Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Jimmy's Drums on eBay? (Read 4762 times)
Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Jimmy's Drums on eBay?
Feb 22nd, 2005 at 2:04am

Anybody got a spare $9,500? If so, you can have what is being identified as a set of drums Jimmy used on the Strictly Personal tour ... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29937&item=3875970559&rd=1

IP Logged

dennis
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Jimmy's Drums on eBay?
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 7:38am

They may be authentic, but without the Romantics logo and/or Jimmy's signiture plastered on them they are worthless to me.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 5:29pm

did anyone check out what other items the seller has?
this person looks like they specialize in rare coins.  my question would be:  where exactly did the drums come from.

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 2:07pm

My question is...
Why did they more than DOUBLE in price?
Try 20K Starting bid.
WTF?

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 4:28pm

OMG....what is up with that?  Let's see....I'm not getting any bids, so I will double the price........ Undecided  Did you notice that he kept referring to the "IN THE PINK" album?

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 6:07pm

is anybody going to send the seller an email and ask any of our burning questions?

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 9:46pm

If I send him an e-mail, it will be to tell him he's an idiot. (Sorry, that wasn't nice was it?)  Wink

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 11:56pm

Al-righty then... This guy's got to be part Moron...

Sure, all Romantics Fans have a spare $20,000 to spend on a drum set that we can't verify was truly owned by Jimmy....

I think I'll sell my car and not eat for a year...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 7:33am

Someone asked the one question(its posted on the item's page):

Q: I have been watching your listing. Why did the starting price more than double...from $9000 to $20,000? Answered on Feb-25-05
   A: I am listing this for a friend. He is an artist and also a musician. He spoke to Marinos Wed night. He told me that collectors drums were going for more money and that a rock and roll museum wanted this drum set a few years back. He then asked me to change the minimum starting bid to $20,000 from $9,000. I do not know what Marinos and my friend talked about but he mentioned another collector drum set from a 1930s band that went for $50,000 recently. I know nothing about musical instruments or musical collectables, I am just listing this for a friend. Thanks for asking.

IP Logged

Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 10:24am

Probably the only person who could identify this drum kit for certain is Jimmy Marinos himself.  Anybody have Jimmy's e-mail addy?  Smiley

IP Logged

Timster2
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 8:03pm

Considering that Jimmy always played a set with an oversized bass drum (much bigger than 26") on tours before "Strictly Personal" and after, I am rather doubtful that these are his drums.  I don't think Jimmy's drums would be considered that valuable either (museum artifact?), except to fans.  Nothing against Jimmy, but he's not exactly a household name.  That's almost as idiotic as saying the drummer from Air Supply wants $20 K for his "collector" set. 

Heck, when Coz sold the Rickenbacker guitar he used on tour in the mid '80s via e-bay a year or two ago, the price was within reason on the guitar market and not inflated to four times the going rate.

Since the seller doesn't even have the name of the album right, I'm very suspicious about the authenticity of the drums, but that's just me.

You got me bothered, You got me hot, I'm Hot & Bothered - I want what you got!

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 9:23pm

But on the other hand, if you were going to try and fraudulently sell a drum set by claiming it belonged to a particular drummer, why would you pick someone most people have not heard of?  That wouldn't make sense.

IP Logged

Timster2
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 2:13am

That's a good point Rob.  Maybe the seller just knew the Romantics wore pink at one time in their career and thought it sounded plausible, hence his not knowing the correct album title.  Ludwig could've made that drum kit for anyone who wanted it which might explain it's standard sized drums.  Ludwig might have info for the serial numbers on the drums which would provide definitive proof.

Speaking as a drummer, if you have a preferred set up ( i.e. arrangement and/or size of drums) you stick with it.  I can't imagine that Jimmy would downsize his kit  seeing as how his "regular" kit was already so unique and specially ordered to his personal tastes.

Now if Jimmy's zebra striped "In Heat" drum kit was up for auction, I could see that being a sought after item for it's unique appearance and size.  Someone might even be willing to pay $20 K for that.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:26pm

I wonder if oldfriend might have any insight on this? I think he's in touch with Jimmy....

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 5:36pm

the drums are relisted.  no bids the first time around.  they start again at 20k.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 7:32am

Sounds like someone who really doesn't want to sell those drums...

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 8:01am

"Thier value as a musical instrument is minimal compared to their historic value. "

I love the Romantics, but do the drums really have that much a part in history? I guess a drum set with the band's logo, perhaps a set you could see in the pictures/videos on the band would have some historic value. If I was a drummer, and was looking for a drum set, I might pay a few hundred dollrars more for that set, but thousands of dollars more? No way!

Could it be this drum set? http://www.romanticsdetroit.com/music/king-biscuit.html

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 6:24pm

i put a word out to a close friend of jimmy's.  hopefully he will get back to me with the truth on these.
for now though, i would keep my 20k in my pocket! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 8:57pm

for $20,000, we could attend a lot of Romantics Concerts! Smiley

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 2:41am

Or better yet... we could maybe hire the Romantics to play a gig for that price!  Smiley

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 9:26pm

they dropped the price back to 10k!

