Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cover art for WILAY (AORH) (Read 619 times)
Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Cover art for WILAY (AORH)
Feb 25th, 2005 at 12:44pm

I'm curious about the cartoony cover art for the Romantics' first greatest hits collection, WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU (AND OTHER  ROMANTIC HITS).  It's a cool cover and I like it, but it doesn't scream "Romantics" to me (when I first bought the CD, I had to check the track list on the back to make sure I was buying the right record).  What's the story behind the cover?  Who drew it?

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Cover art for WILAY (AORH)
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 9:14pm

The Romantics played here in Louisville right around the time that came out, and I asked the same thing. Coz's response was "Somebody's 4-year-old drew that." Wally said that not only did the band not have any say as to what the packaging looked like, they didn't even get a say in what songs went on the album. If you notice, "One in a Million" is the album version -- CBS didn't even bother to get the master of the remixed single version. My guess is that all had to do with the former managers whose names shall not be spoken.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 12:05am

I'm wondering if the artwork on that CD was supposed to attract more women to the band?!  Personally, if I had never heard of the Romantics, I wouldn't have even picked up that CD because of the cover--it's more reminiscent of something on some kind of soft-pop rock than their personalities...

Luckily, I was a fan long before that CD came out! Smiley (I also had all of the LPs long before it came out... so I didn't actually get the CD until a few years ago...

IP Logged

Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 2:50am

Quote:
I'm wondering if the artwork on that CD was supposed to attract more women to the band?!

Hmmm.  If that were the intent, then maybe they should have just used a cover with beefcake photos of the band.  Heh!  I'm a straight male, but I'm guessing that many women found the young Romantics of the 1980s highly sexy and attractive.

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 10:00pm

You betcha!   Wink

Lori

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:30pm

That's why I said I would have never picked up that CD if I wasn't already into the band (too "girly-girl" and not enough "rock & roll" for my taste... Wink  (Coz probably hit it on the nose... LOL )

As for whether or not the guys would have been highly sexy & attractive, my answer would be-- "Absolutely!!!".
(There's something about the tight leather suits....)

--Iris

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 12:40am

I believe the "Mop Top's" on the cover are similiar to the "Mop Top's" on the cover of the Midwest Explosion Romantics and Friends Bomp release...Can anyone confirm this? I am too lazy to go dig the album out of the box in the attic.  I always thought the cover art on WILAY (AORH) was suposed to sort of have a 1960's feel to it, and the open door was an ode to the song Open up Your Door.  Maybe I am way off base?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.