Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Concerts you have been to this year (original) (Read 8405 times)
Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Concerts you have been to this year (original)
Mar 12th, 2005 at 1:06pm

What concerts have you been to this year so far?  I just saw Duran Duran the other night and all I can say is WOW!  They are great.  If anyone gets a chance and likes their style of music, it is worth going.   8)
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2005 at 9:12pm by bookies_original »  

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Concerts you have been to this year
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 3:21am

While it wasn't actually this year, a few months ago my family, some friends and I went to see Tears For Fears while they promote their "Everybody Loves A Happy Ending" album. I can't say enough about this show. For one thing, this album is SO good and in my opinion the best of their career. They did the whole album as well as the best of the other hits such as "Sowing The Seeds Of Love". The sound was mixed perfectly and their performance was flawless. I always knew that Roland was an excellent singer and musician, but I was really knocked out by Curt's bass playing as well as his vocals. It was all the more enjoyable because we were no farther than about 10 feet away from the State Theater stage. I have seen a lot of shows in my day, going back to my first which was the Dave Clark Five in 64, and this Tears For Fears show definitely ranks in my all time top ten.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 7:20am

Pac-Man, cool!  I'm going to see Duran Duran on Saturday with the wife (the tix were a Valentine's day present from me).  Got any cool highlights from the show you can tell me?

As for other shows, I'm planning to see Garbage and the Psychedelic Furs in the next month or so if I can make the shows.  Has anyone seen either of them recently?

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 12:10pm

If you visit their website (duranduran.com) you can find the set list.  So far it has been the same for all of their shows so you can view any set list for any show.  Simply put they are great entertainers and sound great live.  They have a video screen behind them which they use for most of the songs.  Just wait until you hear Careless Memories.  The video they have running on the screen is absolutely hilarious.  So much that I hope they make it available at some point.  They also have a gal singing with them and a guy playing the sax (forgot their names).  They both sounded great as well when added to the songs they were needed for.  In my opinion the only thing that would have made the concert better for myself would to have been able to meet them in person.  They have some shirts and other merchandise available although the selection isn't to large.  Shirts were around $35 each and the hat was $30.  The tour book was $65 and the soccer shirt was $100.  They did have a few cheaper items as well.  You will definately enjoy it.  I wish I was able to see them again.  I don't know if you will get the same opening act (I Am Robot) but they stunk it up.  Duran Duran performed for about 2 1/2 hours, well worth the $$.  Now if The Romantics get back out my way this year will even be even better  8)

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 9:20pm

Thanks for the rundown Pac-Man.  So far, no opening act has been announced--maybe they won't have one.  I checked out the set list...it looks pretty dynamite!

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 7:50pm

brew.....have a great time.....ive never was able to catch duran duran.....i would imagine it will be a great show...enjoy and have a brew!!!

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 8:49pm

So far, the only concert I've been to this year (2005) is the New Year's Eve event with the Romantics! (and technically, I heard them "last"year because they played before Midnight! Smiley

IP Logged

CozmoGirl
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2005 at 9:07am

For my anniversary I went and saw Keith Urban.  Awesome concert.  He can really play guitar. Cheesy

Hoping to see Motley Crue, but the tickets prices are sick.  Just have to see what happens. Smiley

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2005 at 4:57pm

like Iris, the only concert I have been to recently is the Romantics!

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2005 at 7:26pm

iris and bookies...you saw the romantics in back to back days.......and in a small time spanned you saw them in 2004 and 2005.

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

lmk_new
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2005 at 7:38pm

I was with Iris and bookies at the NYE Romantics show!

Will be going to see Billy Idol in May in Cleveland, and hopefully also in Tucson.   8)

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 3:15am

Saw Billy Idol a few years ago in Denver.  Great performer.  Steve Stevens has to be one of the most under-rated gutar players out there.  I don't know if you have picked up Billy's new CD yet or not.  He definately showed his diversity on the new CD.  It is almost as if he is doing little tributes to various artists old and new (IMO) as well as having some signature Billy songs.  Anywho you will enjoy the concert.   8)

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 5:38am

The Academy Is
Hidden In Plain View
Straylight Run
Something Corporate
Bottom Line
The Start
Goldfinger

Something Corporate was great, but Goldfinger let me come up on stage and sing, so they win the favorite concert so far award.

