Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
And the Oscar Goes To......... (Read 1602 times)
bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

And the Oscar Goes To.........
Feb 27th, 2005 at 11:28pm

anybody care?

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Re: And the Oscar Goes To.........
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 11:10am

I am guessing by the response, not really  Grin  Does anyone actually watch the Oscars?

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 6:30pm

i am just glad hilary swank won.  as she said so eloquently, not bad for "a girl from a trailer park with a dream"

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:36pm

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SOOOO glad that Jamie Foxx won for his portrayal of Ray Charles!!!! He did a phenomenal job-- including his learning to play the piano in Ray's style..... I would have been so disappointed if he hadn't won....

But, on the other hand, I think it was pretty rude of the orchestra to cut in on the winners' speeches (Chris Rock nailed it on the head when he said that maybe next year it was going to be a drive-through Oscar night...!)

With all of those "Stay tuned, we'll be right back" plugs-- they could have deleted them and allowed the winners to finish up their little speeches-- especially since they were not ranting and raving for hours on end!

(I felt especially sorry for the guy who was freaked out by the "27 seconds left, 26...25... etc.)  I mean, really-- some of the winners are never publicly acknowledged for all of the great work they've done for the movies-- can't the Academy at least give them a little more time to enjoy the moment?

Also, I hated how some people didn't even get to go onstage to get their awards!

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 2:43am

I think the Academny Global Whatever award show they decide to show every Sunday night this time of the year is a excuse the media greedy Hollywood folks get to 'be themselfs' in front of the world. I mean I was talking to a few people about this... how many people actually see or care about the movies involved? Ironic that they could sell zero tickets at the box office but if there is big names in it, it gets nominated? I mean everyone I know, my age and adults have been talking about Cheaper By the Dozen(when that was out) or Sharktail or Ocean's 12 or Meet The Folkers, yet the award shows are filled with movie that I never even heard of!

Sorry for the rant, and I dont mean to offend anyone, I just see the whole award show things as an excuse for the rich and famous to party in front of the world.

And like someone mentioned the whole speech thing... I didn't watch but heard on the radio... ironic that the big name stars get all the time in the world, but the guy who won for best writing or something(come on thats important!) they were flashing a countdown in front of him! Yes this is coming from a writer, but I think the screenplay guy is more important than some second to the second support actor even if a big star plays that role.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 12:57pm

Actually, this year wasn't a really big year for the box office...

Anyways, just 'cuz something makes loads of money doesn't necessarily mean it's good...

Just think, if you translate that to music--The Romantics didn't have a huge, multi-platinum album in 61/49, but still won an award at the Motor City Music Awards....

I'm actually wanting to go see some of the Oscar nominated films...

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind was a bit bizarre--but if you've ever seen "Being John Malkovich", I think it was eithe written or directed by the same guy...  Funny thing-- I didn't even know that before seeing the movied, but that's the vibe I got (and for once, I was right!) Surprisingly, I really liked this movie, even though I usually can't stand Jim Carey (he gets way to over-the-top in oblnoxious silliness sometimes.

I have also heard good things about The Aviator, Million Dollar Baby and Finding Neverland.... I haven't yet seen them, but will soon!

And, of course, I loved "Ray", and am glad that Jamie Foxx got a nod by the Academy...If you haven't seen it, you definitely need to set aside time to go see it!  To me, he really got Ray's spirit in all ways and shapes (and according to the "making the movie" bonus video, he even went as far as to have prosthetics put on his eyes, so that he could truly understand Ray's situation with his blindness....

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 10:41pm

I never said the more money movies are better... I was simply trying to hit the point that the movies people seem to care about I guess. They even did something on TV where they randomly asked people if they saw the movies that won, none of them saw any of them but they were like "Well I saw Meet The Focker(etc.)."

I'm sure some of the movies are good don't get me wrong, but it seems like not alot of people care about the movies until their or nominated or win.  Kinda like the whole MTV deal, a band could suck... MTV picks up the video instantly the band is the hottest thing around.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 12:08pm

I guess I think about it this way.

Some movies I go to see because of their "artistic" value... Others I go to see because I want a no-brainer--something to be exciting or to make me laugh. (I don't like Horror movies, so I just avoid them...I guess I'm just a big chicken... hence my icon... LOL)

Take, for instance: Meet the Fockers, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle (which was pretty funny, even though it didn't make it big at the box office.)  I would never nominate these movies for their "artistic interpretation", because that isn't the point of those movies...

Other movies like: Ray, Pollock, Frida... those I go purely to see the artistic interpretation of the actors and actresses... Smiley  And for their content.  Those are the types of movies I like to see when I want something a little more "intellectual".

Of course, the LOTR movies or Titanic, etc. are interesting in their technical achievements and attention to detail in costuming, cinematography, etc... These are the types of movies that blend artistic direction with interesting stories and visual wonders... Smiley  They just stand on their own because of some of their innovations and advancements in movie making... Smiley

You know... if history was taught through the big screen vs. boring teachers and dull textbooks, I think more people would be excited about learning their history... Smiley

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 5:38pm

did anybody else catch the hilary swank interview last night on 60 minutes?  she is adorable and so down to earth.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 5:53pm

i finally went to see million dollar baby.  i thought hilary swank and morgan freeman both did oscar deserving performances but the movie as a whole? not sure it was deserving of best picture.  nothing close to the calibur of the godfather.

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 5:27pm

glad to see "crash" taking best picture last night!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 5:30pm

That was the one that I voted for!  It's the only one that I saw!  Did anyone see anything else that was nominated?

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:06pm

Uhhhh......was "Wedding Crashers" nominated?

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

Rob

Don't you put me on hold!

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 9:29pm

We saw Walk the Line, and thought it was a great movie. Even bought the collectors edition DVd that came out this week. Thought Joaquin Phoenix did an incredible job portraying Johnny Cash, to the point you thought he was Johnny Cash. And, I have a huge crush on Reese Witherspoon. Smiley She did a great job also, and highly deserved the best actress award. If you haven't seen the movie, rent it!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 11:15pm

Hoping to go see Walk the Line this coming week...

By the way, Dan Miller (who I think plays his lead guitarist) graduated from my high school and played in a band called "The Slicks" back in 1981-2... One of their band members took lessons from Mike Skill... They covered "What I Like About You" and were the reason why I am a huge Romantics fan to this day... Smiley

Dan was also in "Goober and the Peas" and is now in another band called "Blanche".  Wink

Just thought I'd put out a little info.  That means that I was only 2 degrees of separation from The Romantics until I met the guys in 1999! Smiley

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.