterians(everyone was booing them... I mean when you look so bored you are about to sleep you should just get off the stage!), and there were a few other local bands.

- Sammy Hagar: so awesome! His stage setup was like a big beach bar. He had bleachers of people on the stage. Mike Anthony came out and played some Van Halen songs with him.

- Good Charlotte/Relient K: I went mainly because I got front row tickets and because I dig Relient K. Both bands put on a really good show.

-Santana/Los Lonely Boys: After hearing the 'Heaven' song I was turned off by the Lonely Boys, but man the rest of their cd just rocks, and they put on a great show! Santana really impressed me - it was my 3rd time seeing him.

- New Found Glory/Eisley: It was nice to see New Found Glory in a small club on their back to basics tour. Sure they may just play power chords, but it was a fun show!

Coming up: Warped Tour, Sammy Hagar, ZZ Top, Clint Black, Hootie and the Blowfish,  Bon Jovi,  STYX/REO, The White Stripes.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #27 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 12:48am

music, as in all art forms, is really open for interpretation and is pretty much subjective.
just because we do not enjoy a particular type of music, we can certainly respect people as artists onto themselves.
like billy corgan, i went to his show last week not having ever been a smashing pumpkins or zwan fan but i came away with a new respect for the man and his talent.
i do not believe there is any definative answer as to who is a "great" band or who is "polluting" the airwaves because it is all a matter of preference.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 2:15am

Definitely.... each person has his or her own list of personal musical choices....

I like a lot of music and enjoy listening to a variety... (from Classical to blues to jazz to rock to pop to country to hip hop to dance to opera, etc....)  much of what we listen to is inevitably influenced by our family and friends... Smiley  Where we come from, where we are going....

But....after all that, I still can't stand Blondie even though Clem is their drummer....but hey, that's what makes things in life interesting!!!

On the classical side of things-- I've always hated playing Bach on the piano... The only exception is that I enjoy the Brandenburg Concerti (written for orchestras with string or wind soloists)... Something about the meticulously written strict time format  of many of his pieces bores me to tears... Wink )  Give me Beethoven or Mozart any day over Bach!

Like I said... I grew up with Classical piano roots... Smiley  It wasn't until I started Swing Dancing with my hubby that I learned the jazz rhythms. (and we still can't boogie very well to Latin Rhythms!)...

But, if you ask me about the history of rock & roll, I'm at a loss... That's one of the reasons why I find this message board so interesting--I've learned so much about the different bands that are out there--and my musical collection keeps growing! Smiley

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't listen to music in all its different forms--it makes life so interesting!

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #29 - Jul 17th, 2005 at 9:38pm

my son went to cleveland to see the knack and the raspberries friday.
he said they both sounded great.
raspberries headlined and he said eric carmen was at his best and could "almost" hit all of the high notes!
wished i was able to catch that show.
oh well, i have neil diamond coming up august 5!
Wink

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #30 - Jul 17th, 2005 at 10:06pm

Can't wait for Warped Tour. Besides the fact that both of my son's bands are playing, there are lots of other bands that I am anxious to see as well, especially Mae.

IP Logged

One In A Million
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #31 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 2:24pm

I agree Andrew, Sammy is always a good time!

I won't list all mine but seeing Robert Plant in Rochester a couple weeks ago is going to be at the top of any list of mine for a long time.  He's my favorite voice in music period.
Strange Sensation is a fantastic band for him.  I've always liked his solo stuff, some more than others but Mighty Rearranger is some of his best stuff.  I think it goes back to his Bluesy Led Zeppelin days.  Lots of Zeppelin thrown in to the set this time around too.

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 5:43am

Ah, yes!  Robert Plant has just been announced to play at the  Hard Rock Live in Hollywood, FL.  I will be sure to catch him!

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 23rd, 2005 at 11:15pm

I saw John Fogerty/John Mellencamp last night.  John Fogerty was AWESOME!  I can't say enough good things about his show.  I hated it for John Mellencamp that he had to follow such an awesome set.  There was no way for him to compare to that.  Fogerty did some solo stuff and did most of CCR's biggest hits, although a couple of my favs were missing. He started with Travelin' Band and ended with Fortunate Son, with an awesome sounding Midnight Special in between.  He was so laid back and seemed to have such a good time.  I have always been a fan of John Mellencamp's music, but I was somewhat disappointed with his live show.    I would have to say the highlights of his show were when John Fogerty came out and did Green River and Rain on the Scarecrow with him.  Mellencamp also did Ain't Even Done With the Night, which he said he hadn't performed live since like 1980.  That is one of my favorite John Mellencamp songs.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #34 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 8:55pm

last night i went to see the gin blossoms & vertical horizon!
i had never seen the gin blossoms so i had no idea of what to expect.
they put on a fabulous show!!
the music on the other hand came off as sloppy and not together at all.  it seemed like the band was ending songs at different times and even once ending the song when the singer had no idea the band was stopping.
the singer is a wonderful showman but they need to work on tightening up the music.
vertical horizon on the other hand sounded good (for vertical horizon) but all their songs sounded the same.
all in all a very fun time for me though!  well worth being extremely tired today at work!
a very special thanks to ***** for hooking me up with great seats and more!   Wink

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #35 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 9:30am

ok so i took my 81 year old mother to see neil diamond the other night.  (i took her 3 years ago too)  anyhow, she is his hugest fan so of course i had to go all out and get second row center seats.
anyhow, i had a fabulous time!  i have never been a fan of his or any of his music but as a performer, this guy was 5 star!  his band was so tight and talented that it really made me appreciate the music of a different genre.  it was so much fun!  wait til he comes back, next time its front row seats for us!

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Aug 8th, 2005 at 3:20am

You should see Tom Jones!  I have seen him 3 times and each time he gets better and better.  Like a fine wine, getting better with age!  He is in great shape and his voice is still the same!  Amazing!  He is not my genre of music, but I enjoyed him just the same.  A really great performer.  He sweats a lot, but what the heck. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Aug 8th, 2005 at 11:59am

Hey I haven't gone yet, but I'm thinking of checking out the White Stripes at the Masonic Temple in Detroit when they come in town....