I plan on seeing:
New Found Glory
Reggie and the Full Effect
Jimmy Eat World
Taking Back Sunday
The Format
Weezer
Velvet Revolver
Hoobastank
Simple Plan
Good Charlotte
STYX
Bryan Adams
Santana
Los Lonely Boys

This year looks like to be a great year for concerts just from the few announcements already... and I hear Jeff Beck and Robert Plant are doing something together!

IP Logged

lmk_new
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 5:47am

Hey Pac Man...of course I bought Billy's new CD as soon as it hit the shelves!  I'm a diehard fan of his, and have been to many IDOL shows since the 80s.  If you go to billyidol.com and look under the Fans link, scroll down and look for Lynn Knapp.  There are a ton of pics of me there, as I have been in the front row several times!

Billy always gives 110% at his gigs, as does Steve Stevens.  The new band is very tight, and the bass player is a good guy.  The Idol shows are totally different than the Romantics shows!  Both are great for me, and I'd LOVE to see the Romantics again this year.

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2005 at 9:45am

I browsed the fan photos and found your photos.  Nice win for the fan prize contest.  I know we are hoping to catch him again if he comes out our way.  And of course we are hoping The Romantics make it out our way as well.  We haven't been able to see them since August 2002.   8)

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 2:36am

Going to see U2 tonight!! Opening show of the tour, here in San Diego.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 8:54am

Rob, we will need the full report on that show!

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 2:41am

Incredible show!!  Great mix of old and new songs, including Electric Co, Ah cat dubh/Into the heart, and 40, which haven't been played live in years. Opened with City of Blinding Lights, and closed with 40. The only songs missing I would have liked to hear were With Or Without You, and Bad. But, they have almost 30 years worth of songs, so some are bound to get left out.   All in all, they are still on top of their game.  See a show if you can.      

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 11:50pm

Here's a pretty good review...

http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=3893

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 10:20pm

brew....ill be picking up billys idols new cd this weekend......he is getting some air time on the radio station here......sounds good........yes steve smtih is unrated......been a fan of his since his electricfying sounds in rebel yell

IP Logged

lmk_new
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #20 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 11:31pm

Pirate, be sure to pick up Devil's Playground from Billy Idol.  It's a really interesting collection and several of the songs are new favorites of mine.

Steve Stevens is the lead guitarist and he is awesome once again on this new CD.   Smiley

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 9:17pm

Went to the 2nd U2 San Diego show on Wednesday night.  Even better than the first show! The set list included With Or Without You, and Gloria, wich were not played the first night. The new album is really carrying over live, and Edge's guitar playing is absolutely reaching "brilliant" status.

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #22 - Apr 5th, 2005 at 7:08pm

imk......i picked it up and it does sound good......scream gets alot of air time and im glad stevens put a side the atomic playboys which i believe they were called to stick with idol....the album rocks.....i havent been able to catch a billy concert but i hope soon that i can.

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2005 at 7:11pm

rob....U2 has never slipped for a second.....thats what i like about them......consistant rockin in roll.....consider yourself very lucky to catch them not once but twice.....
i bet you had a great time.

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #24 - Apr 10th, 2005 at 8:39pm

Haven't seen him YET this year but am hoping.  Tomorrow morning, tickets go on sale for Bruce Springsteen solo at a small venue close to home.  I can only hope I can nail 2 tickets  Grin

Lori

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Apr 13th, 2005 at 3:21am

Well......Lori, did you nail (the) Springsteen (tickets)?

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Apr 25th, 2005 at 11:38pm

I went to see the Psychedelic Furs last weekend, in a small (300 capacity) club.  Great show--I got my money's worth as soon as Richard Butler opened his mouth and that cool gravelly voice started to work its' magic.  We were about 10 feet from the stage, they played all of their cool songs, overall a great time.

IP Logged

lmk_new
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #27 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 8:45am

Saw Bruce in Detroit Monday night.  Sold out show, and very good.  I'm not a huge Bruce fan, but he was pretty incredible solo.

Seeing Billy Idol in Tucson and Cleveland the next two weeks and can't wait!

