Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Show ideas... (Read 1053 times)
Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Show ideas...
Apr 8th, 2005 at 3:16am

I attend alot of concerts at DTE Energy Music Theatre(north of Detroit) each year. Besides the big tours, alot of bands are booked by the venue and have no opening act on tour with them. For example last year local band turned one hit wonder(maybe two hits), Verve Pipe opened for REO Speedwagon. It wasn't like the Verve Pipe was on tour with REO or anything - and the Verve Pipe sucked! I don't think anyone there enjoyed them(the place was 3/4+ filled). Same thing with Eddie Money only with a cover band(though the crowd loved them). Same goes for the CCR show and Journey show, etc.  So why not get the Romantics to open for some of the classic rock bands this summer out at DTE? Sure they would only play for about an hour, but its more shows and its thousands of people being able to rock out to the Romantics! And maybe not just Detroit, I'm sure other city's venues do the same thing.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Re: Show ideas...
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2005 at 5:13pm

well, i would have to disagree with you on this one andrew.  i would rather see the romantics at smaller venues as THE headliner.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2005 at 8:41pm

I think Andrew's point was to get both.  You could see them several times throughout the summer.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2005 at 10:09pm

Yes, don't get me wrong I would love to see them as a headliner, but it would be a chance for them to play a few more gigs. Going back to the Verve Pipe example, they played for just over an hour, and it seems like most Romantic headling shows arn't over an hour and half - so really it would be cut out 2 or 3 songs. Plus talk about exposure!

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2005 at 11:16pm

Maybe we should bombard the NFL with suggestions for the Romantics to do a few tunes at the super bowl half time show. I would hate to see some crap like Eminem representing Detroit on national TV. A little rock from the Romantics, and maybe a little soul from Stevie Wonder or the Temptations.

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2005 at 4:07pm

Quote:
A little rock from the Romantics, and maybe a little soul from Stevie Wonder or the Temptations.

Now you're talking.....that would be awesome.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2005 at 11:43pm

My whole point about the opening show wasn't to get a shorter setlist, but exposure! Sure it is fun seeing bands play the small clubs, but then only the true fans of the band know about the show and show up - you rarely get new faces, and if the show is so small, there may be no room for new faces. So cut out 30 mins of the set and play for an hour - thats still a nice amount of time! Sure it pleases the fans playing at smaller venues, but in the long term it would seem like that wouldn't get the band much exposure and chance to bring in new fans. Just think, seeing the Romantics play for an hour on a nice summer nice at DTE Music Theatre... 15, 000 people are there - thats more people the band would be exposed to in just one night then one some of their entire small tours. Sure its one thing to give up the little secret we know as the Romantics and share it with the word, but if we complain everytime the Romantics get a chance to play the big venues, we are also complaining that the band is having sucess! So what if the band plays a few "bigger" shows and they play for "only" an hour for a few shows - thats more chances to see them, and its not like they never do a club show again! Firgure it out... instead of them playing one Detroit club show in the summer for 1.5 hours, they do 2 shows at DTE that equals 2 hours of Romantics in Detroit this summer instead of one show not to mention the thousands of new fans(yeah I know, DTE probably wouldn't book the same band twice - but they do with Eddie Money and he isnt THAT big)!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 3:08am

I'd rather go to DTE with The Romantics as the headliner! Wink

That would be a LOT of fun (especially if us die-hards could party with them before and after the show!)

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 5:53am

Hey, if Eddie Money can do two nights in Detroit and the Knack can headline DTE, why not the Romantics? Tickets would be free like the Knack show, but I bet if its a nice summer night the crowd would be a good sized. Heck get Web to get the Dirty Americans/Sights(up and coming Detroit bands) to open the show. With season ticket holders, DTE is already 25% sold out, so we know tecnincally the show would be 25%+ sold out.

Or have the Romantics do the opening thing/headline Freedom Hill... thats some 5,000 seats smaller. There is also a small 2,000ish seat outdoor place near Birch Run that it would be cool to see the Romantics at(www.clioamp.org).

Either as a headliner or as a opener(come on people... more chances to see the Romantics), it would be awesome to sit back in the summer sun on the lawn or in the seats on a beautiful summer night listening to the Romantics(wait, no one should be sitting at a rock concert!).

Other ideas:
- Harleyfest at Freedom Hill, its a big all day festival put on by the WRIF
- SterlingFest... a growing festival in Sterling Heights(about 20 mins north of Detroit). Last year Rick Springfield headlined(bookies did you go to that show?).
- Get the Romantics to play one of the outdoor stages for the downtown fireworks
- Tastefest again anyone?
- Garage rock festival here in Detroit... say at Freedom Hill, get Romantics, Dirty Americans, Sights, Dollfaces, Detroit Cobras...!
and the best idea yet...

- My prom!! Forget the DJ that will probably spin What I Like About You(I'll request it)... I would die to hear the Romantics!!!!  Smiley  8)
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2005 at 7:08am by Andrew »  

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2005 at 11:23pm

OK, the 2005 Major League Baseball All-Star Game will be at Tiger Stadium on July 12th.  Baseball always lines up bands for the 3-day all-star extravaganza.  When the game was in Milwaukee in 2002, they had Counting Crows, Nickelback and a coupla others.  I remember the Goo-Goo Dolls and The Ataris from Fenway Park at their all-star game recently.

How about the Romantics for Detroit's game?

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2005 at 1:51am

I told Wally and Scott that I definitely think people would like seeing the Romantics play at a Tigers game (more affordable).. Maybe even for a Lions Game  (a little more $$)

IT would be cool to have the guys at both the All STar ANd the Superbowl games!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.