IP Logged

Timster2
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 10:58pm

Still priced about $9500 too high!

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 5:30pm

ok here are the facts about those drums:

• Jimmy gave that guy those drums 20 yrs. ago for him painting a car for him.

• Jimmy did not use them in Australia or Japan either only for a few months after the third album.

• This guy called Jimmy and offered to sell them back to him.

• Jimmy doesn't want them or could care less about them, he said they are worth at the most $1200.

IP Logged

Timster2
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 5:40am

Thanks for the info Bookies.  It'll be interesting to see if the price falls any further.

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #24 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 12:03am

i agree with dennis.....they would have to have the official romantics logo to raise my eye brows to purchase them.......if i had the dinero to purchase a set of romantics drums i wouldnt hesitate.

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Mar 12th, 2005 at 3:32am

The guy probably shot himself in the foot by trying to sell the drums for way too much money. 

If he knew anything about auctions he would have started the bidding at a lower price and then had a "reserve price (which I don't think is usually listed)--just to get an idea as to what someone MIGHT pay for  Jimmy's drums.... 

But, now that we all know how much money he wants, it makes him look very suspicious...

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #26 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 10:31pm

just bumping this one back up for solodka to catch up!
i believe these are the same drums.

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Reply #27 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 11:07pm

WOW~ So, this guy has been selling these for quite some time now!  At least he got a bit smarter and lowered the starting bid to $10,000.  I guess he still didn't get that!  Maybe he should try and get them signed!
Grin

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 9:16pm

No kidding,
How can anyone be sure that these are even Jimmy's... can't believe this guy is at it again!

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 11:51pm

They probably are really Jimmy's old drums.  But that guy's gonna be listing those for a long time if he thinks he's gonna get TEN LARGE for 'em.

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 3:54am

Quote:
Someone asked the one question(its posted on the item's page):

I do not know what Marinos and my friend talked about but he mentioned another collector drum set from a 1930s band that went for $50,000 recently.

I wonder whose drums went for $50,000?!!!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 8:21pm

the 1930s vs. the 1980s is one heck of a difference in time...

Something from the 30s would be considered antique....

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Sep 20th, 2005 at 9:06pm

Isn't anything over 25 years old to be considered an antique? Or is that a classic?  Or is that just for cars?!  Maybe he should wait a few years and then try and sell it!

As for music, did you know this about how music is considered a classic?

*  When was it recorded? If it was within the past 10-15 years, it hasn?t been around long enough to be considered classic, no matter how big a hit it was or who recorded it. On the other hand, the mere fact that it was recorded 30 years ago doesn?t automatically mean it?s considered classic.

* How big a hit was it? It may have been a personal favorite of yours, but in order to qualify as classic, it has to have been the personal favorite of a few million of your closest friends, too.

* Who recorded it? This will no doubt be a factor in how big a hit it was, but if only one or two songs from a particular album were widely accepted, it isn?t likely the artist or group falls into the classic category.

* Can you still hear it on the radio? Purple People Eater may have been a huge hit in 1958, but you won't hear it on a classic rock station today. As with automobiles, there is a big difference between classic and antique.

IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #33 - Aug 5th, 2006 at 12:02am

The drums are back on eBay.  The price is down to $4500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ludwig-Custom-Drum-Set-Of-Romantics-1980s-Tour-UNIQUE_W0QQit...
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2006 at 1:11pm by solodka »  

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #34 - Aug 5th, 2006 at 2:07am

Now THAT is funny!

I wonder if that person will get the money for the drums. I want to play drums and pink would be great, but I don't have that kind of cash lying around!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #35 - Aug 5th, 2006 at 2:09am

I'm going to do a little snooping around this weekend and see if I can find out the authenticity of this guy's claim....

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #36 - Aug 5th, 2006 at 1:12pm

I can tell you that you don't need to do a little snooping.  They are for real!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #37 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 5:02am

I asked a reliable source who knows Jimmy well and he looked at me like I was crazy when I told him about the Ebay drum set.
He said that he did not think that the drums were authentic and that to his best recollection, Jimmy's drums had flames on the side of them.

Of course, I never saw the band during that period of time....so I don't recall what they looked like! Smiley

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #38 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 10:11am

Like I said before, they are for real.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #39 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 9:50pm

If Solodka says with certainty that they are real, I believe it. 

(I saw the Romantics MANY times during the '80's with Jimmy drumming, and I NEVER saw flames on his drums.)

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #40 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 12:47am

Well, at least that's what I was told!  I'm only as good as my sources!!!!!!! Wink

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #41 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 12:47pm

Your source is definitely different from mine... My source seemed to indicate that he didn't think that those were the right ones....
But then again....

Either way, I certainly don't have the $$$ to buy Jimmy's drums. Even though Pink would suit ME fine! Wink

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.