Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Local Music Happenings (Read 2273 times)
bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Local Music Happenings
Jan 21st, 2005 at 5:50pm

if you have never had a chance to see ? and the Mysterians, they will take the stage this Sunday (jan 23)@ the Winter Blast at 5pm on the Metro Times stage.
A lot of others appearing there that would be worth braving the cold for. (anyone know if the stage is outdoors?)

http://www.freep.com/entertainment/music/blastmusic21e_20050121.htm

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Re: Local Music Happenings
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 8:02pm

They showed of clip of the Twisting Tarantulas (a local rock-a-billy band-- they're fun to watch) this morning and they appeared to be well bundled up and playing outside, although that may have been just for Fox News and not the actual location of the stage....  It seems that most of the events are actually outside in the open--I'm guessing that the bands may be under some kind of tent--otherwise if there's snow, how would they be able to perform?

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 10:06pm

The bands will definitely be inside of heated tents. There is no way you could play outside in this weather. A guitar player with frozen hands would be pretty useless. Also, there is a tsunami relief show coming to the Emerald theater( I will post the date) with the Polish Muslims, the Earworms (formerly the Reruns), and a few other bands. Now that I think of it, if anyone locally sees this TODAY (the 21st), the Earworms will be performing live on Mitch Albom's radio show. The show starts at 3PM. (WJR I think).

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 7:40pm

for the locals who have had enough of the world series (whoever that might be!) and are looking for an alternative, you might want to check this out:

Detroit Film Theatre
IT CAME FROM DETROIT
Friday, October 27, 2006 8:00 PM

For one night only the DFT—In collaboration with the DIA exhibit American Music (photographs by Annie Leibovitz, Sept. 24  through Jan. 7th)—will host the premiere of It Came from Detroit, a new feature length documentary exploring the raw energy of bands such as The Detroit Cobras, The Hentchmen and Electric Six. The film chronicles the evolution of the Detroit garage scene from underground obscurity to rock and roll renaissance. The night will begin with a performance by The Dirtbombs at 6:30 in Rivera Court (free with museum admission), followed by the film screening at 8:00pm in the DFT. Immediately after the screening, The Witches and Outrageous Cherry will close the evening with more live Detroit rock on the DFT stage. Tickets for the theater portion of this special event are $10.

The Detroit Institute of Arts
5200 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI, 48202
USA

Phone: 313.833.4005

IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 6:53pm

Eric Burdon & The Animals
One of the seminal figures of the 1960s British Invasion during his tenure
with The Animals, this Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame member has charted 25
Top 40 hits. Friday November 17 at Macomb Center for the Performing Arts.

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 7:36pm

Isn't tonight also the LSUG at Saint Andrews?

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 8:48pm

Tonight should be kind of crazy for me. The Polish Muslims are playing at Shrine parish on 12 mile and Woodward tonight for a pre dream cruise kick off party. Well, Dave from the Polish Muslims called me up several days ago and says that their keyboard player can't make the show tonight and wanted to know if I could fill in. I would have been a lot more comfortable playing guitar, but I told Dave I would give it a shot. He sent me a song list so I dusted off the old Vox organ and have been trying to learn 30 plus songs. The Muslims will play 2 forty five minute sets starting around 7:30PM. Wish me luck!

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 10:11pm

You don't need luck!  You will be great!  Wish I could be there to come listen!  Let us know how it goes! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 12:33am

Had a blast! I actually got through it quite well. Did a little extra homewrok before the show. I had a guy ask me about one of my keyboards, the Vox Continental organ. That was the organ that was featured on records like the Animal's "House Of THe Rising Sun" and Elvis Costello's "Pump It Up". The guy who asked me about that keyboard was the guy who played keyboards on the original garage hit "Farmer John". He loved the sound of that organ as I do as well. Nothing else sounds like a Vox Continental. He was surprised to hear that I have had that keyboard since I got it new about 40 years ago. THe Polish Muslims play again next Friday, the 24th, at Four Greenfields Irish Pub on 13 Mile and Woodward.