It turns out that one of my high school classmates plays drums for the warm-up band, Brendan Benson.

Here's the link to a photo of the band.  My classmate, Matt Aljian, is the 2nd on the left...

http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/benson_brendan/artist.jhtml

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #38 - Aug 13th, 2005 at 6:59pm

i went to see Live in Atlantic City last weekend.
they were incredible as always.
the crowd was a bit rowdy and obnoxious though and the venue was sooooo strict on taking pictures!
(house of blues)
Tongue

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #39 - Aug 14th, 2005 at 3:39am

We went to Freedom Hill on Thursday the 11th to see "1964 The Tribute". This is without a doubt the most accurate sound-alike Beatles tribute band around. What adds to the fun is the physical resemblance each guy has to the Beatle he is doing. We were in the 18th row, just far enough to not see their faces perfectly, and from that distance the resemblance is scary. Of course, the music is the thing, and their individual voices again sound remarkably like the individual Beatles that they are playing. They use the same instrumentation (Gretch, Rickenbacker, Hoffman guitars and Ludwig drums) and the harmonies are dead on. Their versions of "Nowhere Man", Paperback Writer" and especially "In My Life" gave me goosebumps. They perform only the material up to and including the Revolver album, which covers the years 63,64,65,and 66, which are the same years that the actual Beatles toured. Any Beatles fan would love this show, and the next time they come through your town, I strongly suggest that you check it out if you are a Beatles fan.

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #40 - Aug 14th, 2005 at 2:28pm

I forgot that there is an old thread in the restored posts and this one.  Perhaps we can get them combined or delete the restored posts thread on this as I posted in the old thread first forgetting about this one.  At any rate.....

Watched The Fixx.  Another great band that sounds just as good, if not better live.  We were front row center having the best seats in the house.  We were able to meet all five guys after the show, chat for a couple, and get our CD and 45 record signed.  They really liked the fact that we had a 45 record.  To add to this I got some good pictures and they have an outfit with them called DISCLIVE that records thier concerts live and sells the cd about 15 minutes after the show.  Of course I bought one.  I think it is a great idea for bands to do this.  You get something to remember the concert by whenever you want to hear it and the band doesn't have to worry about people bootlegging it.  Perhaps The Romantics could look into the cost/benefit of it.  Now just hoping The Romantics get out this way to top off a year of good concerts.   8)

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 1:36am

The Fixx was just in the Orlando Hard Rock Hotel.  There is something called the Velvet Sessions that happens on the last Thursday of every month.  That is where I had my first encounter with the Romantics!  Better late than never I say! Check out this link and look for the photos of the Romantics if you weren't there!
http://www.velvetsessions.com/vswelcome.html

IP Logged

canadianrocker
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #42 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 12:47pm

hmm concerts this year.....the canadian juno awards....green day and my chemical romance, the tragically hip, default, thornley, the trews, robert plant, and finally manitoba summerfest 2005 Grin

IP Logged

canadianrocker
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #43 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 12:57pm

summerfest band line up included - The Zombies, The Romantics, Lou Gramm of Foreigner, Roger Hodgson of Supertramp, Merqury....some queen tribute that put on problt the best damn closest to queen show ive ever seen, Helix, Warrant, Wild "t" ....he did an amazing jimi hendrix tribute, Twisted Sister, Cheap Trick, Harlequin...and lots more! IT was SUCH a GREAT TIME!

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 11:10am

Has anyone seen the tribute to Queen in Las Vegas?  I have been wanting to see it, but I haven't as of yet.  I heard it was fabulous!

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #45 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 1:03am

Oldfriend, I've seen 1964 The Tribute many times, and you are so right -- they are uncanny, almost eerie. Louisville just landed a Memorial Day Festival called Abbey Road on the River, which basically is three solid days of Beatles tunes. 1964 kicked off the weekend and were far and away the best at it.

On Friday I saw Kasey Chambers, an Australian alt-country (or maybe just country) singer-songwriter. Brilliant voice, brilliant writer, and she just came across as so genuine and sweet. She spent the first 10 years of her life growing up in the Austrailian outback with her parents and brother -- didn't see a TV or hear radio until after that. Her father used to sing country songs to the family at night in front of a campfire, so she honestly thought that was the only form of music that existed. Anyway, she's touring the U.S. and is worth checking out if you like that kind of thing. www.kaseychambers.com. And the opening act, the Greencards, was great too if you like modern bluegrass mixed with some rock, pop and country elements.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 11:38pm

I saw the BoDeans last night.  They played a free show from a rooftop of the historic Pabst Theatre in downtown Milwaukee.  They were celebrating this week's release of a double live cd recorded there last New Year's Eve.  The show was a lot of fun--I took my 6-year-old son (his first concert) and the street was blocked off for several thousand fans.  They sounded as good as ever.  Check 'em out at www.bodeans.com.

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #47 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 8:54am

Saw ABC last night in Seattle.  It was a great concert.  Martin Fry sounded great and David Palmer was playing drums as well.  We were front row center and were able to get Martin to sign a 45 record for us on stage during the concert.  It was a great night!   8)

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #48 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 7:03am

This same thread is in the "Restored Posts" section. Any way to combine them and leave them in one place?

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 10:48pm

Saw my sister's band "The Sharp Things" at the "Knitting Factory" in NYC... it was a great show! Wink  

Check it out sometime--their band has 3 violins, a cello, trombone, trumpet, drummer, keyboards, guitars and bass...  It was great to see my sister's band for the 1st time... Wink  Lots of fun... I guess it was described as "orchestra pop", (I don't know how I'd describe it, myself.)  A different sound from the Romantics, but great to hear, none-the-less!

