Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Concerts you have been to this year (Read 15123 times)
solodka
Ex Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Re: Concerts you have been to this year
Reply #15 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 5:23am

Well, I haven't heard the album, just the concert. I do have to agree with you oldfriend,  that the originals are great and can never be touched, but if you would have heard them last night and felt the energy there I am sure you would have felt the same way I did.  Mind you, I went into the concert being a skeptic and ended up really enjoying it.  I have seen many bands in my day and really appreciate the hard work that goes into touring and actually, the hard work that went into building the arena.  The acoustics in there would do anyone justice.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 8:33am

oldfriend, well I respect your opinion, but to me STYX is what is right about rock. Maybe you never liked them or whatever, hey thats cool, but having only known of STYX since 3 or so years ago.. they really impress me. I saw them on Saturday and it was what a rock concert was suppose to be - huge stacks of amps, fancy lights, loud guitars, they didn't take themselfs too serious, and you could really tell they love what they do. From piano, guitar, drums solos to joking with the crowd it was perfect to well me.  The crowd was eating up the covers too. So Larry Gowan's vocals didn't match perfectly up with the orginal "I Don't Need..." recording but hey he was having fun, it sounded cool, I had fun - maybe I just like bands if I can have fun rather than how perfect they can be.

solodka, the guitar player, JY, has only played with STYX. They did Mr. Roboto in the medley of songs on Saturday(they play it in full now and then but say it kinda ruins the flow of the show).  Wouldn't you agree STYX puts on one fun show? I loved the Humble Pie version of the song, but man on Saturday Larry(the keyboard player/vocal guy on that song) was jumping all over the place on that song.  Did STYX/REO  jam together?
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2005 at 11:47am by Andrew »  

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 9:15am

Andrew, No, REO and Styx didn't jam together. That would have been quite an interesting sound there.  But it was the bass players name that I was searching for.  It was Ricky Phillips.  He played with the Baby's and Bad English.  At least that was how Tommy Shaw announced him.  I did look it up and I am correct.  Anyway, Tommy Shaw still reminds me of David Spade!  I found this on a website that you might want to read:
http://toddsucherman.com/deartodd18.htm

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 9:29am

As someone who didn't really even listen to rock & roll (my parents only listened to classical music and a tiny bit of Doris Day) until I was in 8th or 9th grade, Led Zeppelin, Styx and REO Speedwagon were some of the bands that got me into listening to rock music in the first place... I haven't ever seen them perform live, though, so I think it would have been fun to have seen them in concert... Smiley  (Hey, maybe it's a "chick" thing, but I like their music!--then again, I also like some AC/DC, so there's no accounting for rhyme or reason... LOL)

By the way, I do think that cover tunes are a good way for people to get introduced to other bands....

In fact, the first time I ever heard "What I like About You" was when a band in my high school covered the song... (Their guitar player took lessons from Mike Skill at the time).   If it hadn't been for that band, I might have never gotten into the Romantics in the first place... Smiley

I tend to agree with Andrew-- I go to see a band because I like being entertained--whether they play their own songs or are doing covers of others, as long as they sound good (to me) and are truly enjoying themselves, the audience tends to get that vibe from the band, that's what's most important to me... Smiley

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 11:54am

solodka, That link was a nice read. Check out this link, its a really good interview with JY of STYX - the interview is kinda long but VERY good: http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/Interviews05/jyyounginterview.htm

I asked you about STYX/REO jamming because on this live DVD of both plans at the end they come out and did some jamming together which looked really cool. They are doing some big arena tour together this fall with some other to be announced classic rock band.  Its funny you say that about Tommy reminding you of David Spade, for some reason I always thought that too!

