Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
current musical descendants of the Romantics (Read 1503 times)
Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

current musical descendants of the Romantics
Feb 27th, 2005 at 10:01am

I haven't read or heard too many interviews with current bands claiming the Romantics as a musical influence, but do any of you think that some current bands like the Vines and especially the Hives are musical descendants of the Romantics?  These bands were hailed as part of a "new garage rock" movement a few years ago, and in their hits, I heard an echo of the power pop that the Romantics had been known for in the 1980s (updated, of course).  The Hives have even followed the Romantics' (and the old British Invasion's) footsteps of band members wearing matching suits on stage, and their big 2002 hit "I Hate To Say I Told You So" sounds almost like it could have been the "What I Like About You" of its generation.

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: current musical descendants of the Romantics
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 12:25pm

The one teen group Lillix covered "What I Like About You." I don't know that much about them, but I do know they owe their mainstream sucess to that song(it was their single...  and I saw them perform it on TV several times). Their cover was also used as the theme song to the show with the same name on the WB.

I don't know if any bands out their are influenced by the Romantics directly, but bands like Sugarcult have some songs that sound somewhat 'Romanticish.'

I take that back... the band the Suicide Machines from Detroit. While their sound is ska-punk, they also cover "What I Like..." and their cover sounds pretty darn nice. Their guitarist plays a Rickenbacker guitar too. Being from Detroit and covering that song I'm sure they know more about the Romantics than just "What I Like.."

New stuff by Green Day('Whatshername" off of 'American Idiot' and Goldfinger(listen to the song "Tell Me" off of 'Open your Eyes').

Third Eye Blind. Listen to their big hit - Semi-Charmed Life. Very 'Romanticish' just with a 90s pop favor spread on it. Ditto for several other of their songs.

The band Silvertide. Listen to their song "Aint Commin' Home". You can hear it on their website: http://www.silvertidemusic.com/host.htm (Great song, Great band!). It has that semi-clean, semi-dirty guitar sound... and if it reminds you "What I Like About You" well it will... the main chords are played just like "What I Like"(same order too). The bridge has the same chords(same order again) as "What I Like" and again the song features that clean/dirty guitar sound.  Alot of their other songs(great great great CD, everyone should buy it! There are previews of several songs on their site.).

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 8:31pm

I'm going to check out Silvertide for sure. Thanks, Andrew! Also, you're right about Suicide Machines. They performed "What I Like" and a couple other Romantics songs (including "Girl Next Door"!) at the '99 Detroit Music Awards in tribute to the guys; Wally played the harmonica solo and I saw he and the lead vocalist chatting after the show. I saw the Machines live a couple years later and before they played "What I Like" for the skate punks, the lead vocalist said, "Anybody here ever heard of a Detroit band called the Romantics?" Receiving a less than enthusiastic response, he said, "Well, this is a song by the Romantics, and you should check 'em out, 'cause they f***ing rock!" And I think I've reported this before on this site -- during an interview with Jello Biafra many years ago, he told Green Day the band they most remind him of was the Romantics. To which they said, "Beer commercial rock??" Hmmm ...

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:18pm

Not really a musical descendent...

But have you noticed how many times they play What I like About you these days?

Recently, I've heard it on a commercial for "Finding Nemo" ice skating show, as well as a commercial (can't remember for what) where it's a cover version (I'm guessing maybe Lillix?) by a female group.....

I also was in K-Mart and they had an "American Idol" Barbie Doll who "sang" WILAY.... Too crazy.....

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 11:33pm

Kevin thats intresting about the Suicide Machines, I didn't know they had that much respect for the Romantics.. thats cool! If anyone is intrested, when  the Suicide Machines arn't out on Warped Tour or something like that they play the Detroit area alot - Clutch Cargos, Blind Pig, and Machine Shop host them several times a year(in fact they are at the the Blind Pig this week and the Machine Shop later this month).

Bowling for Soup, while much more R-rated then the Romantics, have a similar vibe when you break their songs down.

The Living End (http://www.thelivingend.com/) - a GREAT punk/rock-a-billy band are an aussie version of the Romantics in my opinion. Everyone should check them out(they rock hard in concert!). Some songs to listen to are Roll On, What Would You Do, Prisoner of Society, and Whos Gonna to Save Us. Listen to thoses(espically What Would You Do.. sound clips are on their website) and you will see what I mean about being an aussie version!

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 3:50am

I have to tell you guys (and I may very well be LATE, as I just go the CD).........but, I bought the 'Jet' CD, and popped it in my car while I was cruisin' around. 

OH MY GOD....................sounds so much like the Romantics, it's crazy.  Even has Coz's guitar sound......

l really like them...............of course I do, they sound like The Romantics!

Lori

IP Logged

COZFAN
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 8:15pm

I think 'Jet' sounds nothing like the Romantics, more beatles, I will listen again, to see what you are hearing, Cozfan

IP Logged

BrillBaby

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 8:37pm

Somewhat related to this topic, I just came across an interesting review of an Ashlee Simpson concert in the Chicago Sun Times today.  Scroll down to the bit about the Click Five, who opened for Ashlee; there's a flattering reference to the Romantics...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/derogatis/cst-ftr-ashlee08.html

What should be noted is that this piece is written by none other than Chicago's notorious music snob/critic, Jim DeRogatis.   As much as anyone would automatically have to agree with his assessment of Ashlee, Jim's predilection is to completely rip apart just about anything that crosses his path - especially if it's concerning an artist that more than 50 people in the U.S. have actually heard of.

And who said the Romantics aren't to be taken seriously?

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 8:57pm

Thanks BrillBaby, that was a pretty cool reference.  It reminds me of the famous "You're no JFK" slam on Dan Quayle.

As for Jet, although I hear a lot of influences, the band they most sound like to me is The Who.

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 10:32pm

Guys & Gals .  . . listen to Track 5..........................(I think, it's in my car).  Gosh, it has a "What I Like About You" sound, to me.

Lori

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 11:44pm

I agree, Jet is all over the board. That one slow song that's being played now is just a rewrite of the Beatles' "Sexy Sadie." But I do agree that Jet plays with the same kind of youthful enthusiasm the Romantics have long exuded -- you can tell they just love to play their music.

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2005 at 4:46am

So................why is it then that Jet is being played all over the airwaves, and most people think that The Romantics were 'just' an 80's hair band.  The music, the feel, the vibe.......is very, very similar. 

Not fair!

Lori

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2005 at 11:55pm

mymeka.....i would think if the romantics were active in the 90s they just wouldnt be a 80s band......the 61/49 album is no doubt a great one and didnt get the full attention from radio stations across the usa.....but if they stay active they can be know for more then a 80s band.

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 7:14am

To me Jet is today's version of AC/DC... not a bad thing, but they sound exactly like AC/DC in my opinion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.