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 5:17am

I think that this topic should really be in the "General" section.  Don't you think? Undecided

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #51 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 9:09pm

I moved it back into this section because it wouldnt let me put it in general.
anyhow, i will rename the old one so everyone can keep the two straight.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #52 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:32pm

I saw Weezer/Foo Fighters last weekend in Cleveland. Great show! Weezer is a lot more rockin' then they get credit for - I think every song has a guitar solo in it. Foo Fighters were loud and full of energy and had a great set. Dave Grohl even played drums on one song which was awesome to see him play drums.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #53 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 6:44pm

Andrew, you forgot to tell us why you have transplanted to Cleveland !
Will you be moving back to Metro Detroit?

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 3:23am

Has anyone ever seen Rob Thomas?  I happen to like him.  I think it is Oldfriend that doesn't, but I might want to catch him anyway!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 10:20pm

Solodka.
I think Rob Thomas is really sexy... Smiley  And love the music by Matchbox 20!  He seems very intense in his videos.

Although, I don't like his current haircut-- he was much cuter when his hair was longer.....

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 10:44pm

Side note:

Rob Thomas was born on Feb 14, 1972... Same as the B'day of the Romantics!

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 1:22am

Quote:
Solodka.
I think Rob Thomas is really sexy... Smiley  And love the music by Matchbox 20!  He seems very intense in his videos.

Although, I don't like his current haircut-- he was much cuter when his hair was longer.....

I actually LIKE his hair shorter!  He would be hot bald too though!  But then again, I also happen to like Phil Collins!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 11:32pm

LOL-- then again, my hubby's hair is much longer... Smiley (at the moment he needs a haircut.)

I prefer hair to no hair (and our Romantics definitely have a lot of hair. Smiley )

One of my hubby's buddies used to have a big mop of hair--he now wears a hat 24/7 because he's sporting the "baloney ring phenomenon"... LOL

Quote:
 I actually LIKE his hair shorter!  He would be hot bald too though!  But then again, I also happen to like Phil Collins!

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 2:36am

I prefer hair to no hair (and our Romantics definitely have a lot of hair. :-) )

I would have to agree with you on that one!  Lots of hair to go around and share!

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 4:39am

Andrew, did Hot Hot Heat open for Weezer & the Foo Fighters?  I heard that they were touring together.  Hot Hot Heat is one of my favorites...if you saw them, what did you think?  I saw Weezer with the Pixies this summer at Summerfest in Milwaukee and they were AWESOME! 

For the record, I do not like Rob Thomas.  He sucks.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #61 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:23am

I'm here in Cleveland for college... but already planning on coming back to Detroit to see Bon Jovi with my girlfriend(I've been coming back to Detroit 2/3 times a month).

Hot Hot Heat was not the opening act... too bad, I really enjoy them. The Kasier Cheifs opened(it was their last day of the tour, with HHH jumping on the next day).

While not me... but my dad caught Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush last night at the Magic Stick(in the Detroit area) and was blown away. It was his first time seeing them and his first time at the club and loved both. He said Frank came on at 8:30 and was still playing at 11:45 when he left(going to the concert was a last minute idea so he didn't take any extra naps).

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:57pm

Awww.... our little Andrew is all grown up! Smiley
Soon he will be quaffing away brews with the rest of us... LOL Smiley

Hope you are enjoying college life-- it will seem to be over far too quickly!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 10:06pm

That's the beauty of music--each person enjoys something different from the next person...Not everyone is going to agree with everyone else...

There's no accounting for taste either--there are some bands I like, despite myself (such as AC/DC)  Not because they are terrific musicians (they aren't), but more because of a mood their music projects (in my mind.)

An artist that I would love to see again is "Laurie Anderson". Her performance pieces are quite interesting-- it's more of a fusion of music, art and theatre....
http://www.laurieanderson.com/

Smiley

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 5:10pm

Quote:
That's the beauty of music--each person enjoys something different from the next person...Not everyone is going to agree with everyone else...

There's no accounting for taste either--there are some bands I like, despite myself (such as AC/DC)  Not because they are terrific musicians (they aren't), but more because of a mood their music projects (in my mind.)

An artist that I would love to see again is "Laurie Anderson". Her performance pieces are quite interesting-- it's more of a fusion of music, art and theatre....
http://www.laurieanderson.com/

Smiley

Or music can represent a different time, place,  and make you remember memories that take you back to your past.  
Bon Jovi at the Hollywood Sportatourium has and does that for me along with Genesis!  Brings me back to being 18 again!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 4:08am

The Romantics bring me back to my high school days... and college days as well... Smiley

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #66 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 10:08am

heres a thread i cant post at because ive have not been to one concert this year....gosh do i have alot of catching up to do with concerts.....lovem.....yes iris i think the romantics drifts back to all of our high school days.

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 1:27am

I do have to mention that I have been introduced to a new band.  Well, not new, but new to me!  The New York Dolls!  Very "interesting" rock band!  I saw them at the House of Blues in Orlando.  I did have to go home and change out of my Catholic school girl uniform before I went to see them.  Oh, did I forget to mention it was another one of my Halloween costumes!  Imagine that one! Grin

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #68 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 4:42am

pirate, maybe we can meet up again this year at the viper room for a romantics show!!

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 11:45pm

Bookies, do you know something?  Don't hold out on us!  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 7:12am

Well, I'm going to go see a local group called "Tone & Niche" tonight at the Cadieux Cafe on the west side of the Detroit area....

They have a kind of folk/rock/jazz-styled music-- uses guitar and violin.  My hubby, Eric, will be trying out to be their bassist... we'll see what happens...  Smiley

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #71 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 8:14am

I saw MxPx/Relient K/Rufio/Over It was weekend here  at the House of Blues. All bands were great. It was Relient K's homecoming concert so alot of family were there(including family members mentioned in songs...!). MxPx was full of energy and proved why they are still strong and why bands such as Blink-182 were influenced by them.

