Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Relationship between Jimmy and rest of band? (Read 3709 times)
Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Relationship between Jimmy and rest of band?
Apr 12th, 2005 at 3:29am

What has been the state of Jimmy Marinos' relationship with the rest of the Romantics over the years?  There has been discussion that when Jimmy left the band in 1984 to strike out on his own, there were creative differences between Jimmy and the others that made it difficult for them to continue working together.  In the years since, Jimmy has returned to the fold to work intermittently with the Romantics again, although never as a full-time member as he had been in the early years.  He stood in a united front with the others during the legal battle against their former management (which makes sense, since Jimmy had a definite stake in the outcome of that case), but are Jimmy and the others getting along personally these days?
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2005 at 11:42pm by Ken_Cheng »  

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Relationship between Jimmy and rest of band?
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 5:27am

Ken,

I can't speak to the relationship between Jimmy and anyone in the band, with the exception of Coz.  I know the two of them have remained close friends through the years.

Many people on this board (Tizlin, Oldfriend???) have more recently been around the band and can probably answer this question best with regard to Jimmy and Mike and Wally.

Lori

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 6:45am

The rest of the band gets along fine with Jimmy these days, but Jimmy is just not that fond of touring anymore.

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2005 at 9:13am

Oldfriend,

Don't know how a frown face got put next to your name - sorry about that!

Lori

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2005 at 9:45pm

clem is such a great drummer and brad has done fantastic job steppin in......the romantics have always put a great drummer behide the set but how so nice it would be to see jimmy more involved with the band.

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

drumboy65

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2005 at 7:23pm

I'd love to see Jimmy back with these guys pounding those Ludwigs. I saw the band here in Tampa a few months back and have to admit I was not that keen on Brads drumming. Brad seems more of a showman ( Tommy Lee ) and this band needs the meat & potatoes groove that Jimmy has, or even Clem for that matter. They were great, but a bit lax in the drum chair......

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2005 at 10:50pm

I have to disagree. After seeing the Romantics with Brad a few times it is obvious that he has chops galore and is an excellent timekeeper with really tasty fills. The fact that he is a showman is just icing on the cake.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2005 at 2:08am

I have to agree with oldfriend...I saw the Romantics twice last year with Brad on drums, and I'd have to say they have never sounded tighter than they do now.  To my ears, (although I love Clem with Blondie) Brad is far superior to Clem in the context of the Romantics.

But Jimmy does add a whole other dimension to the band with his pounding and his showmanship.  You can fill his chair, but he will never really be replaced.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2005 at 3:16am

I've really only heard Clem and Brad play live.
Unfortunately, I never got a chance to hear Jimmy on the drums--I've only seen him in their videos. I can only imagine the energy he brought to the band in his younger years--after having seen him singing this past New Year's Eve and all of his energy there, I can only imagine how much fun he was behind the drums!  There was another drummer at the River Rock Cafe concert (around 1988 or so, but I don't remember who it was (I don't think it was Dave Petratos, either-- my hubby thinks it could have been Johnny Bee....)

My vote is for Brad vs. Clem.  Both are good drummers in their own vein, but Brad seems to fit the personality much better-- the visual appeal of his "show" adds to the band as a whole... Clem is good, too, but not as fun to watch, he seemed a tad too "laid back" when I saw him... Both guys are very nice to the fans, though! Smiley

Personally, as long as I can see the guys perform, I'm happy! Wink

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2005 at 2:37am

seeing all three...jimmy....clem....brad.......there all great and all great picks.....the romantics have always set a great drummer behind the set.......i do agree with all

jimmy is no doubt the best fit....image...energy....style
and showmanship...fun fun fun

clem......laid back....but is a great fit....no complants from me....hes my second favorite all time drummer
jimmy being number one.

brad......fun to watch.....entertaining.....other great fit.

i like the fact that two of my favorite drummers drummed for one of my all time favorite bands.

and i agree with iris...as long as we can see the band perform....im happy too!!

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2005 at 6:41pm

of course for nostalgia reasons, I would prefer to see Jimmy.

between Clem and Brad, I would take Brad hands down!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.