Brew, I saw the Furs a few years ago in  a small venue in Detroit.  They were great and Richard Butler is quite a showman.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Apr 30th, 2005 at 4:12am

I saw
Garbage
last night.  What a great band they are.  Excellent show!  Man, do they rock.

Butch Vig, the drummer, had his drums surrounded by a plexiglas box.  We were wondering, (any of you drummers out there)...was that just for looks, or does that do something to the sound?

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #29 - Apr 30th, 2005 at 7:48am

It probably makes it easier for the sound man to mix the drums without getting any "bleed" from the guitars.

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #30 - May 6th, 2005 at 11:51am

didnt clem do the same thing with the plexi glass when playing with blondie......i believe when they got back together for the "no exit" i believe was the title with the song "maria".....i wondered what was behind the purpose and then i thought maybe it was to stop a object being thrown.

IP Logged

One In A Million
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #31 - May 6th, 2005 at 12:31pm

I saw Billy Idol last weekend.
He pulled out a couple Gen X tunes as well as the new stuff and of course the other classics.  He has an awesome band with him.  I must also admit abs and leather never looked better.

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #32 - May 10th, 2005 at 11:21am

picture frame that stub one in a million......its not easy to catch idol......i have never been successful.......great pics.....billy no doubt has maintained his youg looks.....
his new album is fantastic...glad you had a great time.

i would sure like to see billy open up for the romantics...
......or either way it would be a night to remember.

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #33 - May 12th, 2005 at 1:26am

GREEN DAY
Last night.
Amazing.
I took my 10 year old daughter,
she had "the time of her life."
Been to alot of shows in 35 years and
seriously,  this would make my Top 5.
"Boris"

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #34 - May 12th, 2005 at 8:42pm

I saw a Green Day show last fall--they are entertaining as hell.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #35 - May 18th, 2005 at 6:07am

I'll be in a handbell concert with my hubby this Sunday at my church... does that count?  

Cheesy

Still have only been to one this year (the New YEar's Eve gig)...

Can't wait til summer when I can get out and about again!

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #36 - May 18th, 2005 at 3:32pm

More Handbell!

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #37 - May 18th, 2005 at 9:04pm

Did anyone see Will Ferrell last week on SNL?  He jumped onstage with Queens of the Stone Age and started playing cowbell in the same getup as on Boris's picture...the band completely ignored him until the very end.  I woke my wife up because I was laughing so hard.

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #38 - May 19th, 2005 at 5:20am

Yep.
Another Cowbell Classic.

IP Logged

lmk_new
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #39 - May 19th, 2005 at 9:19am

oiam, which IDOL show did you go to?

I saw him in Tucson and got autographs from the entire band.  All of the guys look and sound great.  Very good to the fans, too.  I've met Billy a couple of times, but that was the first time I got to talk to the rest of the guys. 
Also just saw him in Cleveland, which kicked a**!  The show was two hours, totally rockin', full of energy.  Billy looks fantastic.  I got another autograph from him while he was singing (he does that a lot), and got a drumstick from Brian Tichy and a Steve Steven's guitar pic.  Not a bad night at all!  8)

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #40 - May 19th, 2005 at 11:45am

Nice grab at that concert for you.  I am hoping to see him again soon and would love to meet him, get an autograph, etc.   8)

IP Logged

One In A Million
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #41 - May 19th, 2005 at 12:56pm

Quote:
oiam, which IDOL show did you go to?

He played Sunfest here in West Palm Beach, FL.  Next night was  Steve Miller Band which is an all time favorite of mine. 

Big week coming up: Black Crowes, Velvet Revolver and Marky Ramone & Friends.

Most anticipated show for me: Robert Plant!
If you are a Plant fan, "Mighty ReArranger" is excellent! My favorite of all his solo efforts so far.