I also saw Simple Plan/Straylight Run/Paramore/Plain White Tees at the HOB last night. All the opening acts were really good. I got to meet the Simple Plan guys backstage. These guys were some of the nicest down to earth people ever. I talked guitars with the guitar player - he was more intrested in my guitar rig! The rest of the band was very cool and nicknamed me the guitar man. During their show the guitar player went into a solo then pointed at me and threw me his pick. Their performance... was great. They were there to have fun period. They jumped, ran, sang, and danced like there was no tomorrow. Their drummer even jumped into the crowd to mingle with fans during the one part of the show. Yeah yeah yeah they are pop-punk but the guys were so down to earth and having so much fun on stage it really brought the music alive. For having such a G-rated rep, they certainly acted all R-rated like any old punk band would. So yep I recommend that if Simple Plan is in town and you are looking for a good time check them out.

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:28pm

Quote:
Well, I'm going to go see a local group called "Tone & Niche" tonight at the Cadieux Cafe on the west side of the Detroit area....

They have a kind of folk/rock/jazz-styled music-- uses guitar and violin.  My hubby, Eric, will be trying out to be their bassist... we'll see what happens...  Smiley

How are the muscles?

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:29pm

Quote:

They have a kind of folk/rock/jazz-styled music-- uses guitar and violin.  My hubby, Eric, will be trying out to be their bassist... we'll see what happens...  Smiley

And what exactly is "Feather Bowling?"  Did you feather bowl?

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #74 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 2:04am

I seem to have missed posting about a group called "Hard Place" that I saw a month or 2 ago! Smiley

They are from the San Francisco area and performed with a group called Pas/Cal.   Pretty interesting stuff.... I can't remember the name of the 3rd band...

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #75 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 2:09am

Quote:
And what exactly is "Feather Bowling?"  Did you feather bowl?

Feather Bowling is a Danish  or Belgium thing.... It's a little like Curling, and bowling rolled together.  

It's played on a DIRT alley.   A feather is placed on one end of the alley.  (you stick it quill down into the dirt with the feather standing up).  Players take their turn and try to bowl/throw/roll these wooden things called "cheeses" (they look like  a wheel of cheese--sort of like the stones in curling, but without the handle.)

The goal is to either 1) lay the cheese on the feather or 2) be the closest to the feather.   You roll the cheeses down the alley and also try to knock your opponent's cheeses away from the feather.

The alley looks kind of like a ditch.... it's curved on the sides....

You play this with teams.... and lots of good Belgium Beer.

I think a bunch of drunken people got bored one  day while transporting their wheels of cheese to the market and made us this silly game.... LOL

Apparently, the Cadieux Cafe has one of very few Feather Bowling alleys outside of Denmark!

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #76 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 9:47pm

OK. I didn't really go to this show, but I got a double DVD of Mccartney's Boston show. Great performance with some real surprises. About two thirds of the material was Beatles songs, including a couple of songs that John originally sang the lead on. His band is top notch and they sounded great. Nice little acoustic set in the middle of the show by Paul solo. He did a few on acoustic guitar and then sat at the piano and did solo versions of "For No One" and "She's Leaving Home". Very enjoyable show from staret to finish.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 2:08am

Sir Paul is aways good! I will have to look for that DVD!

My hubby has a few Video DVDs. I think it's interesting to see the behind-the-scenes stuff! Smiley  (I think he has Rush, The Who and Aerosmith on DVD.)

A few years ago, I went to see the Stones in concert at the Silverdome--was amazed at how much energy Mick Jagger still has--he was running from one side of the stage to the other (and It was the width of the football field.)

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #78 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 9:47am

I saw Bon Jovi last night at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Detroit... GREAT show. The band rocked(Richie Sambora is a very under-rated guitar player) and has great stage presence. For most of the songs it was a massive sing along. The band had a great stage setup with huge video screens and neon lights. Hearing 18,000+ fans sing along with songs is very cool, and there has only been a few concerts where the crowd has sung along this loud.

Even if you just like the hits, I say its worth dropping the money and seeing the band atleast once. Its fun, its exciting, and it rocks.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 3:56am

I saw the Black Eyed Peas and Gwen Stefani last week.  Overall, a very entertaining show.  BEP were great...every song they did was excellent.  Fergie rocks.  I'd go see them again tomorrow if they came back here.

Gwen's a fine entertainer, but her solo songs aren't nearly as strong as her No Doubt songs (she didn't sing any!--that was pretty disappointing).   I'm looking forward to her getting back with No Doubt.  Although the tickets were expensive ($67), we were in a skybox so the drinks were free (and plentiful);  I felt like I got my $ worth.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #80 - Nov 27th, 2005 at 9:27pm

Brew-- that sounds like a fun concert.
I would have gone to it when it was in Detroit, but we had some other conflicts...

We'll have to catch her in No Doubt sometime...

One band I would love to see live is "Bare Naked Ladies".  Those guys write some truly crazy songs!

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #81 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 11:53am

I saw U2 a few weeks back... awesome show. I'm not a huge U2 fan but when I was able to snag a cheap GA floor ticket I decided to go. Great show! If you have even just alittle intrest in the band pick up their new live in Chicago dvd... it is selling for only like 12 bucks and is amazing.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #82 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 12:26pm

No concerts yet this year... Sad

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #83 - May 12th, 2006 at 10:58pm

Saw Sigur Ros last night at the State Theater. WOW! What an audio and visual experience! If you are familiar with the music of Sigur Ros, then you can imagine how well all of the psychedelic looking visuals went with their music. Kind of reminded me of the light shows at the Grande Ballroom, but much more elaborate. A most memorable night.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #84 - May 13th, 2006 at 5:25am

I just saw The Frey and James Blunt.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Pretty mellow, not a rock concert at all, but entertaining.  He has an interesting high voice!  It's really great to see shows at the Hard Rock Hotel in Hollywood, FL.  The Hard Rock Live is about a 5,500 seat arena.  Great sound and you can see from everywhere!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #85 - May 30th, 2006 at 8:45pm

I saw the Violent Femmes and Ben Folds Saturday night.  A free show on the Milwaukee lakefront at the brand new Miller Stage on the Summerfest Grounds.  Miller kicked in $2 Million to move and improve the stage, and then sponsored this free concert to show off the new stage--and gave everyone their first beer free!

