Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Whatever happened to David Petratos? (Read 5684 times)
Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Whatever happened to David Petratos?
Feb 18th, 2005 at 11:27am

David Petratos took over as the Romantics' drummer after Jimmy Marinos left the band in 1984, and recorded one album (RHYTHM ROMANCE) with the Romantics.  He stayed with the band through the remainder of the 1980s until Clem Burke became the Romantics' third drummer in 1990.

Whatever happened to David Petratos?  Has he been heard from since his Romantics days?  I've read that during the late 1980s, he sang Jimmy's vocal parts during Romantics gigs, but did he sound anything like Jimmy?
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2005 at 12:51pm by Ken_Cheng »  

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Whatever happened to David Petratos?
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 11:43am

Actually, I have a whole show on video with Dave on drums from 1986 and he did sound similar on vocals when he sang Jimmy's parts. He of course also played left handed on a drum set that was set up for a right handed drummer, just like Jimmy did.

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 5:08am

I saw three shows during the David Petratos era and I thought his vocals sounded uncannilly similiar to Jimmys. Probably why the record company/management pushed for him to be in the band.  I still have a Cream magazine article where it was reported Detroit drummer Ralph Serafino was replacing Jimmy on drums, which obviously never happened, but I have never heard how the band found petratos.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2005 at 9:41am by N/A »  

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 9:32am

I, too, saw many shows with David on drums, and vocals - and he was amazing!  I, personally, really liked David . . . and thought he was a great person to fill Jimmy's shoes (that's not easy to do!).

Does anyone know what happened to him?

Lori

IP Logged

Timster2
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 11:53pm

Personally I always thought that David Petratos' vocals added to the shows.  In a way he sounded a lot like Jimmy, but I think he might have had a greater vocal range. 

Having two lead vocalists in a show is the only thing I think the band needs right now.

I asked Wally after a show in 1986 if they had had auditions to fill Jimmy's vacancy because I would've tried out (more or less to fulfill my fantasy of playing with them) if I had known where and when they were.  Wally said that the band's management had secured David's services and from what I've heard since then, he might not have been what the band wanted, but they had no say in the matter.

You got me bothered, You got me hot, I'm Hot & Bothered - I want what you got!

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 8:32pm

I asked Wally after the first non-David show I saw what happened. All he said was, "Oh, he went back home to Florida to be with his family." I wonder if he's playing in some local band somewhere now? Also, I have a copy of a live radio broadcast from late 1985, during the early weeks of the RR tour, and I've always felt David's vocals -- based on that -- weren't all that great. I didn't notice it during the shows I saw with him (totaling maybe six or seven), but this particular broadcast certainly didn't do him any favors.

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 9:04pm

Jimmy's shoes are a hard act to follow, although personally, I felt David did a good job. 

Lori

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 10:42am

I've never seen Dave Petratos play at all.  I sure wish I had seen Jimmy when he was with the band though... Tongue

IP Logged

dennis
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 11:52am

I saw him play with the Romantics at the Living Room in Providence R.I.  I remember being a little put off hearing him sing Jimmy's lead parts.  His voice was similar to Jimmy's, but his drum playing did not even come close.  I felt he was simply flailing about; really not into the music at all. Sad

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 2:01am

I was at a show in Cincinnati waaaaay back when (early 86?), and someone tossed a plastic beer pitcher that almost nailed David right in the face (Wally had seen it coming and ducked). Naturally, Dave got pissed off, but it was impossible to tell who threw it. My buddy looked at me and casually said, "Must have been a Jimmy fan."

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 3:50am

A meeting should have been called, problems worked out, differences put aside, apoligies made, hatched buried, egos dropped, and everything possible should have been done to keep Jimmy in the band.  Enough said.

IP Logged

scott

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 10:31am

The subject of Jimmy seems like such an incredibly complexed and somtimes bitter issue, both with the band and the fans. I became a Romantics fan in 1980. First show I seen was the now-famous Pine Knob show where the guys tossed their red leathers into the crowd...etc.  I've seen every version of the band since, except the latest with Brad. In my "joe nobody" opinion,  Jimmy was an irreplacable element. I have nothing but respect for Wally.  His talents, drive and leadership certainly keep the Jimmyless version of the band afloat. Marinos might have been the arrogant, over-the-top rock star of the band but he was powerful and unique. I've been to well over 400+ concerts and other than Josh Freeze of Perfect Circle/Paul Westerberg..etc and Fred Leblanc of Cowboy Mouth, nobody hit the skins as hard as Jimmy...

IP Logged

Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 2:25pm

Quote:
nobody hit the skins as hard as Jimmy...

I'll have a double helping of that.  Jimmy Marinos drummed with a ferocity that I've seen rivaled or surpassed only by the likes of Keith Moon, John Bonham, and Ringo Starr.  Good company.

IP Logged

Lori

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 10:25am

If you are just comparing apples to apples, then yep, Jimmy was the PERFECT accompaniment for The Romantics drummer, however, the personal stuff unfortunately took over and, as we all know, sometimes those things don't mend themselves.

Luckily, the band has survived.  Wally is an amazing talent, Coz an incredible guitarist, and Skill wonderful, as well.  Haven't seen Brad drum for the band, so can't really speak to him.