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 1:32pm

Wow!  That was a great interview.  I actually grew up in a home that was very much influenced by the blues.  When you think about, that's where it really did indeed all begin!  That was a very interesting and prolific article.  Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #21 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 2:11pm

Quote:
(my parents only listened to classical music and a tiny bit of Doris Day)

Hey! I always liked Doris Day and the Time.
(oops... nevermind)

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 7:41pm

I think Boris just gave someone "The Bird"!    Tongue

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #23 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 10:53pm

While all of these horrible over-produced bands like Styx and Boston  who couldn't write a decent song to save their lives were polluting the air waves with their pretentious drivel, bands like the Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Elvis Costello , and Blondie were putting out albums and playing REAL rock and roll but could not get any airplay. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 11:34pm

And of course, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.  So, I guess that means you won't be buying the new Spice Girls CD?  LOL! Grin

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #25 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 11:42pm

Nothing against you oldfriend, I just don't think we'd ever agree on this issue.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2005 at 3:28am by Andrew »  

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #26 - Jul 14th, 2005 at 11:54pm

With hopes that I won't be torn to shreads because of my taste in music(I got the wierdest taste in music... espically for being 17), here is concerts I've been to recently:

- A festival with Randy Bachman(who rocked!), STYX(they rock, and they know how to put on a rock show), ? and the Mysterians(everyone was booing them... I mean when you look so bored you are about to sleep you should just get off the stage!), and there were a few other local bands.

- Sammy Hagar: so awesome! His stage setup was like a big beach bar. He had bleachers of people on the stage. Mike Anthony came out and played some Van Halen songs with him.

- Good Charlotte/Relient K: I went mainly because I got front row tickets and because I dig Relient K. Both bands put on a really good show.

-Santana/Los Lonely Boys: After hearing the 'Heaven' song I was turned off by the Lonely Boys, but man the rest of their cd just rocks, and they put on a great show! Santana really impressed me - it was my 3rd time seeing him.

- New Found Glory/Eisley: It was nice to see New Found Glory in a small club on their back to basics tour. Sure they may just play power chords, but it was a fun show!

Coming up: Warped Tour, Sammy Hagar, ZZ Top, Clint Black, Hootie and the Blowfish,  Bon Jovi,  STYX/REO, The White Stripes.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #27 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 12:48am

music, as in all art forms, is really open for interpretation and is pretty much subjective.
just because we do not enjoy a particular type of music, we can certainly respect people as artists onto themselves.
like billy corgan, i went to his show last week not having ever been a smashing pumpkins or zwan fan but i came away with a new respect for the man and his talent.
i do not believe there is any definative answer as to who is a "great" band or who is "polluting" the airwaves because it is all a matter of preference.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jul 15th, 2005 at 2:15am

Definitely.... each person has his or her own list of personal musical choices....

I like a lot of music and enjoy listening to a variety... (from Classical to blues to jazz to rock to pop to country to hip hop to dance to opera, etc....)  much of what we listen to is inevitably influenced by our family and friends... Smiley  Where we come from, where we are going....

But....after all that, I still can't stand Blondie even though Clem is their drummer....but hey, that's what makes things in life interesting!!!

On the classical side of things-- I've always hated playing Bach on the piano... The only exception is that I enjoy the Brandenburg Concerti (written for orchestras with string or wind soloists)... Something about the meticulously written strict time format  of many of his pieces bores me to tears... Wink )  Give me Beethoven or Mozart any day over Bach!

Like I said... I grew up with Classical piano roots... Smiley  It wasn't until I started Swing Dancing with my hubby that I learned the jazz rhythms. (and we still can't boogie very well to Latin Rhythms!)...

But, if you ask me about the history of rock & roll, I'm at a loss... That's one of the reasons why I find this message board so interesting--I've learned so much about the different bands that are out there--and my musical collection keeps growing! Smiley

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't listen to music in all its different forms--it makes life so interesting!

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #29 - Jul 17th, 2005 at 9:38pm

my son went to cleveland to see the knack and the raspberries friday.
he said they both sounded great.
raspberries headlined and he said eric carmen was at his best and could "almost" hit all of the high notes!
wished i was able to catch that show.
oh well, i have neil diamond coming up august 5!
Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.