It was a nice night and a great show.  The Femmes really rocked (like they always do).  I knew every song in their 95 minute set.  They closed the show out going away with "Add it Up" and an encore of "Kiss Off".  Ben Folds really rocked, too, which was a bit of a surprise for me.  The highlight of his set was a fierce piano version of Dick Dale's "Miserlou".

Overall, it was just an appetizer for Summerfest, which opens June 29th.

This message sponsored by the Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee Wisconsin, and the Milwaukee Tourism Commission.

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #86 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 8:21pm

Last night I saw the English Beat at a tiny, 100-year-old theater.  I'm always very skeptical about re-formed versions of great old bands because often a key ingredient is missing, and the taste just isn't the same.  Although it wasn't the original band, this reincarnation of the Beat was led by Dave Wakeling (the original leader and singer).  He has assembled an all-star 6-man ska band which includes the guitarist from the Specials and a great rhythm section from I don't know where.  Wakeling just turned 50, but looks about 35 and sounds as good as ever.  They played for an hour and 45 minutes, all the great English Beat classics (Save it For Later, End of the Party, Rough Rider, Stand Down Margaret, Tears of a Clown, Mirror in the Bathroom, I Confess, etc. etc.) and played a few great General Public tunes (Tenderness, Never You Done That, I'll Take You There).

The place was hot, sweaty, and crowded with about 500 really happy people (especially for a Sunday night!).  The opening band, the Invaders, were local Brew-Town Ska favorites about 15 years ago, and recently re-formed (I think just to play this show).  They also were a blast--they had they pretty much the whole crowd skankin' from the first song.

Overall, an excellent way to spend a Sunday night.  If you dig this kind of music like I do, and this version of the English Beat comes near your town, don't miss it!  You will not be disappointed.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2006 at 7:45pm by BrewCity »  

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #87 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 11:20pm

Saw the Charms earlier this spring. Looking forward to seeing the Handcuffs this coming weekend!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

lmk_new

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #88 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 9:02am

Saw Coldplay in February (didn't really care for the show).  Saw the Romantics (Yay!) in Phoenix in May...can't think of anyone else this year off the top of my head.  Saw a TON of Billy Idol shows last year, and wish he would do some U.S. stops again this year. 
Brew, I ran into a woman at the market yesterday who had an English Beat tee shirt on!  She saw the show in Royal Oak on Friday, and loved it.   Smiley
Will see the Romantics on July 21!!!

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #89 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 7:25pm

i haven't been to any concerts this year at all!!
next stop, manitowoc for the romantics!

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #90 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 7:46pm

I forgot to mention...at the English Beat show, the venue RAN OUT OF BEER!!  ON A SUNDAY NIGHT!!       Only in Milwaukee.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #91 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 7:54pm

i hope liza was driving!!
did you make it to work yesterday?

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #92 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 11:08pm

Absolutely!  Caught up on my sleep Monday night.  Today, I feel like a million bucks.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #93 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 11:13pm

you young kids have it made!! i don't think i am ever caught up on my sleep!

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #94 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 2:01am

"Young kids"!  Ha!    Grin

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #95 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 9:25pm

I don't think that you can ever "catch up" on sleep!  I feel like I am the walking dead!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #96 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 11:13pm

I can absolutely catch up on sleep.  It usually just takes one really good night, two nights at the most.  And maybe one or 2 half-hour naps.  And then a bit of caffeine.  And some catnip.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #97 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 12:14am

Went to Chicago this weekend and saw

The Handcuffs (Happy Birthday to Chloe!)
and
The Goldstars (who made a special nod to the Romantics in their set-- the lead singer is originally from Livonia, MI and a big Romantics Fan!)

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #98 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 5:15am

pinkbubelz wrote on Aug 8th, 2005 at 11:59am:
I'm thinking of checking out the White Stripes at the Masonic Temple in Detroit when they come in town....

Speaking of The White Stripes.......White Stripes win lawsuit over royalties.

The White Stripes (Jack and Meg White) won't have to share royalties with a producer who worked on the band's first two albums, a federal jury ruled Thursday.

DETROIT (AP) — A federal jury ruled Thursday that the White Stripes don't have to share royalties with a producer who worked on the rock band's first two albums and claimed he played a pivotal role in creating its signature sound.
The eight-member panel deliberated about 20 minutes before returning its verdict in U.S. District Court, rejecting claims by Jim Diamond, who is listed as co-producer on the band's self-titled first album, released in 1999.

Diamond also is listed as sound mixer on De Stijl, released in 2000, but the White Stripes denied that he helped create their style. The band said it had paid him $35 an hour for time at his Ghetto Recorders studio.

Jack White, singer and guitarist for the two-member band, told The Detroit News outside court he was pleased with the verdict, noting: "You never know what's going to happen in a trial." White now lives in Nashville.

A message seeking comment was left Thursday afternoon for Stephen Wasinger, a lawyer for Diamond.

The trial in Diamond's federal lawsuit before U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn started Monday.

Earlier Thursday, with Jack White and White Stripes drummer Meg White looking on, lawyer Bert Deixler argued that Diamond's engineering work on the records did not meet the standard for authorship.

"None of that constitutes originating an original work or causing it to come into being," Deixler said.

Wasinger, arguing for Diamond, cited liner notes from the 1999 album in which the band gave Diamond co-producer credit.

"Mr. Diamond at that time, in that place, was equally talented," Wasinger told the jury.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #99 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 9:58pm

Mr Diamond was "equally talented" to the White Stripes? If he has as much "talent" as the White Stripes, then he must really suck as a producer.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #100 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 12:54am

OK, Oldfriend!  Now tell us how you really feel about the White Stripes!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #101 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 3:34am

Tonight!
Live @ Meadowbrook!
anybody going from the board?

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #102 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 9:22pm

Bookies--Did you go to Live? 

