Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Clubs The Romantics Have Played (Read 5710 times)
solodka
Ex Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Re: Clubs The Romantics Have Played
Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 5:24am

Quote:
Please, give us your review of the show!  We love to get the different angles, especially since we haven't heard from anyone who went to that Orlando show.  How did the band sound?  How was the crowd?  etc..

You can actually see photos of the people who were there on the website for the Velvet Sessions!  Free drinks and food was abundant that evening!  I am the type of person who likes to be right up front, so right up front I was!  Well, close, about 3 people back from center stage!
I was with a whole bunch of girls that evening.  One of whom was actually in the Talking In Your Sleep video.  We are true die hard rockers and danced the whole time!  The Romantics were awesome!  Don't ask me now to remember what was played because that will not be happening!
I do believe that might have been the first show that Rich was involved with in a long while.
The energy was high and a good time was definitely had by all!  My first experience was one that I will remember forever!  I do have to say that I really enjoyed listening to Wally commenting during the performance.  It showed his personality!  I like it when bands interact with the crowd and interact he did!  Unfortunately, that is the first time that I was without  my camera because I didn't know if it would be allowed, so I didn't take any photos!  But I have had it all the time since!  My next Romantics concert I will be sure and take photos!  Biloxi here I come!  That is if it is still there! Grin

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 1:50am

Rich tells me that the Romantics did indeed play CBGB's a few times while he was in the band. In fact, he tells me that the Romantics were in the middle of a set when a huge blackout hit New York and cut their set short.

IP Logged

mikethedrummer
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - May 16th, 2008 at 3:02am

My apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, but I have a lot of catching up to do...

I saw them play three times at The Decade in Pittsburgh:

3/20/79 - Opening for The Police - The Romantics went over really well - almost got called for an encore.

5/25/79 - My band, Eddie & the Otters, opened.  They played two sets, no encore, but went over well.

2/7/80 - Eddie & the Otters opened again.  They played their standard set for the tour supporting their first album, two encores.  This was on my birthday and it turns out that my wife-to-be was in the audience - it was her birthday too - which ultimately led to us meeting a month later.

I also saw them in December of 1980 at the Masonic Auditorium in Detroit (I'd moved there for my first job after graduating from college).  The difference between seeing them in a small club in Pittsburgh and on their home turf was unbelievable - constant screaming, three encores.  Does anyone know if this show was broadcast on the radio?  I have a promo 45 of "I Ain't Got You" from this show - it was the third encore - and I got the impression it was from a nationally syndicated radio broadcast.

Also saw them in 1984 opening for Adam Ant at the Stanley Theatre in Pittsburgh.

If anyone's interested in setlists from the 1979-80 shows, let me know...

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #18 - May 16th, 2008 at 5:46pm

seeing those setlists would be fun mike!!
yes, i believe the masonic show was a live broadcast on wabx maybe?
i think the band does their best shows in front of the home crowd!

thanks for your post!
i just checked out some info on eddie and the otters
interesting stuff!
http://members.aol.com/mkolesar/otters.htm

IP Logged

mikethedrummer
YaBB Newbies

Reply #19 - May 16th, 2008 at 7:31pm

The setlist for 3/20/79 (opening for The Police):

First In Line
Running Away
She Knows It
I Can't Tell You Anything
Give Me One More Chance
Tell It To Carrie
Outside Influence
Stone Pony
The Girl Next Door
What I Like About You
She's Got Everything
Coming Back Home

The setlist for 5/25/79:

1st set

When I Look In Your Eyes
Hung On You
She Knows It
Give Me One More Chance
Tell It To Carrie
Take Me Out Of The Rain
Something Else
Stone Pony
Let's Swing
The Girl Next Door

2nd set

First In Line
Running Away
Outside Influence
Till I See You Again
Keep In Touch
She's Got Everything
What I Like About You
Hippy Hippy Shake
Coming Back Home

The setlist for 2/7/80

When I Look In Your Eyes
Hung On You
Give Me One More Chance
Till I See You Again
Stone Pony
Keep In Touch
The Girl Next Door
Tell It To Carrie
Little White Lies
What I Like About You
Friday At The Hideout
She's Got Everything
Coming Back Home
Hippy Hippy Shake (1st encore)
The Last Time (2nd encore)

This must have been the standard set for the tour, because I have tapes of radio broadcasts from the Paradise in Boston (2/12), the (Hollywood?) Agora in Florida (2/24) and Royal Oak Theatre (3/2) that are identical.