New Weezer is excellent as well!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 11:40pm

The Handcuffs on Saturday, June 11th Wink

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #43 - Aug 14th, 2005 at 2:25pm

Watched The Fixx.  Another great band that sounds just as good, if not better live.  We were front row center having the best seats in the house.  We were able to meet all five guys after the show, chat for a couple, and get our CD and 45 record signed.  They really liked the fact that we had a 45 record.  To add to this I got some good pictures and they have an outfit with them called DISCLIVE that records thier concerts live and sells the cd about 15 minutes after the show.  Of course I bought one.  I think it is a great idea for bands to do this.  You get something to remember the concert by whenever you want to hear it and the band doesn't have to worry about people bootlegging it.  Perhaps The Romantics could look into the cost/benefit of it.  Now just hoping The Romantics get out this way to top off a year of good concerts.   8)

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Reply #44 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 9:29am

I am interested in this Disclive concept.

Here is the link that I found:

http://www.disclive.com/corporate/

How was the quality?  On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate it, with 10 being the highest quality.  Would you rate it up there with other live albums that you own?

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #45 - Aug 21st, 2005 at 12:48am

Yesterday (Friday) we were heading home from up north and stopped for the day in Gaylord to go to the Call Of The Wild museum and have dinner at the Big Buck. Afterwards we went to the Alpine ice cream shop (great homeade ice cream, candy fudge) and noticed that there was a bandstand set up across the street. When I mentioned to my son that I wondered who was playing a woman overheard me and said that it was her husband's band. I asked her what kind of music they play and she said that it was a Beatles tribute band. I asked what they were called and she said "Shout". I couldn't believe it! These guys are a very well known Beatles tribute band. Maybe a notch under 1964 The Tribute but still very good. We ended up staying for their whole show. As a result we got home about two and a half hours later than we had planned but it was worth it. They did a set of early material, took a break, and then came back in Sgt Pepper outfits and did some of the later material including songs that I had never heard a Beatles tribute band perform such as "Penny Lane" Hello Goodbye", Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, and "Magical Mystery Tour". The George character played keyboards on these songs to reproduce the horn parts with sampled horn sounds and it was right on the money.  These guys are also excellent singers with great three part harmonies and voices that did indeed resemble the Beatle that they each played. It was an unexpected pleasant surprise to catch their show and was a great way to wrap up our trip up north.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Aug 23rd, 2005 at 10:16am

Wow, oldfriend, that sounds like a great show! Sometimes the best ones are the ones found by accident... Smiley

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Aug 29th, 2005 at 8:37pm

I don't know if you would consider this a concert, but I did attend the MTV music video awards last night.  Did anyone happen to see it?

Green Day arrived in the vintage green convertible from their "Boulevard of Broken Dreams'' video, opened the show and won best rock video and video of the year. "It's great to know that rock music still has a place at MTV,'' said lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong, speaking of hip-hop's recent takeover.

"The theme of tonight is, anything can happen,'' said Diddy, whose entrance included dancers, pyrotechnics and a cascading waterfall that was definitely a sight to see!  And some sights you did see, while others I'm quite sure you didn't!  
Speaking of anything can happen, did you see Diddy give away his Jacob the Jeweler watch in the beginning?  Well, security actually took it back from the man and returned it to Diddy!  Of course, Diddy said he was serious and gave it back to him.  
Real money at one point in the show was released from up top. I think it was because they really needed to pay the people up front who took a huge soaking at the end of the show with Kelly Clarkson, but I'm getting a head of myself!

One of the biggest surprises was a performance from MC Hammer, recapturing some of his glory while shaking to his '90s hit, "U Can't Touch This."

The evening's most inexplicable moment may have come from R. Kelly, who remains a chart-topper even though he's awaiting trial on child pornography charges. On a bedroom set that looked like a scene from a  Broadway play, R. Kelly deliberately lip-synched highlights of his five-part soap opera infidelity song, "Trapped In The Closet,'' then debuted a new chapter involving a cheating wife, a cheating husband and his boyfriend. All I need to ask is WHY?!!  Was this really necessary??

The much-hyped white carpet was one of the Diddy-designed elements of the show. Another was the "Diddy Fashion Challenge'' in which he vowed to give away $50,000 each to the charities of the best dressed female and male at the event. Amerie, Gwen Stefani and Eva Longoria were the three female finalists; Usher, West and a pimped-out Snoop Dogg were the male finalists. Diddy himself was out of the running, though you wouldn't know it - he made three wardrobe changes in the first half-hour. The winner's were Gwen Stefani and Snoop Dogg, whom gave the money to his own basketball charity.!  I think the award should have gone to "Desperate Housewives" star Eva Longoria!  Did you happen to see what she was wearing?  For those who didn't, it was a very skimpy one-piece pink bathing suit that featured a plunging neckline reminiscent of Jennifer Lopez's infamous dress,
back when she was dating a guy named Puff Daddy! "Hey Diddy," Eva said,"you said anything goes, and I wasn't going to let a little hurricane prevent me from wearing my bathing suit!"

