Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
MEET THE ROMANTICS (Read 1657 times)
PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: MEET THE ROMANTICS
Reply #15 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 10:30pm

thanks old friend....i got mine on the 28th....i love it!!!

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

Kevin64
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 3:15am

Just got mine !!! I can't tell you how much I,and I'm sure the rest of us here at the board appreciate what you have done for us,Oldfriend. A million thanks !!!!!

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!

IP Logged

Kevin64
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 1:37am

I have listened to this disc 10 times since yesterday,and I am totally blown away by it.The reason The Romantics have always been one of my favorite bands is the way they have always captured the sound of mid-sixties rock n roll bands,and these songs prove they are the only band that has even come close to capturing the excitement and feel of that era. Songs like "Lets Swing" and "You Reallly Got A Hold Of My Heart" sound like British Invasion music from an era long gone.
Listening to the live tracks reminded me of The Beatles Star Club tapes with the raw excitement of a small club show,and all the echo on the vocals.
This is a disc that I will treasure,and play often.
THANKS,OLDFRIEND !!!!!!!!

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!

IP Logged

lmk
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 5:00am

I can't stop playing the cd, either, Kevin.  I find myself humming the tunes even if I'm not listening to the cd!

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #19 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 12:29pm

Thanks for the update oldfriend.  I imagine it will be in my box any day now.  Oh the anticipation...  8)

IP Logged

Kevin1
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #20 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 9:13pm

Got mine, Thursday. Thanks, Oldfriend! I have to echo what Kevin64 wrote -- it's amazing how much the demo songs sound like the first Kinks record, etc. It was especially interesting to hear that early version of "Gimme One More Chance;" I have been familiar with the early Bomp stuff and "White Lies" and "Tell You Anything" from Spider/Bomp for years, and that version sounded like it was done right alongside them. And, man, did they ever do a lot with the backing vocals back in those days. Thanks again, Oldfriend ... it was worth the wait!

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 9:55pm

Yeah, I love it too!   Smiley  That "Gimme One More Chance" version really has a cool funky beat.  And "What I Like About You" sounds like Jimmy is just making up the words as he goes along.  This entire thing is a great relic.  Thanks again for sharing this with us, oldfriend.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 10:15pm

My hubby & I decided that the many of the songs on your CD reflect a strong influence from the Beatles as well.... Kevin is right-- the vocal harmonies are very strong on these recordings....

Oldfriend-- did you ever tell us when these were recorded (i.e.-- do you know the actual dates of the soundboard and studio recordings?)

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 4th, 2005 at 2:03am

I got mine on Friday!  I have listened to it over and over.  I love it!!!  Love the words on "What I Like About You".   I  really like hearing "Take Me Out of the Rain" live.   What a special thing to have.  THANKS SO MUCH OLDFRIEND!!!  This really helps me get over the depression of missing the NYE show!!

IP Logged

Pac-Man
Ex Member

Chomping Away

Reply #24 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 11:24am

I received my copy today.  All I can say is a big thanks for this treat.  The weather has stunk this week where I live.  It is in the 20s and the entire area I live in is an ice skating rink (black ice).  It makes my drive to work just so much fun.  Getting this in the mail today just made my week so much better.  The music on the CD is great.  I just can't say enough good things about this.  Thanks so much!   8)  8)

IP Logged

Rob
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 12:05am

I too notice how important backing vocals were on the early stuff.  I truly believe the Romantics sorely missed Rich Coles backing vocals after he was asked to leave the band.

When I hear the old stuff , I realize how much potential this band had if the four original members would have stayed together, and some better decisions had been made along the way.

IP Logged

Lisa_G.
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #26 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 3:29am

Oh, shoot!  OldFriend, I must have been away or something when you asked us for addresses to send the CD.  I wasn't on here when the "crash" occured.   I would really like to have a copy of this if you would be so kind to send me one if you can.  If you reply back to me I will get you my address and such via email.  THANK YOU!!!!! Kiss

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 7:13am

rob, i couldnt agree more Sad

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 7:16am

Listening to them on New Year's Eve, I thought that I wouldn't mind seeing them as a 6 piece band.... :-D

I played Meet the Romantics for my mom-- she even said she would love to hear them play! Smiley  I think it's because it sounds very "Beatles-y". ...

IP Logged

PIRATE
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #29 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 11:53am

old friend.......i back everyones joys of the cd.......its a special piece to our collections.....and you are so appreciated.....thanks so much!!

"if thy pour ith..thy shall drink ith"&&"if thy post ith...thy shall count ith"&&2071 plus current

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.