If anyone has a recording of that 12/80 show at the Masonic, I'd sure love to get a copy.  All I remember about the set is that it was a mix of cuts from the first two albums, the 1st encore was "The Beat Goes On", the 2nd was "Hippy Hippy Shake", and the 3rd was "I Ain't Got You", which made it onto the B Side of "A Night Like This".

What are the bands feelings about live recordings, particularly the early shows?

Thanks!

Mike

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #20 - May 19th, 2008 at 4:59am

mikethedrummer wrote on May 16th, 2008 at 7:31pm:
What are the bands feelings about live recordings, particularly the early shows?

oldfriend?

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #21 - May 19th, 2008 at 6:27am

I know someone who would love to have a copy from the Agora Ballroom show in Hollywood, FL!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

mikethedrummer
YaBB Newbies

Reply #22 - May 20th, 2008 at 12:21am

E-mail me and we'll work something out.  Please keep in mind that when I acquired the tape, it was labelled "Florida Agora" - I'm guessing it was Hollywood but could be wrong.  Any corrections would be appreciated.

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #23 - May 20th, 2008 at 5:31am

Yo Brew, I know that when I gave Wally and Rich copies of "Meet The Romantics", they really enjoyed the dozen or so live tracks that were on that cd. At this point, I don't think they really much care about what is floating around out there for the last 30  years or so. I can't imagine that they would object to the fans trading different live recordings. I know they didn't have a problem with me giving you guys the Meet The Romantics disc. Rich tells me he listens to it all the time and Wally has posted here that it is his favorite Romantics cd. That's why I am thinking that they probably wouldn't mind some of the fans here having some of the stuff I put on DVD either.

IP Logged

wallypalmar
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #24 - May 21st, 2008 at 10:31am

mikethedrummer wrote on May 16th, 2008 at 7:31pm:
The setlist for 3/20/79 (opening for The Police):

First In Line
Running Away
She Knows It
Give Me One More Chance
Tell It To Carrie
Outside Influence

Thanks!

Mike

A source close to the band can confirm the song title as "Outside Interest".   Wink

IP Logged

mikethedrummer
YaBB Newbies

Reply #25 - May 21st, 2008 at 7:54pm

I'm mortified.   Embarrassed  Thanks for the correction Wally.  You'll never get me to admit that at the time of that show, I thought "Stone Pony" was called "Slow Boating".  Apparently I'm somewhat challenged when it comes to deciphering lyrics.

By the way, do you happen to remember that particular show or any of the other times you played at The Decade, Wally?

IP Logged

wallypalmar
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #26 - May 22nd, 2008 at 11:15pm

I distinctly remember that show with The Police as we did 3 or 4 shows with them and the last one was in Detroit.  We headlined the Decade 2 or 3 times after that.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #27 - May 28th, 2008 at 6:17am

"Slow Boating"!

That's my favorite!   Cheesy

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #28 - May 28th, 2008 at 8:29am

Isn't that what you do in the inter coastal water ways?!  Just kidding!  I thought Brew would have gone with that one!  I used to think the theme song for Live and Let Die, was The Little Red Spy!  And You're The One That I Want by Olivia Newton John and John Travolta was You're The Wizard of O!  Go figure!  I'm sure that everyone has some!  Or at least I'm hoping! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #29 - May 28th, 2008 at 10:30am

By any chance, does anyone happen to have a live recording of She's Got Everything?

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.