LMK--Are you touring the Midwest with Billy Idol next week?  He's here in Milwaukee on Thursday.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #103 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 6:05pm

i sure did go to Live!!!
oh how i love that band!

brew they will be in your neck of the woods august 11!! i was thinking about going but i think its general admission and i hate those kinds of shows!

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #104 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 8:02pm

Do you know what venue they are playing on 8/11?  I can tell you if it's G.A. or what the deal is.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #105 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 11:45pm

Eagles Club/The Rave/Eagles Ballroom
2401 W. Wisconsin Av., Milwaukee, WI  53233

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #106 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 2:46am

Oh, yeah--that's always General Admission.  It's a really cool venue, but you might get pushed around a bit if there's a big crowd.  That's the same place Billy Idol is playing next week.  The Romantics played that building in the mid-'80's, but they have reconfigured the ballroom since then.  It's nicer and cleaner now.  They have 2 different concert halls--one holds about 600 and the other is about 2500.  They wait to see how many tickets are sold before they decide which stage to use.  It's a pretty good system.

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #107 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 8:12am

Saw 1964 the tribute back on July 6th at Meadowbrook. These guys sound so much like the Beatles it's scary. They somewhat resemble the Beatles as well. They use the same vintage equipment and dress like the Beatles did. The original George and Ringo who were in the band when they first started over 20 years ago are back in the band and it is a definite upgrade to their live performance. The other guys were good, but these guys really nail the vocals and this George's guitar playing is flawless. The thing is, the Beatles themselves never played many of these songs  as good live as these guys do. Every harmony is perfect, such as on Paperback Writer. If you ever heard any live bootlegs of the Beatles from the 66 tour when they were doing this song, you know that the Beatles weren't even trying to play good live shows anymore at this point. They were tired of touring and smoking too much weed. 1964 the tribute performs these songs perfectly, and also do many songs that the Beatles never played live. If you are a Beatles fan, you will love these guys. Know ahead of time that they only perform material up to the Revolver album. I'll be going in a couple of weeks to see "Get Back:the cast of Beatlmania. They cover the Beatles entire career and do some pretty amazing versions of songs Like "I Am The Walrus" and "Strawberry Fields". This is also a very worthwhile show for Beatles fans.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #108 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 9:40am

For anyone in the Orlando area, Pete Best will be doing a meet and greet at The Hard Rock Hotel on the 29th of July.
I happened to be there on Thursday for the Flock of Seagulls concert and saw that posted.  Nothing really too much to tell about that one.  There were only 2 songs that I recognized!  Not too many people there.  Mostly everyone was there for the all inclusive food and drinks!  Which were  very interesting!  A new bottled beverage by the Anheiser Busch company called Peels caught my attention!  The blueberry pomogranite was excellent!  And might I add, very healthy for you! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

buyadodge

KEEP-IN-TOUCH

STERLING
Reply #109 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 3:49pm

seen the romantics last friday.

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #110 - Jul 30th, 2006 at 9:56pm

Went to Warped Tour on Saturday. Didn't see too many bands because it was just too hot to stand in the sun. Did see Saves The Day and they were cool. I just stayed most of the day at the Weakend's merchandise table inside of Comerica park. The Weakend played a super tight set and had a way bigger crowd than the earlier bands on the same stage. The crowd sang along on a couple of songs so it was obvious that there were a lot of fans who made a point of seeing them. The crowd was even calling for an encore but the tight schedule would just not allow it. The band's merchandise (T shirts and CDs) was selling at a steady pace all day and they ended up selling about 1300 bucks worth of stuff. It was a worthwhile day despite the extreme heat.

IP Logged

Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
Reply #111 - Aug 5th, 2006 at 11:57am

Thanks for the review of 1964,Oldfriend.I received my tickets today to see them here in New York on Oct.22nd,and I can't wait!!!!!!
I'm pulling double-duty that weekend.The night before the 1964 show I am going to see the package tour that I see every year of Tommy James And The Shondells,The Turtles and The Grass Roots.Hope I'm up for it!!!

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #112 - Aug 14th, 2006 at 2:10am

Went to see "Get Back-The Cast Of Beatlemania" last night at Meadowbrook. While I still think that 1964 The Tribute does the early Beatles material better than anyone, Get Back still does an excellent job on the early material including one of my favorite Lennon tunes ever, Norwegian Wood. That's one tune that I have never seen 1964 perform, so seeing Get Back do such an excellent job on this song was a real treat. What is really outstanding though, is what Get Back Does when they come back from the intermission. They come out in the Sgt Pepper outfits and now have mustaches and the Lennon character has those round Lennon glasses on, and the visuals alone will give you chills, because all of these guys, especially the George character, have a striking resemblence to the Beatle they are playing. But the music is the thing. They perform flawless versions of songs like "Strawberry Fields", "I Am The Walrus", "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", "Lady Madonna", "Hey Jude", "Got To Get You Into My Life", "Get Back", "Come Together"(this one in particular was dead on, with the Lennon character now sporting shoulder length hair and a white suit), "Birthday", "Revolution", "Back In The USSR", "Something" (the George character's voice sounds EXACTLY like George), "Here Comes The Sun", "The Ballad Of John And Yoko", "All You Need Is Love", and a couple of others. If you are a Beatles fan, this is another show that you can't go wrong with.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #113 - Aug 14th, 2006 at 5:42am

Have you heard about the new Cirque De Soleil in LV?  It's called Love and celebrates the musical legacy of The Beatles.

"Born from a personal friendship and mutual admiration between the late George Harrison and Cirque founder Guy Laliberté, LOVE brings the magic of Cirque du Soleil together with the spirit and passion behind the most beloved rock group of all time to create a vivid, intimate and powerful entertainment experience.

