For all you vinyl collectors, this one's probably pretty rare:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4711045446&rd=1

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: ROMANTICS ON EBAY
Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 3:41am

If you have "Meet The Romantics", then you have those two recordings, but certainly vinyl is always cool to have as well as the picture sleeve which is always considered a collector's item.

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 10:10pm

I'm such a Romantics geek that I have four copies of this record. I also have five copies of the "Little White Lies/I Can't Tell You Anything" single (three on Spider, two on Bomp). Why do I keep buying them? Beats me ... but I do.

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 12:14am

Do you have both releases of Little White Lies/I Can't Tell You Anything on vinyl?

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 11:03pm

Yep. As I recall (haven't listened to them in quite a while), the Bomp version has a shortened intro to "Little White Lies." Not sure why that was done, but it does make it somewhat unique ... although I like the Spider version much better.

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #20 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 4:29am

I think you have it a little mixed up. There is no version of "Little White Lies" that I remember being released on bomp. There were two totally different versions of "Little White Lies/I Can't Tell You Anything" released on Spider. Both versions of each song are on "Meet The Romantics". The first version of the single was really raw and garage sounding (which I personally love) and these two sides are the last two studio tracks on" Meet The Romantics" if I remember correctly. The second version of those two songs, also released on Spider (and the first versions of these songs to appear on "Meet The Romantics") were more polished sounding but still rock. They were released with the exact same picture sleeve of the first released versions, so most people did not even realize that there were two totally different recordings of these two songs.

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #21 - Mar 23rd, 2005 at 12:07am

Maybe so. The way I always understood it, the second batch was released after the band briefly became part of Bomp's stable. Seems to me the label with the cobweb design is red on the second one instead of white. An old friend of mine, who was a Romantics junkie (and who has never appeared on this board, to my knowledge), was the one who gave me this info. All I remember is once, a million years ago (when I was about 18 or 19), asking Wally if he would sell me one of his original copies of "Lies." He said, "Maybe ... but which one?" I was like, HUH? That's when I looked into it and found out from my friend there were two. But I guess the Bomp part was in error? I just figured it was one of those deals where they sold out the first batch (wasn't there 1,000?), and then Bomp pressed up some more for them to sell while the four Bomp recordings were being done.

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #22 - Mar 23rd, 2005 at 4:11am

From what I remember (that was a lot of years ago) the reason that they re-recorded both songs was because of the criticism of the first release as being so raw and under produced sounding. Personally, I love the first versions for that very reason. It sounds like it came straight from the garage and I love that kind of stuff. The re-recorded versions still had the energy but sounded a lot cleaner. My two versions have the exact same color label, so the only way to tell which is which is to just listen to them. They also had the exact same sleeve.  I would guess that it is probably harder to find the first pressing.

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #23 - Mar 23rd, 2005 at 9:17pm

Interesting. Thing is, I haven't listened to all of mine. After I finally found my first one (white label) back in '80-something or so, I played it a few times (long intro) and then recorded it to cassette, and I don't even think that I played the others I bought simply because I thought I knew what they were. Maybe it's time to get them out again ...

You learn something new every day. Thanks, Oldfriend. And if I ever see my buddy again, I'll clear it up for him too. Wink

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 2:44am

OK, check this record out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4714434545&rd=1

It's a record of Wally & Jimmy from 1984 playing and talking about a bunch of songs that they like.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Aug 9th, 2005 at 2:35am

For any band directors out there, here's the sheet music for "Talking in Your Sleep" for a jazz band:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Talking-In-Your-Sleep-Romantics-Jazz-Band-with-Score_W0QQitemZ7341121931QQcategoryZ157QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

IP Logged

solodka
Ex Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Reply #26 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 6:58pm

Has anyone seen this drumset on Ebay?  Supposedly from the actual Romantics tour!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7544849028&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 9:18pm

Quote:
Has anyone seen this drumset on Ebay?  Supposedly from the actual Romantics tour!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7544849028&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Here's what he says about the drums:

These drums were custom built by Ludwig Drums for the tour and the album In The Pink by the Romantics to match the pink outfits and pink stage show.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.