Lori

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 10:57am

Lori,

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you DO finally see Brad play-- he is friendly, funny, and definitely puts on a great show! (and his wife Chloe is just as nice!)  I can't compare him to Jimmy on the drums, as I have never had the honor of seeing Jimmy play except on videos... But to see him (Jimmy) on New Year's Eve singing, I imagine he is maniac on the drums as well! (You could definitely see his ego--all eyes were on him when he was on the stage!)

Personally, I like Brad Elvis better on the drums than Clem Burke-- Clem seemed "laid back" to me (personality-wise when he's playing) Smiley  Brad is a lot more fun to watch--and, it seems to me like he always knows where the camera is (at least when I'm taking photos--he seems to "pose" and make some funny faces for the camera... but then again, that may just be my imagination... Grin )

Grin

IP Logged

Ken_Cheng
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 11:39am

When Jimmy Marinos was in the Romantics, it was difficult to avoid the feeling that he was the band's frontman (although he sat in back at the drums).  Jimmy had rock star charisma by the truckload. 

As far as day-to-day management of band activities, however, Wally Palmar was probably the actual leader of the band...its musical director and public relations man.

Jimmy went out to seek greener pastures when it seemed that the Romantics had gotten as far as they would get on the trajectory they had embarked on.  It's unfortunate that solo stardom for Jimmy didn't materialize as the 80s wound down.

IP Logged

mymeka
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 8:26pm

Jimmy had/has 'rock star charisma', that's for sure.  He was pretty damn awesome to watch during the 80's - very electrifying.  I thought that the band couldn't get any better then - it was quite a time!

But, the only constant is change.  I thought David was a good replacement for Jimmy, and also liked Clem. 

Can't think who the drummer was when I saw The Romantics at the North Star Bar many months ago in Philly.  Lin??????????????

Lori

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 12:02am

Last night I just watched the show I have from April of 86 at the old Second Chance in Ann Arbor with Dave on drums. It's amazing how much Dave looked like Jimmy from a short distance when he was behind the drums, especially since he played a right handed kit left handed, just as Jimmy did. One thing I forgot about this show was what an excellent voice Dave had. He actually took the lead vocal on "Rock You Up" and added excellent back up vocals on many of the songs. His playing style is even very similar to Jimmy's. I wonder why he left the band so quickly. I forgot what a great fit he was with the Romantics, but they seem to find really excellent drummers when they need one, as is obvious whith Brad.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 12:17pm

Guess who was at the show at the Hard Rock Hotel in Hollywood yesterday?  OK, well maybe it would have been a bit tougher to answer had I not posted the question here! Wink

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #19 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 1:29am

Really, how interesting!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #20 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 9:55pm

Solodka, what's he doing now?  Is he still drumming?  How's his hair?

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #21 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 10:20pm

Well, I didn't know who he was at first!  I thought it was either Barry Manilow or Rod Stewart. Yes,  he still has all of his hair!  Looks like he has a ton of it!  And I think that he has a very lucrative tile business if I heard correctly.

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #22 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 11:31pm

Ha!  Did you get a photo of him?

"You crashed your car through the front door/I pulled you from the wreckage/You told me that you missed me/But you meant with the grill and hood."

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:15am

Yes, that would be interesting to see! Did you talk to him at all?

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #24 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:19am

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

BrewCity
God Member

Milwaukee

Milwaukee
Reply #25 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:41am

Iris, what the hell does that video have to do with Dave Petratos? 

Barry Manilow, maybe I can see a connection...........

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #26 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 8:58am

BrewCity wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 11:31pm:
Ha!  Did you get a photo of him?

No, I didn't.  Like I said, I didn't know who he was until later on!  By that time I didn't have my camera!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #27 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 8:59am

pinkbubelz wrote on Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:15am:

Yes, I talked to him for a bit.  He seems like a really funny guy!  Very nice and down to earth like the rest of the guys!

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #28 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 12:44pm

BrewCity wrote on Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:41am:
Iris, what the hell does that video have to do with Dave Petratos? 

Barry Manilow, maybe I can see a connection...........

That actually was meant for the silly videos thread!
Ooops! must have had too many windows open and posted in the wrong thread!!  LOL

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #29 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 12:45pm

solodka wrote on Apr 5th, 2006 at 8:59am:
pinkbubelz wrote on Apr 5th, 2006 at 4:15am:

Yes, I talked to him for a bit.  He seems like a really funny guy!  Very nice and down to earth like the rest of the guys!

Does he still play the drums at all? Maybe someone else at the show got a photo of him?

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #30 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 10:19pm

If OIAM didn't then I don't think so!  The head count at the show was somewhere around 800!  That's a lot of people out by the pool!  I wish I would have known who he was!  Like I said, I passed him a few times.  I need to be a better Romantics fan!  Maybe I should be punished for the missed opportunity?! Wink

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #31 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 10:34pm

800 people-- that sounds like fun! Smiley Although I'm not sure I'd even recognize him if I saw him in person...

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #32 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 1:31am

He looks exactly like a cross between Barry Manilow and Rod Stewart!  Lots of hair! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #33 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 8:56am

Not that either are good to look at (IMHO), but hopefully, he looks more like Barry than like Rod (I can't stand Rod!)

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #34 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 11:33am

Better than both and a lot younger!  But along those lines! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.