Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brad Elvis Tidbits (Read 3812 times)
bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Brad Elvis Tidbits
Jun 9th, 2005 at 7:59am

A bunch of Brad's songs are featured on the soundtrack of a documentary that will be airing nationally on PBS June 21 (the P.O.V. series). It's called "The Education of Shelby Knox" and it won a quite a few film festival awards this year, including Best Cinematography at Sundance and the Audience Award at SXSW. There are a couple of Handcuffs/Big Hello songs in it, but also four or five other songs written solely by Brad (performed by the Elvis Brothers). Kind of a fun fact if anyone is in need of a Brad Elvis "fix."

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Re: Brad Elvis Tidbits
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2005 at 10:36am

Thanks for the tidbit.  It is always great to hear what projects the guys are involved in.   8)

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 1:54pm

Woo Hoo... Got my "Brad Elvis" (and Chloe) fix this weekend in Chicago... Smiley

I never get tired of watching him perform! It's always a pleasure seeing him play the drums!

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 8:40pm

Iris, how is a Handcuffs' show?  Fill us in!  We need a full review!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 11:30pm

Okay, here goes!
Eric and I didn't make the decision to go to Chicago until about 3 p.m. on Saturday afternoon... we had planned to leave Detroit at about 4 p.m. (plus 5 hours of drive time-- it would have dropped us into Chicago at about 9 p.m. Detroit Time/8 p.m. Central Time)... Unfortunately, we didn't actually leave until almost 5 p.m. Detroit time, which meant little to now "buffer time" for us to get to Chicago before the 9:30 p show...

After driving like maniacs to Chicago and arriving at about 9:15 Chicago time, we got stuck a big traffic jam on Lake Side Drive (unbeknownst to us, this weekend was also the Chicago Blues Fest Weekend.)  Luckily, we finally were able to escape and to head towards the club (Martyrs)...

When we finally reached the club at about 10:05, we were relieved to find that The Handcuffs were actually going on at 10 p.m. instead of 9:30 p.m! Smiley  We missed most of the 1st song, but were able to hear the rest of their set...

Brad was, as usual, great fun to watch... We are only sorry that we missed his drum solo on the first song!  This was the first time we had a chance to hear The Handcuffs live (we had heard some of their music online... Smiley  )   Chloe has a really unique voice and is great to watch-- very energetic and fun!  

Here is their set list:

First Class Bossa Nova (w/drum solo intro)
I'm Not Laughing
Car Crash
Can't Get the Girl
Peggy Moffitt
Mickey 66
Beg Me Beg Me
Safe Tonight
Stop Your Crying (Part Deux)

Sadly, the club didn't allow them to play the full set of songs they had Angry  , so they left us wanting more....  (I think  they were only on stage for about 30 minutes!)  Chloe told us after the show that they were really restricted on instrumentation due to amp inputs on Saturday (she normally plays the guitar, but couldn't), however we still enjoyed the show! Smiley

We weren't that familiar with the Corals, but they sounded pretty good as well.  The club was intimate in size, I'm terrible at estimating, but it looked like maybe 125-150 people there... They played only about 1 hour and only 1 set... (didn't get their set list, sorry!) I'm definitely a die-hard Brad Elvis fan now... the Corals drummer wasn't nearly as interesting to watch!

All-in-all it was a fun evening, and we even got to hang out a bit with Brad and Chloe and their guitarist, Frank.

Hoping to see Brad again in either in The Romantics or the Handcuffs...  He has so much fun-- I always enjoy watching him play!

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 5:28pm

wow iris!  it sounds like you had a great time! thank you for the review.  we are all looking forward to you taking more spontaneous road trips during the summer and filling us in! Wink

hudson, wi?

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 8:13am

I really wish I could go, but we already made plans to get together with a friend we haven't seen in about 14 years.... Hopefully, they'll be playing again in the midwest soon!!

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 5:38pm

its time for a michigan show!!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 2:13am

This sounds interesting!  Check it out if you have the chance!

THE EDUCATION OF SHELBY KNOX
featuring music by The Handcuffs and Brad Elvis
TUESDAY, JUNE 21, 2005 on PBS
10 p.m. EST/9 p.m. CST
(please check your local listings)

Music by The Handcuffs (as well as past Brad Elvis masterpieces) will be featured in a terrific documentary airing this Tuesday night, June 21 on PBS (the P.O.V. documentary series) at 10 p.m. EST/ 9 p.m. CST. Please check your local listings for the correct channel number and time for your area.

"The Education of Shelby Knox, (Sex, Lies and Education)" by New York filmmakers and champions of free thinking Marion Lipschutz & Rose Rosenblatt, won a bunch of awards this year including Best Cinematography at the Sundance film festival and the Audience Award at SXSW.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 2:06pm

FYI:

In Detroit, the Education of Shelby Knox won't be airing until Sunday, June 26th at 11:30 p.m.  Smiley

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 9:56pm

It was an interesting documentary--Unfortunately, I only got to see the 1st half (through Shelby's Sophomore Year)--we had to pick up my parents from the airport and my VCR is broken... Sad I recognized Chloe and Brad's music as soon as it came on, but missed the 2nd half of the documentary...

Does anyone know if Brad wrote all of the music in the movie?

IP Logged

buyadodge
Ex Member

KEEP-IN-TOUCH

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 2:40pm

even though it's been a couple of months since seeing the boy's play, the experiance stays with you. iv'e seen alot of bands play at small clubs to 80,000 seat stadiums. comp tickets, press passes, suites, tour busses back stage, dressing room and after show passes for atleast a hundred shows. the one band even after seeing them perform dozens of times has me feeling for weeks after the energy felt at the concert. watching brad perform is a joy in itself. he always enjoys himself and has a great time playing. his presence really completes the band.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 4:01am

I know!!!

Have you seen the new Handcuffs video-- there's a shout-out to the Romantics (Chloe is wearing one of their shirts!) 

I'm going through Romantics withdrawal.... must see them soon... (I don't care if it's in rehearsal!!!.... hint, hint)

IP Logged

buyadodge
Ex Member

KEEP-IN-TOUCH

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 12:57pm

Quote:
even though it's been a couple of months since seeing the boy's play, the experiance stays with you. iv'e seen alot of bands play at small clubs to 80,000 seat stadiums. comp tickets, press passes, suites, tour busses back stage, dressing room and after show passes for atleast a hundred shows. the one band even after seeing them perform dozens of times has me feeling for weeks after the energy felt at the concert. watching brad perform is a joy in itself. he always enjoys himself and has a great time playing. his presence really completes the band.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 4:55am

Buyadodge... you must have been sleepy... Smiley  you didn't add any thing to your "quote"... Smiley

And I totally agree-- Brad should be a permanent addition!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.