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 10:17pm

The Polish Muslims do their annual Christmas show this Friday the 14th at the Magic Bag. I'm going to see them for sure. It will be a blast. Opening the show is the Earworms, who are really the Reruns from the old days at Bookies and Traxx. I think Stewart Francke is also on the show.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 9:54am

My hubby's band, Ask Alice, is finally playing out and about!!! Smiley Come out and see them sometime!!!
They are a cover band and are currently playing around the west side of Detroit (soon to be playing on the east side as well.) They've got a gig this Friday and it's free--I would love to see some of my Romantics friends out at the show! Smiley

http://www.myspace.com/askaliceband

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 12:11am

Both of my sons play in different bands these days. Mike who plays guitar  in Alucard(and will also be touring and playing  guitar with band called A Wilhelm Scream which is touring Europe in Jan. and Feb.), and my son Jeff who drums in The Weakend and Junecast, got together recently with  a friend named Shane Hales who sings and plays bass . These three guys plus Ryan Collins from Alucard(guitar) had a punk/pop band several years back called One Hump Chump. After being pressured last May at Cactus Jacks in Utica (they all happened to be there one night) to go up and play a few songs on the spot and seeing the people go pretty crazy, they decided to rehearse once and do a show to see how it would go. They played last Saturday (the night of the blizzard) at a frat house at U of M. To say the place went nuts over them would be putting it mildly. They had a great turnout despite the weather(more on that in a minute). People they hadn't seen in years turned out and sang along on every song. The band played their whole cd plus a couple more songs that were recorded but never released. Because the show went so well, they are talking about doing another show, this time closer to home since many of their old fans stayed home because of the weather. I got the whole thing videotaped and will post some of it on Youtube if I can ever figure out how to do that. The show was great. Then came the attempt to drive home. We left Ann Arbor at around 4 AM. When we hit M14, the snow was coming down so hard and the wind was so high that you could not see 2 feet in front of your car. Driving in those conditions was one of the scariest things I have ever done. Cars in ditches everywhere because you could not tell where the road was. It took over an hour just to get to 275 because you had to just creep along at about 10 miles an hour. We finally got home around 7:30 that morning. I don't ever want to do that again, but I am looking forward to another One Hump Chump show.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 10:44pm

Oldfriend-- I feel your pain on driving in snow storms-- it seems like every time my husband, Eric's band, Ask Alice plays,
they have a snow storm or some weird weather condition....(blizzard, frozen rain, fog... etc.)

Ask Alice has been gigging like crazy since they started playing out November 30th.
Everyone who has heard them has commented on how tight their sound is...
they even have 2 gigs in Mackinac Island over Memorial Day weekend!!!
(Can't wait, but I hope the weather is good!)

I'm having a birthday party at their gig on March 15th at Wonderland Lanes in Commerce, MI.
Local Romantics fans are welcome to come and party with us!

For supporters of Breast Cancer research,

ChickFest 2008

is happening on
March 14th

at the
Rochester Brewing Company

Ask Alice

will be debuting 8 of their originals at that gig...
This should be a fun time--lots of original music at ChickFest 2008!
(including a couple of songs my hubby wrote about my first Breast Cancer 3 Day walk...)

Cost: Donations to the
Susan G Komen's Race for a Cure

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2008 at 12:14am

Sounds like a wonderful event for a great cause!!!!!!!!!!  Wish I could be there, but I will be traveling! Sad

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

PIRATE
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

SANTA FE SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA
Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 1:08pm

yes when traveling, and traveling often you will see and come across the oddiest things and all sorts of weather.

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #15 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 10:53pm

Anyone in the area checking out the Hamtramck blowout?

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Sunny South Florida
Reply #16 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 10:17am

What's going on in Hamtramck?

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #17 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 12:42am

Did anyone go to the SXSW?

My sister and brother went down there (she's promoting an east coast band)... and they really enjoyed it. I may have to find a way to go there next year... Lots of great parties and artists, from what they told me! Wink

I was unfortunately, too busy with work to go to the Hamtramck Blowout... Maybe next year we'll get out there to check out all of the local talent!  Did anyone else go?

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

oldfriend
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 10:40pm

My son Mike, who played guitar in Alucard and is now a member of A Wilhelm Scream, will be at the Magic Stick on Wednesday April 16th with a band called The Unseen. A Wilhelm Scream, after finishing  their American tour, will be going back to Europe in May, starting that tour in Moscow, and playing about a dozen different countries including Germany, Spain, Italy France, Croatia, and a huge festival in Belgium. Then in June it's off to Australia. In July it's a tour of Canada, and then in the fall, it's off to South America. You can see their latest video for a song called "I Wipe My Ass With Showbiz" from the new album on their Myspace site or on Youtube. It's pretty funny.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Reply #19 - May 29th, 2008 at 1:08am

Hey all, my  hubby's band will be playing at Scores Sports bar & grill  in Farmington Hills on May 31. Smiley
Right now, they play mostly covers, but they are sneaking in a few of their originals into the set as well....

LMK came out to see them not long ago-- if you come out again, please say "hi!" to me... Smiley

*** hint, hint... LMK? Bookies? ****

pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.