Not to be outdone, Latin singer Paulina Rubio wore a skintight lace, I believe it was a  Dolce & Gabbana gown, that showed off her thong. She calmly eluded the reaching arm of co-presenter Lil Jon. She seemed a bit uptight anyway!  From where I was sitting, which was behind one the main stages, you could see the presenters and the performers before the went on.  

I also think it was Paulina that announced the Gorillaz as winning for Best Break Through Video.  She announced that the Gorrillaz could not be there to accept their award.  Are they real?  I thought they were cartoon characters!?

There also was quite a Latin flavor to the show, with Colombian songstress, Shakira performing her sexy "La Tortura" with Spanish troubadour Alejandro Sanz. I think she is great!  I loved her performance.  I can watch her dance all night!  I think I may have taught her some of those moves!

Later, Don Omar, Daddy Yankee and Tego Calderon presented quick snippets of their songs showcasing the growing musical genre, which combines Caribbean rhythms with Spanish-language rap. I can remember them playing "Gasolina" in Mexico, Spring Break 2005, ALL NIGHT LONG!  Or else, I probably wouldn't  have even have known who those guys were!

Joss Stone and Ricky Martin, another 2 of my favorites, made an appearance as presenters.  However, their appearance did not go off without a hitch.  They rose up from the main stage a bit prematurely!  Continuing to hug at center stage, they still did not realize that they weren't "on camera".  They were ushered off back to their original positions just in time to be lowered again and then brought back up!  What did you see on television?

The awards show was briefly overshadowed by Hurricane Katrina, and an early Sunday morning shooting, when rap mogul Suge Knight was shot in the leg at a Kanye West party. I didn't really know who he is, but I found out that Knight, is the Death Row Records founder who has been at the center of some of hip-hop's most violent moments.  I think he even hung Vanilla Ice out of some hotel room years back!  Maybe Ice was getting his revenge!  Just kidding, no arrests were made.  I don't think they even know who did it and Knight's injuries were not life-threatening. He was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital and is doing  just fine.  

Which brings me to the main highlight of my evening!  The commotion that you probably, definitely, did not see!  While presenter Fat Joe was talking, 50 Cent walked across the middle of the stage.  Fat Joe made a comment that the beefed up security was needed because of 50 Cent.  Was that cut out, or did you catch that?  Well, after 50 Cent's appearance, he decided to tell Fat Joe exactly what he thought of him and called him the character that got whacked on the Soprano's  a few years back!  That's right, Big, P---Y. That caused quite a reaction!  People were flying over each other to get to the stage!  Police and security came out from all over and ran backstage.  I couldn't see anything except for  mass pandemonium and nothing else was even mentioned.  I feel another shooting in the air!

MTV maintained the water theme throughout the show, with Mariah Carey and The Killers performing from swimming pools located at The National and another South Beach hotel that I can't remember.

To end the show, Clarkson performed "Since U Been Gone" all while being soaked by a torrent of water!  I'm not really sure that she was supposed to do that, it seemed pretty spontaneous and I'm not sure that her make-up was waterproof!  Also, can microphones get that wet and still be safe?

That's my recap of the evening's events!  I didn't go to any parties afterward, that was enough for me!

Here is the complete list of winners:

Video of the Year: Green Day, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams."

Best Male Video: Kanye West, "Jesus Walks."

Best Female Video: Kelly Clarkson, "Since U Been Gone."

Best Rock Video: Green Day, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams."

Best R&B Video: Alicia Keys, "Karma."

Best Dance Video, Missy Elliott f/Ciara & Fat Man Scoop, "Lose Control."

Best Rap Video: Ludacris, "Number One Spot."

Best Hip-Hop Video: Missy Elliott f/Ciara & Fat Man Scoop, "Lose Control."

