Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Romantics on New NBC reality show (Read 4414 times)
bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: Romantics on New NBC reality show
Reply #45 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 5:20pm

that's it for me!! i have seen enough!  what a total sham this show is and such a wasted one hour of my time.
it has absolutely NO redeeming qualities.
fake from start to finish.

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 5:42pm

Yep, this show is quite pathetic.  I am saddened to see another of my favorites on there next week - Howard Jones.  I will say, there is ONE redeeming quality, though - they are donating their winnings to charity.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #47 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 6:12pm

yes gbaby but how many of them could have afforded a huge donation to charity anyhow without making total idiots of themselves?

IP Logged

Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #48 - Jun 11th, 2005 at 1:59am

The show does help to highlight how well the Romantics have managed to maintain their collective dignity since the 1980s.  You look and listen to the Romantics today and you see an act that still has its original passion and charisma intact.  They're a little older, but not far removed from their prime.

IP Logged

knownote
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #49 - Jun 11th, 2005 at 3:08am

I wouldn't judge the groups too harshly on the show.  The show's sound mix is HORRIBLE.  Like I mentioned in a previous post, the music is pre-recorded, obviously to save time so they don't have to actually set up all the equipment and designed to make things faster and easier.  The problem is, it makes everything sound like crap trying to mix live vocals with pre-recorded music.  Which I think is one reason the hip hopsters and rappers seem to be doing so well on the show, they don't ever REALLY play anything anyway!

I know the knack sound better than they did on the show. (there's no excuse for A Flock Of Seagulls though, their lead singer just plain sucked)
Tommy Tutone's mix was probably the best mix on this past show.

The pre-recorded music is largely what's giving it all that "cheezy" "fake" feel.  And the stupid host doesn't help either.

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #50 - Jun 11th, 2005 at 2:02pm

I watched it for the first time last night.  I enjoyed seeing the groups, but the format and the host suck.  It is way to much to cram into 1 hour (less than that with commercials).  I am willing to bet this show will be gone shortly.

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #51 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 3:16am

I just saw the show, and have to say, I enjoyed the bands, especially The Knack : )  "My Sharona" is such a classic  Grin

I agree, the host stinks, and the show itself, nothing great, but it's nice to hear such great bands again. 

Looking forward to Howard Jones!

Lori

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #52 - Jun 12th, 2005 at 4:15am

I agree that it is nice to see these bands again.  Too bad somebody couldn't have come up with a better premise for such classic bands that deserve a better showcase for their talent. Sad

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #53 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 2:37am

Agreed! 

L.

IP Logged

knownote
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #54 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 6:33am

Bands Reunited on Vh-1 was a good place to see those kinds of bands again, but I think it's gone now.

There were too many let-downs on it., where bands wouldn't re-unite, or else someone would say they would reunite on camera, then back out or just plain not show up!

They had Squeeze on there and the they agreed to re-unite, but then Chris Difford was the only one to show up!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 1:52pm

Haven't seen the show, and judging by the comments here, I'm not sure I'm even going to try to see the show.... My hubby and I are in agreement... The Romantics aren't another "washed-up/has-been" band with no shred of dignity...They don't belong on this kind of show!

As my hubby put it so eloquently, The Romantics are a band who are serious about trying to come back with new music and to be better than ever... The sad thing is that they now have to "compete" with these other bands that are just desperate to get any type  of publicity, whether good or bad (in this case, a cheesy show) and who are trying to capitalize on their "nostalgia" factor... 

It's obvious from 61/49 that The Romantics aren't just trying to bring back their younger days, but instead they are making music that pleases them (and their fans) without being tired repeats of their musical past...

Good for them for turning down a show that would pigeon hole them as "one or few hit wonders of the 80s."!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 8:24am

Yikes-- half-watching this show tonight...
Wang Chung sounded horrible to me... My hubby was watching the bassist in one of the other  bands and he was playing something completely different than what was on the "sound track".....

And, Yes, the host is cheesy (Those Brits!  LOL)

Thank Goodness the guys chose NOT to play this show!!!  They would have to force the producers to let them REALLY play instead of going through the motions.....

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Reply #57 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 11:53am

I just wanted to set the record straight on a few things.  I  happen to know first hand that the band was offered the show, but never actually agreed to do it.  Somehow there was a misconception on NBC's part and that is why they had the Romantics photo on their website.  So as not to confuse anyone, the band has no desire to participate in the show at this point.
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2005 at 10:51pm by solodka »  

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 8:23pm

That's not surprising after seeing that crappy show.  It is a cool concept, though.  But Irene Cara.....gimme a freakin' break!   Embarrassed

Did anyone catch Howard Jones last night?  How was he?  What songs did he perform?

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Reply #59 - Jun 18th, 2005 at 1:52am

Howard Jones sang No One Is To Blame and then a song by Dido.  You can read a review on :
www.realitytvworld.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.