Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Susan G. Komen 3-Day / 60 Mile Breast Cancer Walk (Read 864 times)
pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Susan G. Komen 3-Day / 60 Mile Breast Cancer Walk
Jan 3rd, 2005 at 10:55pm

Hi Everyone....

I was asked recently by someone from the message board to re-post the info on the 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk that I will be participating in this July, 2005.... Smiley

For those of you who are not aware, I will be walking in the
3-day, 60 mile walk
to raise money for the
Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
and the National Philanthropic Trust
on the weekend of July 15-17, 2005.

On each of the 3 days, I will be walking 20 miles, for a total of 60 miles....

In order for me to walk in this event, I have to raise a minimum of $2,100 money....
So far, I've been pledged about $650....

Donors can opt to
donate in installments or in 1 lump sum....
(there is a form you can download from the web site if you would like to donate installments or if you prefer not to use a credit card for your donation.)

This is a very important cause--you never know who could be
affected by breast cancer.... it could be a friend or a relative,
and can strike women (and men!) of all ages....

Please support me as I take an amazing journey in the fight against breast cancer! The Breast Cancer 3-Day is a 60-mile walk over the course of three days, July 15-17, 2005. Net proceeds benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the National Philanthropic Trust, funding important breast cancer research, education, screening, and treatment.

Here is the link to my web page for anyone who is interested in helping to find a cure for Breast Cancer!!  

http://www.the3day.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=61809&u=61809-62093651

Or, you can go to the main site for the 3-Day:

http://www.the3day.org

Then click on the Michigan date,
and in the left hand side, you'll see a column that says "Sponsor a Participant".
Type in "Iris" (I'm the only Iris in Michigan) and it will bring you to my sponsorship  web page as well.

Each person who donates at least $60 will receive a small piece of my artwork or photography!

Thanks for your support!

--Iris

P.S.   I am also looking for other people to walk in the 3-Day with me!
   Each walker pays $95 (it covers your food and lodging in tents for 3 days/2 nights during the walk) and must also raise $2,100 per person.... My team is called "Team Think Pink".   I would love to have at least 2 other people walk with me!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Re: Susan G. Komen 3-Day / 60 Mile Breast Cancer W
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 8:37pm

Thanks to those who are sponsoring me! Smiley  The pledges are starting to show up on my website! Wink

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
2006 - Susan G. Komen 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk
Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 12:56pm

Hi Everyone,

Summer is flying by!!! These feet were made for walking... I've walked 590.2 training miles for the Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk since January 14, 2006 (I figured out that it works out to be about 4-5 weeks of 40 hour work weeks in terms of walking time...

Last year, the message board members were quite generous in their donations to both myself and LMK....

I just put together a quick little website for the 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk and would love to get some feedback on it--this is only my 2nd website and my first attempt at "blogging". Although it's quite basic, I hope you like it!

http://www.geocities.com/pinkbubelz

If anyone is on the east side of the Detroit Area and wants to come and check out the walk in Michigan and to cheer me and my team on, it's happening this weekend (August 11-13, 2005)!  I am walking with 7 other teammates from Stoney Creek Metro Park on Friday, August 11, to Metro Beach Metropark on Sunday Afternoon. The weather is supposed to be beautiful, so keep your fingers crossed that it will stay that way!  Check with Eric to see if he's going to gather some people at the end of the walk-- might be a good day out at the beach for those of you with kids!

Eric is coordinating our friends for the cheering stations, just show up at the cheering stations and look for our black minivan with the pink ribbon and MSU Alumni sticker on the back.  If he gets it done in time, he's also going to sell some CDs of music he created just for my walk (as well as pink ribbon items such as the pink rubber bracelets, pink ribbon pins, and some of my handmade pins, watercolors and handmade limited edition monoprints (i.e. NOT a computer generated "print").

For details on the cheering station locations as well as the closing ceremonies at Metro Beach, go to my website and I've posted links with the details.... Smiley

http://www.geocities.com/pinkbubelz/

Of course, I'm still trying to make my fundraising goals, so I definitely would appreciate donations to my walk as well (see below as well as more details on my website).

I hope to see some of my friends out on the route this weekend!

Think Pink!

Iris Shen-Van Buren
irissvb@msu.edu

Help find a cure for Breast Cancer!
I will be walking 60 miles (20 miles each day) on August 11-13, 2006 in the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk.

This year's walk is dedicated to Grandma Ann Van Buren, who passed away in August, 2005 (just before her 95th Birthday).  She was a many decade survivor of Breast Cancer.

This is my second walk--last year, I raised $2,800 towards Breast Cancer Research.  My goal this year is to raise $5,000! Please help me reach that goal! Currently, I have raised $2,117 and am still taking donations towards my $5,000 goal.

My teammates and I hope to raise at least $30,000 towards Breast Cancer (So far, we've raised over $19,299.78 as a team!)

As of August 9, 2006, I have walked 590.19 miles in training, which makes me very close to my original goal of walking 600 miles before the 3-Day Walk!! Wink.  Now, I just need to reach my fundraising goal!

It's not to late to make a donation! I can continue to receive donations even after my walk is over.
To make a donation towards my walk and to help me reach my goal, please check out my Donation Page!
http://www.the3day.org/Michigan06/irissvb2006

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2006 at 10:58pm

i am planning on driving out for the closing ceremonies to show my support for iris and all of the walkers hard work.
if anyone would like a ride, directions etc, just pm me before 2 pm as that is around the time i am planning on leaving.
come on peeps, they walked 60 miles!!!

the least we can do is drive a few! Cool

IP Logged

solodka
God Member

Always a butterfly lover!

Sunny South Florida
Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2006 at 11:40pm

I couldn't be there, but I did my part and donated!   I hope everyone did their part!!!!! Smiley

solodkasertze  
IP Logged

pinkbubelz
God Member

A Chick & an Artist at
Heart!

Romantics City! (Detroit, MI)
Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 10:36am

Bookies,
I REALLY appreciated seeing you at closing ceremonies!!!
Did you ever find Rebecca?  I tried to find you right after I saw you for a picture, but you had all vanished so quickly that I missed you!!!

Eric told me you slipped away when he turned around as well...

We couldn't have asked for better weather at this year's walk.  I even somehow was blessed with winning the quilt made by a crew member...

I hope to walk again in 2007 and will use the quilt in my tent (at least that is the plan for now! Wink

--Iris

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! ~ Galaxy Quest&&&&A Romantics Fanatic since the tender age of 14...
pinkbubelz pinkbubelz  
IP Logged

bookies_original
Global Moderator

Tigers Town!
Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 5:46pm

yes, i lost track of eric and your friend so then i started looking for rebecca but never did find her!
Congratulations on winning the quilt!  I couldn't believe it when I heard your name called.  That is the only way I found Eric and you!
Anyhow, I am so proud of you and I felt moved to be there when you finished.  You are an inspiration Iris.  I don't think people really understand the feat you accomplished which to me is amazing.
Thank you for all that you do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.