Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Romantics on New NBC reality show (Read 4409 times)
bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Re: Romantics on New NBC reality show
Reply #30 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 5:57pm

did i really watch that show?
i did!
what an embarrassment for all the acts that participated.
this was the worst hour of tv i have ever seen. 
good move Romantics by NOT doing this show!
it was awful!

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 8:45pm

I have to agree, in general that the show was sucky, but I think what made it so bad was the selection of new songs they played.  If The Romantics had to do a crapsong like Loverboy did, I can see why they rejected it.  However, if they could play something cool that rocks like "Ride" by the Vines, or maybe "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet, etc., they would have set everyone's TVs on fire (and saved the show).

I'll watch next week, though.  The Knack and Tommy Tutone may offer some hope.   Undecided

IP Logged

Timster2
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 8:04am

I'll go against my better judgement and watch next week, just to see the Knack and Tommy Tutone. 

I wonder how old a required "current" hit can be .  Some of those "current" hits were a year or so old.

It makes me wonder if the Romantics were initially up for the show until they found out that they had to play someone else's hit, rather than being able to
plug 6149.   Although BrewCity mentions some good choices  for them to cover, I could understand why their enthusiasm would've dropped off.

You got me bothered, You got me hot, I'm Hot & Bothered - I want what you got!

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 8:29am

I agree.  I didnt know they had to play someone
else's hit either. That is kind of a goofy requirement.  It would have been good publicity though.  Howard Stern was talking about it all morning.

IP Logged

jonnie2224
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #34 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 12:50pm

You know what was even more sad ? Did the singer of "Loverboy" eat his hits OMG what a blimp !!! Give Wally credit at least he's in shape !!!
I agree if the Romantics could play Jet as a cover that would be awesome !!!!!

IP Logged

knownote
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #35 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 11:08pm

Perhaps the Knack has been reading this board...I checked and they are on next week and their cover song will be "are you gonna be my girl". 
The Knack are my odds on favorite to win next week. They've been playing and touring (like the romantics) since the 80's and in the past couple of years released a concert dvd in which they sounded fantastic.
I think the Romantics would perform just as well as the Knack are going to....even though a lot of people think the show would be bad for them, I think they could do it and really shine in it.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #36 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 11:34pm

i too love the Knack live and have gone to see them just about every summer that they play here. 

i still support the Romantics in their decision NOT to do this show though.

IP Logged

Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #37 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 11:41am

I can understand the Romantics not wanting to play this show.  Still, I hope the band gets some kind of new national exposure in the near future.  It's time that the country...nay, the world remember how great this band has always been.   Pop radio could use a band like the Romantics now.

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #38 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 8:42pm

I'm a big Knack fan too. Those guys still sound incredible live. I hope they do well this Thursday ...

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jun 6th, 2005 at 11:27pm

I didn't see the show, but it sounds like The Romantics would have blown the other bands out of the water...(which would have been good despite the apparent cheesiness of the show.)

Just looking at the photos on the site, our guys at least still LOOK like they still perform, vs. just looking old and washed up!

And, I think it is funny that They'd give Tiffany a Kelly Clarskton song to sing... I was never into Tiffany back when I was a kid, I can only imagine how bad the song sounded...

I might watch it this week just for kicks...

IP Logged

Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #40 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 1:22am

I like to think that the producers of the show rejected the Romantics after getting one look at  and one listen to them and thinking to themselves, "No, no!  They won't do at all!  They're still too cool, competent, and sure of themselves!  There just isn't any pathetic factor to work with here!  These guys are just still too good!"    Smiley

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 1:31am

OK, we're still hoping for an explanation from the band about what happened......Were they invited?  Did they accept and then pull out?  Did they try to get on and were rejected?  Curious minds need to be quenched!    Grin

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #42 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 6:35am

i don't have an "official" word but i did hear something to the effect of they had agreed to do the show initially and had a change of heart.

IP Logged

knownote
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #43 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:50am

I believe they may have had an issue with something I noticed tonight on the show.......all the music tracks are pre-recorded!
Which is part of the reason that most of the artists don't sound that great.  The difference in quality of the pre-recorded music and live vocals don't mix well.

The show's not over yet tonight, but if vanilla ice wins, I'll swear off the show!

So far I think Tommy Tutone's sounded the best, even though I'm a big Knack fan.  On the Knack's cover, he couldn't quite hit those high notes on the Jet song.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #44 - Jun 10th, 2005 at 8:57am

Ok, I'll break down on this one... good thing the Romantics didn't take part in this crap.

I didn't catch the people performing their hits, but the covers made me want to puke. The Knack did ok with Jet, but they had some lyrics wrong and didn't bring the dirty/grunge feel to the song. Tommy Whatever was horrible. Being a Blink-182 fan, I wanted to puke big time. Again he sang alot of wrong lyrics. Added lyrics in the bridge. Change the entire guitar chord structure, oh and the main melody for the "na-na-na-na-na" was so far off. After that I turned it off and was gald the Romantics didn't take part in this crap.

I would like to catch the Knack one time.. thought this year they are playing a private party when they swing through town

I did notice that the music could be pre-recorded - at times  the Knack's singer wasnt playing his guitar but I could have sworn I heard his guitar.. hmmm.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.