Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Romantics and young listeners today. (Read 986 times)
Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

The Romantics and young listeners today.
Jun 6th, 2005 at 11:39am

Those of us who grew up in the 80s know what a great band the Romantics are, but most of today's teens and twentysomethings probably haven't heard of the band.  Does anyone have any experiences or anecdotes to tell where they've shared the Romantics music with younger listeners and gotten a positive response?

My goddaughter, who turned five last January, is a big Romantics fan (thanks to her dad and me).  She starts dancing every time we put on "What I Like About You", "Talking In Your Sleep", or "When I Look In Your Eyes". 

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: The Romantics and young listeners today.
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 8:40pm

My son Scott grew up listening to the Romantics, whether he liked it or not. When he was four or five, he had a Romantics photo hanging in his room. Five years ago when the Romantics played an outdoor concert here (Scott was 12), he met Wally. Wally said, "Kev, why didn't you bring him out before?" I said, "Because you guys haven't been here in eight years." He said, "Fair enough." Anyway, Scott is now in a band of his own and plays lead guitar. I can't help but think having the Romantics (and the Ramones, and the Beatles, and Matthew Sweet, etc.) shoved down his throat his entire life helped form his love for music. His favorite band is Weezer, which isn't far from the power pop we all grew up with ...

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 11:17pm

My friends all know I'm a "Romantics fanatic"... Smiley

Most of the younger people I talk to about the Romantics give me a blank stare... UNTIL i mention "What I Like About You" and "Talking In Your Sleep".... Then a look of recognition hits their faces...

Of course, I tell them that they need to check out 61/49... Smiley 

Even my brother, who is 9 years younger and a big rap music fan, found 61/49 to be an interesting album (he does have a prettty broad range of musical tastes, from Rap to classical... Smiley  )

Those who have heard me play 61/49 have given pretty good feedback to me! Wink

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 2:09am

Like Kevin and Ken (and probably every music lover), I've been exposing my kids to all of my favorite music.  My oldest (6) likes the White Stripes, Weezer,  Rancid, Fountains of Wayne, etc. and of course the Romantics.  His favorites, though, are on "In Heat".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.