Best Pop Video: Kelly Clarkson, "Since U Been Gone."

Best New Artist: The Killers, "Mr. Brightside."

Viewer's Choice Award: Green Day, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams."

Best Group Video: Green Day, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"

Best Editing: Green Day, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams."

Best Cinematography: Green Day, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams."

Best Direction: Green Day, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams."

Best Choreography: Gwen Stefani, "Hollaback Girl."

Best Art Direction: Gwen Stefani, "What Are You Waiting For?"

Breakthrough Video: Gorillaz, "Feel Good Inc."

Best Special Effects: Gorillaz, "Feel Good Inc."

Best Video Game Soundtrack: Dance Dance Revolution Extreme.

MTV2 Award: Fall Out Boy, "Sugar, We're Going Down."
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2005 at 3:19am by solodka »  

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 4:16am

Wow!  That sounds pretty exciting.  I caught about the last half of the show.  The MTV awards shows are always by far the most entertaining of all the award shows--most of the other networks award shows are unwatchable to me.  I do wish the rap crap got less airtime, though.  They mostly all sound the same to me now...(I must be gettin' old.)  I saw the Killers performance (liked it) and Eva Longoria's outfit (liked it!), and I'm glad Green Day dominated.  I even liked the Kelly Clarkson thing with the rain shower that soaked the crowd, even though she kinda lost her voice halfway through it.  You're right, her eyeliner was all over the place, kinda Alice Cooperish.  Solodka, did you get to rub elbows with any music big shots, or were they all completely segregated?  Give us the inside scoop!

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 5:34am

Quote:
 Solodka, did you get to rub elbows with any music big shots, or were they all completely segregated?  Give us the inside scoop!  

It's funny that you should ask that.  It is a comment that was made last night.  They way everyone is placed, when the cameras pan the crowd it actually looks like you are really close to the celebs.  I can assure you that you are not that close!
I ran into a few of the rappers and people that I couldn't even tell you who they were!  I'm not one to recognize people or even pay that much attention.  I know, hard to believe because I am such a stickler for detail.  But with people, I do not really have much eye contact!  I would rather now be bothered!  So, I'm sure that they wouldn't either!  Shaq is quite nice though! Smiley

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #50 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 6:17am

not quite sure what Billy Joe's swipe was at MTV word for word but when I heard the excerpt on the news, i was so glad he said it!
also glad to hear green day dominated.
and for those of us who might be wondering:
what does eva longoria have to do with music anyway?

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 7:17am

Quote:
what does eva longoria have to do with music anyway?

Who really cares?!  She was a decoration and looked amazing!  We should all look half as good as she does and did in that bathing suit!
Grin

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Aug 30th, 2005 at 8:24pm

Yes.

We should.

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #53 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 11:09am

Agreed. Eva is fine! Went to see the Stones on Wednesday. Simply awesome. These guys can still rock the socks off of anyone out there. Jagger is amazing. His voice is still top notch, and how a 62 year old guy can keep moving and dancing for 2 hours without slowing down is beyond me.  Sure Keith looks like he has some miles on him, but his guitar playing was right on and his style is all his. From what I heard of the new album that night,  I am definitely going to pick it up. Some great straight forward raw rock kind of like the Exile period and some get down gritty blues. The sound was amazingly clear and REAL loud. I loved it. The real surprise was when the middle of the stage broke away from the main stage and came clear out to about second base from center field. It more than cut in half the distance we were away from them and we could actually see them pretty good from there. The whole band was real tight including the horn section and back-up singers. The second half of the show was just one hit after another with the encore being "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "It's Only Rock And Roll". We only heard about the last three songs by Maroon 5 who opened the show, and from what I heard, I'm glad we missed the rest of their set. BORING!  Saw a guy there in an old Romantics T-shirt and told him his shirt was real cool. He was a young guy maybe 23 or 4 and was pretty knowledgeable about the Romantics music. Talked to him for several minutes before we went to our seats. I told him that I grew up with Wally in Hamtramck in the 60s but he was more impressed when my wife told him that Rich is her brother. Told him it was nice talking to him and he seemed to be a pretty cool guy. Will look for him at the next Romantics show because he said he would love to meet the guys. Anyway, the Stones were great and I would check them out for sure if they come to your town and if the price of tickets isn't a problem. To be honest, I probably would not have gone if I didn't win the tickets because my seats were priced at 160 bucks each. Glad I got lucky and had the chance to check it out. They rocked!