LOVE evokes the exuberant and irreverent spirit of The Beatles, as interpreted through the youthful, urban energy of a cast of 60 international artists.  Using the master tapes at Abbey Road studios, Sir George Martin and Giles Martin have created a unique soundscape of The Beatles music for LOVE. The custom-built theatre at The Mirage features 360° seating, panoramic video projections and surround sound which will envelop the audience, who will experience The Beatles music like never before... "

THE RED CARPET

The excitement was building as the first few celebrities stepped onto the red carpet. Familiar faces including Deborah Harry (Blondie), Steven Van Zandt (Bruce Springsteen, The Sopranos), Billy Crystal and Lauren Hutton hastened their way into The Mirage … for this night they were there simply as fans.

Giles Martin, son of Sir George Martin, stopped by for a quick comment: "I'm very excited by everything. It's great to be here. I'm delighted. I'd love to talk to you more but I have to go and look for my dad."

Then all of the sudden, amidst a deafening roar, the evening sky lit up like fireworks in a frenzy of flashes as Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison made their way between the velvet ropes.

John Lennon's widow was the first to appear. Friendly and relaxed, she walked slowly and calmly, stopping and answering questions at length. Olivia Harrison followed escorted by her son and Guy Laliberté, who had these few words to share: "I love to have a good time, you know, and tonight is an emotional time for me because it's the culmination of a dream that I shared with one of The Beatles, and today it's coming true, so I'm very happy. George isn't here tonight but seeing Olivia and The Beatles pay tribute to that dream touches me greatly."

Cynthia and Julian Lennon were next to make their way past the thousands of photographers' lenses. "It's a coming together of all the families, as we hadn't seen each other in so many years." said Julian before they both disappeared into the theatre.

Things heated up when Sir Paul stepped onto the red carpet as photographers and reporters did their best to get as close as possible, squeezing so hard the security ropes fell over! "Paul! Paaaul! Paaaaaul!" He did his best to accommodate the overwhelming crowd and stopped for a few questions before disappearing into the theatre.

Gilles Ste-Croix, Director of Creation, moved towards the crowd to say a few words: "Tonight we celebrate! Tonight we'll return to Savile Row as we discovered it when we went there two and a half years ago. This show is called LOVE, with good reason: the entire project radiated love, every step of the way!"

Creators and artists from the show also walked down the red carpet. Alongside Gilles were spotted Dominic Champagne, Show Concept Writer and Director, Chantal Tremblay, Associate Director of Creation, Jean Rabasse, Theatre and Set Designer and many others.

You could feel the frenzy heating up one last time as Ringo made his appearance; however the legendary drummer had to go by quickly as the show was about to begin. But he kept his promise to come back to the red carpet to give his impressions after the show:

"I loved the show and I loved the music! I think the show is really exciting. I thought the effects, the people doing their stuff, the projections were great, too much, really! I thought it was very emotional; who knew a few years ago when The Beatles were just chatting to each other making those records that we could put it to such great use. And it was emotional because two of us aren't there. Overall, it's a festival of love. Peace and love."

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #114 - Aug 14th, 2006 at 5:43am

Continued......

THE SHOW

Before the show, Guy Laliberté took a few minutes to relate how sad he was that George (Harrison) wasn't able to see the outcome of the project they had begun together but added that he was certain that George was with them. Scott Sibella, president of The Mirage, then got up and dedicated the evening's performance to two very special guests, Siegfried and Roy.

After a very warm round of applause the show got under way. From the very first note, LOVE had everyone going down memory lane. And if you could manage to tear yourself away from the action on stage, you would have caught a glimpse of Sir Paul singing or Ringo air-drumming along to the music that Sir George Martin and his son Giles so deftly remixed.

At the finale, the crowd erupted in applause and Mr. McCartney and Mr. Starr, joined by Ms. Ono, Ms. Harrison, George Martin, Giles Martin and the show's director, Dominic Champagne, took a victory lap around the stage. Mr. McCartney called out to the crowd, "Just one special round of applause for John and George."

Backstage, after the show
After the show, everyone headed to the training room to greet the artists. Sir Paul spoke to the performers, saying "Good night everybody, you're all great… I used to wear some of those clothes. It's fantastic, it just gets better and better, it's just beautiful, the energy is fantastic and the love you're putting into it and the skill, beautiful, thank you very much! I don't think we can say thank you enough. Thank you!"

A family photo was taken, with wide smiles and more than a few peace signs to be seen. Then some of the artists got to pose with their heroes one on one and get a few autographs. It was truly a magical evening… and it wasn't over yet!

Comments from backstage
"I thought it was beautiful. It was fantastic." Yoko Ono

"I am very happy, it went well. Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr were seated behind me and they had a blast the whole time. It really makes you feel good inside. And the big reunion at the end with Paul, Ringo, Yoko, Olivia and the Martins, it was like a dream to find myself in the middle of that. A magical moment that was completely unexpected." Dominic Champagne, Show Concept Writer and Director

"Something extraordinary happened at the end of the performance. At the second encore, Dominic and I brought Ringo, Paul, Olivia and Yoko onto the stage. Everyone was yelling, the artists too, and the distinctions between the artists and the audience disappeared." Gilles Ste-Croix, Show Concept and Director of Creation

"At the end it was fantastic. The Beatles went up onstage and dedicated the show in their own way to George and John. Then they came to see the artists. It's super to have them with us today. It's a special and unique occasion." Chantal Tremblay, Associate Director of Creation

"I am relieved and very, very, very happy. It was a great night. Seeing Olivia, Yoko, Paul and Ringo on the stage together, that was wild. It was really a spectacular night and it is the culmination of two and a half years of intense, difficult but wonderful work, and once again, I am very happy." Jean Rabasse, Theatre and Set Designer

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #115 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 10:18pm

I went to see Gary Numan Sunday night and couldn't get in!  It was sold out!  And I called the venue about 2 hours before showtime to confirm that they still had tickets!  I know I could've gotten advance tickets, but what are the chances of a Sunday night sellout on an old washed-up half-man/half-robot one-hit wonder that has never had a hit record since 1982?  That was a bummer....he doesn't tour through here often.....I think it's been 23 years since he was last here.     Embarrassed

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #116 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 2:36am

