Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Jimmy's Drums on eBay? (Read 4779 times)
Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Jimmy's Drums on eBay?
Feb 22nd, 2005 at 2:04am

Anybody got a spare $9,500? If so, you can have what is being identified as a set of drums Jimmy used on the Strictly Personal tour ... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29937&item=3875970559&rd=1

IP Logged

dennis
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Jimmy's Drums on eBay?
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 7:38am

They may be authentic, but without the Romantics logo and/or Jimmy's signiture plastered on them they are worthless to me.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 5:29pm

did anyone check out what other items the seller has?
this person looks like they specialize in rare coins.  my question would be:  where exactly did the drums come from.

IP Logged

Boris
Ex Member

"Let's Go To Work!"

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 2:07pm

My question is...
Why did they more than DOUBLE in price?
Try 20K Starting bid.
WTF?

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 4:28pm

OMG....what is up with that?  Let's see....I'm not getting any bids, so I will double the price........ Undecided  Did you notice that he kept referring to the "IN THE PINK" album?

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 6:07pm

is anybody going to send the seller an email and ask any of our burning questions?

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 9:46pm

If I send him an e-mail, it will be to tell him he's an idiot. (Sorry, that wasn't nice was it?)  Wink

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 11:56pm

Al-righty then... This guy's got to be part Moron...

Sure, all Romantics Fans have a spare $20,000 to spend on a drum set that we can't verify was truly owned by Jimmy....

I think I'll sell my car and not eat for a year...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Andrew
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 7:33am

Someone asked the one question(its posted on the item's page):

Q: I have been watching your listing. Why did the starting price more than double...from $9000 to $20,000? Answered on Feb-25-05
   A: I am listing this for a friend. He is an artist and also a musician. He spoke to Marinos Wed night. He told me that collectors drums were going for more money and that a rock and roll museum wanted this drum set a few years back. He then asked me to change the minimum starting bid to $20,000 from $9,000. I do not know what Marinos and my friend talked about but he mentioned another collector drum set from a 1930s band that went for $50,000 recently. I know nothing about musical instruments or musical collectables, I am just listing this for a friend. Thanks for asking.

IP Logged

Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 10:24am

Probably the only person who could identify this drum kit for certain is Jimmy Marinos himself.  Anybody have Jimmy's e-mail addy?  Smiley

IP Logged

Timster2
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 8:03pm

Considering that Jimmy always played a set with an oversized bass drum (much bigger than 26") on tours before "Strictly Personal" and after, I am rather doubtful that these are his drums.  I don't think Jimmy's drums would be considered that valuable either (museum artifact?), except to fans.  Nothing against Jimmy, but he's not exactly a household name.  That's almost as idiotic as saying the drummer from Air Supply wants $20 K for his "collector" set. 

Heck, when Coz sold the Rickenbacker guitar he used on tour in the mid '80s via e-bay a year or two ago, the price was within reason on the guitar market and not inflated to four times the going rate.

Since the seller doesn't even have the name of the album right, I'm very suspicious about the authenticity of the drums, but that's just me.

You got me bothered, You got me hot, I'm Hot & Bothered - I want what you got!

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 9:23pm

But on the other hand, if you were going to try and fraudulently sell a drum set by claiming it belonged to a particular drummer, why would you pick someone most people have not heard of?  That wouldn't make sense.

IP Logged

Timster2
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 2:13am

That's a good point Rob.  Maybe the seller just knew the Romantics wore pink at one time in their career and thought it sounded plausible, hence his not knowing the correct album title.  Ludwig could've made that drum kit for anyone who wanted it which might explain it's standard sized drums.  Ludwig might have info for the serial numbers on the drums which would provide definitive proof.

Speaking as a drummer, if you have a preferred set up ( i.e. arrangement and/or size of drums) you stick with it.  I can't imagine that Jimmy would downsize his kit  seeing as how his "regular" kit was already so unique and specially ordered to his personal tastes.

Now if Jimmy's zebra striped "In Heat" drum kit was up for auction, I could see that being a sought after item for it's unique appearance and size.  Someone might even be willing to pay $20 K for that.

You got me bothered, You got me hot, I'm Hot & Bothered - I want what you got!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:26pm

I wonder if oldfriend might have any insight on this? I think he's in touch with Jimmy....

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 5:36pm

the drums are relisted.  no bids the first time around.  they start again at 20k.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.