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 10:25pm

Quote:
Went to see the Stones on Wednesday. Simply awesome. These guys can still rock the socks off of anyone out there. Jagger is amazing. His voice is still top notch, and how a 62 year old guy can keep moving and dancing for 2 hours without slowing down is beyond me.  Sure Keith looks like he has some miles on him, but his guitar playing was right on and his style is all his. From what I heard of the new album that night,  I am definitely going to pick it up. Some great straight forward raw rock kind of like the Exile period and some get down gritty blues.

I just heard the new CD, A Bigger Bang.  As I am not a huge Stones fan I was hesitant, but your Blues comment made me curious about it.  I think it is amazing! It was loaded with double-entendres and raunchy,dirty talk ('I was your rooster, but now I'm just one of your c***s' - "Rough Justice") . I wouldn't have expected a 62-year-old to write amazing lyrics, but all lyrics are in total compliance with the music. The slow tracks like Streets Of Love and Laugh I Nearly Died have more meaningful lyrics compared to the rock songs.
There is a lot of diversity contained in this CD. Not only rock and roll, but  blues numbers (Back Of My Hand) ,dance numbers (Rain Fall Down) and ballads (This Place Is Empty). 
I love the fact that in this album there are so many tracks!  I think it makes it more appealing to everyone!
I am a revived Stones Fan now!

http://www.detnews.com/2005/cdreviews/0509/08/cd-307027.htm

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/_/id/7590942/therollingstones?pageid=rs.Artistcage&rnd=1126453489046&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.857

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #55 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 3:00am

solodka, How hard is it to get tickets the the VMAs? Were they a lot of money?

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 3:53am

It's hard for me to answer that question.  I'm a girl!  I didn't have to pay! 
Seriously, I don't know.  I heard that they were hard to come by.  There were a lot of vacant seats.  I guess due to Hurricane Katrina.  I would imagine, where there is a will, there is a way!   Smiley

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 5:05am

Got to see Hard Place last night with Pas/Cal in Detroit at the Magic Stick.

It was fun! Smiley 

I didn't actually hear the 2nd band play because I was talking to the guys from Hard Place...

But... I scored another T-Shirt to my collection Smiley

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 10:42pm

OK, if we see any hurricane evacuees on the news with "Hard Place" t-shirts, we'll know..........

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #59 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 2:09am

this saturday i am going to see alkaline trio and my chemical romance.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 4:43am

As you know, Alkaline Trio is one of my favorites!  Give us a full report!  Let us know if the drummer still rocks!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 6:29am

Quote:
OK, if we see any hurricane evacuees on the news with "Hard Place" t-shirts, we'll know..........

You won't be seeing any hurricane evacuees with that t-shirt... It's too cool.... Smiley

The drummer, Tom Marzella, told me that in high school, Mike Skill used to take his band "The Slicks" around to see concerts in the area.  2 of the band members (Dan Miller & Jim Currie) went on to become a part of "Goober & the Peas". I can't remember, but I think Tom told met that Jim took lessons with Mike. Smiley

I just took a look at the Goober & the Peas website...
http://gooberandthepeas.net/index2.htm

If you get a chance, watch the video "Hot Women (Cold Beer)"  I think I see where the Romantics got inspiration for their Red and Black poster (with the silhouettes)... :-D

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 10:36am

Dan Miller is with a group called Blanche.

http://www.theblanchemanual.com/The%20Blanche%20Family.html

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #63 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 6:05pm

brew, how can i give you an unbiased report on the drummer?
he and my son are good friends!
he used to live in my house!
but i will try to be fair with my report 8)

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 10:13pm

I knew they were friends, but I didn't know he lived in your house!  It's always good to have a drummer in the basement, banging away at all hours.  I expect nothing less than a glowing review--I've seen the kid play and I was knocked out.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #65 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 5:46pm

Brew, you are hilarious!!
He and my son rented my house from me.  I had moved elsewhere!
I will pass along your compliments to him though.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 9:20pm

Oh, and Jack White used to play with Goober and the Peas! Smiley

Solodka, I already had the link on Blanche-- may have to check them out sometime.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #67 -

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 11:52pm

Well, Bookies, how was "the Trio"?

