Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does power pop have an undeserved bad rep? (Read 358 times)
Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Does power pop have an undeserved bad rep?
Feb 27th, 2005 at 8:37am

Despite being one of the greatest active rock bands on Earth, the Romantics have seldom gotten much respect from music critics or so-called "serious' music fans (at least until 61/49, which has made a number of new converts).  The Romantics are not alone:  such contemporaries as the Knack and Cheap Trick are often sneered upon despite being excellent rock 'n roll musicians.  Why is there an inherent bias against power pop?

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Does power pop have an undeserved bad rep?
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 9:28am

Cause they have a head? I mean think about it... power-pop bands *usually* arn't the bands that half way through a set have to stop because one guy is to stoned. Motley Crew just sold out the arena here in Detroit, they haven't had THAT many hits yet all the guys are in the news, hurting people, drinking, and other newsworthy stuff. In a nation where people buy the all those stupid gossip magazines, if a band doesn't live up to the gossip world those people find them "boring." I mean at power-pop shows you won't find riots and such. The so called "critics" would get crap from their editors if their stories/reviews were boring, so of course the reviewers try to dig for those swear words, stupid lyrics, etc. and most of the time those are no where to be found in power-pop.

That make any sense? Hopefully...!

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Re: Does power pop have an undeserved bad rep?
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 10:56am

Agree with you 100% Andrew.  Tis the society we live in.  If there isn't a story to go with it toss it to the side.  Sad ,very sad as there is so much good stuff out there that is ignored.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.