Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The song is famous, but not the band? (Read 1150 times)
Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

The song is famous, but not the band?
Sep 4th, 2005 at 12:37pm

"What I Like About You" is easily one of the most popular and enduring pop songs ever written and recorded by anybody.  Over the past twenty-five years, this song has outlived its initial popularity and is now almost ubiquitous...on classic rock radio, in TV commercials, at sporting events, and in the soundtracks of movies and TV shows.  There's even a television sitcom written around the title of the song.

What's always a bit frustrating for Romantics fans, however, is that while people all over the civilized world know the song, they have no idea who was behind it.  Everybody knows "What I Like About You", but do they know the Romantics?

Case in point:  I have a younger friend who was too young to have been a music fan during the 1980s.  She loves "What I Like About You" and "Talking In Your Sleep".  Until I told her, however, she had no idea that both songs were by the same band...and that that band was called the Romantics (to be fair, however, I didn't know that myself until 1990 when I bought the Romantics' greatest hits CD).

Also unfortunate is the fact that even people who know that the Romantics were behind both "What I Like About You" and "Talking In Your Sleep" haven't heard their other great songs such as "When I Look In Your Eyes", "Rock You Up", "A Night Like This", etc.   

The Romantics have had a great track record of songs, but I often wish they also enjoyed a more distinct public identity...so that the band can be as easily recognized and remembered as the great music they've written and recorded.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Re: The song is famous, but not the band?
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 9:37am

I'm always surprised at how clueless most people are about what bands play what songs.  Unless it's a huge band like U2 or the Stones, most people just have no idea about anything.  I constantly get calls from friends asking me "who's that one song by?" because I'm the only one that knows (or usually cares).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.