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #69 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 5:39pm

alkaline trio is an unearthed group of talented guys.  especially the drummer!  seriously though, he is one of the best i have ever seen.
they had a few glitches in their sound and had a shortened set but they sounded great! (if you like that type of music)
the crowd was obviously there to see my chemical romance so trio got a lukewarm reception which was unfortunate because they blew "romance" away.  as it turned out, my chemical romance were headlining so they were really showcased.  all in all though, it was a great night and i had a blast!

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #70 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 7:26am

Was the Trio still all devil worshipy? I really dig their old stuff(espically the song 'Radio') but their whole new(well not quite new but still) Satan worshiping deal has turned me off of them.

My Chemical Romance, while an OK band, sucks live. I saw them at Warped Tour and it sounds like a mass of sound not music.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #71 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 6:22pm

andrew, i had to defer to my son on this one since he and the drummer are buddies.
here is his response:

"the trio is not devil worship-y at all.  they just use a lot of images like crosses and skeletons, etc.  they're not the first band to do it.  the misfits used skulls and skeletons in the late 70's and early 80's and no one ever called them devil worshippers.  i'd call it more of a horror image, than anything.but i do agree that my chemical romance is not good live."

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Sep 21st, 2005 at 9:50pm

I haven't seen any devil-worshipy stuff from the Trio.  That would turn me off, too.  They do have alot of death related themes, and cross and blood and horror  imagery, but I don't see any satanic stuff.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #73 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 4:32am

But the guitar player is a card carrying member of the Church of Satan and wanted the last CD to be called Church and Destroy. I'm just not a big fan of the whole Satan thing... I dunno I still say I prefer old school 'Trio.

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #74 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 6:46am

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #75 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 9:44pm

I wonder if LMK has seen Billy Idol recently???

She must be busy-- haven't seen her around the board in a while!

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #76 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 6:35am

Lots of FL concerts for Billy Idol!
Thu, Oct 27 Jacksonville, FL Florida Theatre

Fri, Oct 28 Fort Meyers, FL Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Center

Wed, Nov 2 Melbourne, FL King Center

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #77 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 5:57pm

sure wish there was an abundance of Romantics concerts to announce! Wink

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #78 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 10:24pm

Went last night to The Ark in Ann Arbor to see Michael Penn. What a fantastic talent this guy is. One of the best singer songwriters around. His new album "Mr Hollywood Jr" is a masterpeice in my opinion. The whole album is a story about the time period in the late 40s just after World War 2. What I still can't believe is that he played such a small venue and that it wasn't even sold out!. This is Michael Penn, a major league star and talent. He was just on the Leno show a couple of weeks ago promoting the new album. While the album has a full band, he performed at the Ark with just an acoustic guitar and a piano player. The songs still sounded great. I had never been to the Ark before and we got there early to try and get a good seat, thinking that the line would be around the block. The Ark is a small room with great sound. The stage is elevated only a couple of feet off the ground. We sat right next to the front of the stage, maybe 6 feet away from him. Does anyone here remember the song from his first album that got a lot of airplay called "No Myth"?. Mr. Hollywood Jr. is his 5th album and they have all been great, similar in my opinion to someone like Neil Finn. Michael Penn hung around after the show and answered questions and signed autographs. Very cool. I mentioned to him that I was shocked that it was not a sellout and like he told me, radio sucks and he just isn't getting much airplay so he wasn't surprised by the small crowd.  If anyone is a fan of great pop songs with terrific hooks and melodies, then go pick up Mr Hollywood Jr. right away. You won't be dissapointed.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 11:25pm

I have his first album with "No Myth".  It's a great album, but I haven't heard anything from him since.  Does his other stuff, especially the new one, sound similar to that first album?  If so, I'll have to check it out for sure.

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #80 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 4:03am

Absolutley. If you like the first album, you will like the other 4, especially the new one. We have all five of his albums and they get regular play at my house.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.