Add 2 more Romantics shows to my list of shows this year! Smiley

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

Pac-Man
God Member

Chomping Away

Reply #117 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 1:07pm

Went to the Seattle Little Stevens Rolling Rock and Roll show and saw (in order);

The Zack Static Sect (local band), The Charms, The Shadows of Knight, The Romantics, The Earaches (local band)

The first 4 were great.  The last band was just that, an earache

It was a small venue thus you were able to get up close to the action.  We were able to meet Jimy Sohns of The Shadows of Knight and all 4 from our favorite band...The Romantics plus a few more folks "attached" to the band Smiley  We were able to chat with everyone for some time as well.  They were great to chat with.  Even though this was the first time we had meet the guys in person,  the best way to describe things is it was like sitting down with old friends and catching up.  Thanks for a great time and awesome show.   Cool

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #118 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 7:54pm

Pac-Man, glad you finally made it.  Looks like the Romantics got promoted to headline status!  You are absolutely right about the band members--they are really easy to talk to even the first time you meet them.  It is like catching up with old friends because we go back so far and have lots to talk about.

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #119 - May 9th, 2007 at 9:59pm

Went to see Michael Penn last night at The Ark in Ann Arbor. What a talented guy. It was great to see him in such a small room. We saw him the last time he played The Ark about 20 months back. Again, we were right next to the stage, no more than 10 feet away from him. What an amazing catalogue of great songs he has and what a nice guy. I picked up both of his new cds and he signed them both and posed for a picture with me and my son Jeff. One of his new cds is a "best of" which has familiar hits, some alternate versions, and demos. The other cd is a rerelease of Mr Hollywood Jr which is now a double cd with a lot of live tracks. If you are a Michael Penn fan, you need these discs.
The night started like it did the last time we saw him at The Ark, which was next door at Connor O'Nieil's irish pub with shepard's pie, irish stew, and some Guiness and Boddington's. It was a great night of food and music.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #120 - May 14th, 2007 at 11:46am

Recently went to see The Brothers Groove at the Cadieux Cafe (Feather Bowling anyone?!)  It was  a fun evening-- hanging out with my hubby and his cousins. Smiley  (Eric's grand uncle used to be a champion pigeon flyer when they did contests at the Cadieux Cafe!)

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #121 - May 14th, 2007 at 8:13pm

pinkbubelz wrote on May 14th, 2007 at 11:46am:
(Eric's grand uncle used to be a champion pigeon flyer when they did contests at the Cadieux Cafe!)

Dare I ask what a pigeon flyer is?

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #122 - May 18th, 2007 at 11:26pm

Someone who raced pigeons.  Smiley

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #123 - May 22nd, 2007 at 10:27am

LOL!  I'm picturing the little pigeon sneakers they wore! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #124 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 12:24am

Got to see my sister's band (The Sharp Things) play last weekend   Looking forward to seeing The Romantics and The Police in the next few weeks.

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #125 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 10:52pm

Just when I think 1964 The Tribute can't get any better than the last time I saw them, they seem to put on an even more amazing show. Every harmony and guitar part was just perfect, and they even added a couple of songs to the show that I have never seen them do before, including one of the encore songs which was "Birthday". It was a request because it was a young boy's mom's birthday. That was the first time I have ever seen them do a song that was post Revolver. Rich and his son went with us and this was the first time they ever saw these guys. Needless to say, they loved the show. 1964 The Tribute will be back in the area in November.

IP Logged

Kevin64

I Love YaBB 2!

Long Island,New York
Reply #126 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 6:55am

Oldfriend,I saw 1964 for the 2nd time just a few weeks ago here in New York.I too was blown away by them once again.They do change their set list alot,so I was glad to hear them play Rain and Thank You Girl.These guys amaze me,and I can't wait for them to return to New York!

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!
shoemach5 schumach23  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #127 - Jul 15th, 2007 at 11:32am

I love the Beatles... Oldfriend-- will you let us know when they are back?  If my schedule isn't packed with work duties, my hubby and I would love to check it out!

By the way-- say "hi!" to Rich-- My air conditioning is working GREAT!!! Smiley

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

Pac-Man
God Member

Chomping Away

Reply #128 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 1:22pm

We saw Night Ranger the other night.  They put on a great concert and are worth checking out if anyone gets a chance.   Cool

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #129 - Aug 15th, 2007 at 10:48pm

Just saw Crowded House at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor last night. Absolutely amazing. They sounded SO good. Neil Finn sounded great and every background harmony was right on the money. Instrumentally they were flawless. They did a bunch of the hits that you would expect, a few from the new album (which is great), and a couple of surprises like a song from the Afterglow album. They did two three song encores and played for well over two hours. Fantastic show. We started our night at Conor Oniell's with some great Irish food and Guiness and Bodington's. It was one of those really memorable nights.

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #130 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 10:33pm

Just saw the Yardbirds last night at the Magic Bag. This lineup has a guy from Royal Oak on bass and lead vocals and his voice is remarkably similar to Kieth Relf's. There is a guy on background vocals who blows a mean harmonica which really fills out the sound. The guitarist is a young 23 year old english guy who definitely does the material justice. Of course original members Jim McCarty on drums and Chris Dreja on rhythm guitar are there as well. They did most of the songs that you would want to hear like Shapes Of Things, For Your Love, Over Under Sideways Down, Heart Full Of Soul, Train Kept A Rollin', Happenings Ten Years Time Ago, Rack My Mind, Drinking Muddy Water, I'm A Man, and Smokestack Lightning. They even performed Dazed And Confused with Keith Relf's original lyrics. It was a really excellent show and if you are a Yardbirds fan, you won't be dissapointed with this lineup.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #131 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 10:29am

Nice review!  I wish I was there! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #132 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 12:37am

Get Back: The Cast Of Beatlemania. Another great show last night at Meadowbrook, especially the 2nd set where they perform the material from Sgt Pepper to Abbey Road. Amazing live versions of Strawberry Fields Forever and I Am The Walrus. These guys and 1964 The Tribute are the best Beatles shows around.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.