Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Day After Thanksgiving Shopping!!! (Read 332 times)
bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Day After Thanksgiving Shopping!!!
Nov 26th, 2004 at 6:33pm

ok, this is the first time in my life i have ever attempted to do any shopping the day after thanksgiving!

i woke up at 5am, got to my first store at 5:45 where the line was already wrapped around the entire building and local police were there keeping things in order.
after one look, i turned around and headed for my second store.

there was virtually NO parking places (best buy) so i had to parallel park (which i stink at).  the line there too was wrapped around the building and headed out of the parking lot.  i braved the cold though and assumed my position in line.  i was listening to others speak of their tales of the day so far (keep in mind it is only just now after 6am) while we tried to keep warm and pass the time.  the store was only allowing a limited number of customers in at a time so i knew i was in for a long, cold wait.  luckily i had dressed for the occasion so (oh btw, its 29 degrees out and the wind chill makes it feel line 22)
at any rate, i patiently waited about 40 minutes in the line then decided i had had enough. 
back into my car i climbed, blasted the heat and went home.....empty handed.

how does anyone find this experience fun?
i will never attempt another shopping day on black friday.

IP Logged

lmk
Ex Member

Re: Day After Thanksgiving Shopping!!!
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 9:36pm

Oh my, bookies!   Cheesy

I hadn't done the 'day after' shopping in many years, but tried it today.  I woke up at 5:30, and got to Marshall Field's Fairlane at 6.  No problems parking, and I was able to get a few things on my list, but the down comforters for $19.99 any size were LONG gone by 6:15! Didn't have too wait too long in line at the cashier's, either.  I came home and went back to bed.  There are a lot of good deals all weekend long, so I'll go back tomorrow.

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2004 at 11:31pm

NO THANK YOU!!!  I gave that up many years ago.  Of course, this is the first time in 12 years that I have not been at the beach for Thanksgiving.  We are off to the Christmas tree farm to choose and cut our own tree!!  Should be a fun day.  They have hot chocolate and hot cider, and the kids get to pick their own Charlie Brown tree for free.

IP Logged

BrewCity
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2004 at 5:41am

My insane wife got up today at 3:45 am, picked up her insane sister and her insane mother before 5:00, and hit the first store by 5:30 when it opened.  They stopped off at home for two minutes to unload shortly after noon.  It is now 5:40 pm and they are still at it.  I am not expecting to see her until after I go to bed tonight.

Beat that story!   Tongue

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 10:44pm

Bookies--i agree with you!

Last year, we braved the insanity to run to Staples at 7:30 to pick up a new printer for my dad (and ourselves).  The store had opened at 7 am-- the lines were about 50 people long and the shelves were stripped bare.....

I think I now know what it feels like to be a "looter" during a riot!!!  The people around us were insane!!! It is a wonder that there are not a lot of fighting incidents and "shoppers rage" on the day after Thanksgiving!

My response... Thanks, but no thanks... I'd rather be sleeping in... I'll head to the stores during mid-week rather than the weekends, I'd rather shop at my own leisure than to fight the crowds for hours for a couple of "bargains"... As one of my friends says, "Time costs money and is a precious commodity".  If I had gone to the stores, I would not have been able to spend the day with my brother & sister who were visiting from out of town!

IP Logged

Kevin64
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 9:09am

Here's something you guys might want to try next year.It has always worked for me,and I never have to worry about parking or long lines.I follow one simple rule on the day after Thanksgiving:
I DON'T LEAVE MY HOUSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah!!!!

IP Logged

gbabyjr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 4:35pm

I agree with you, Kevin!!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:14pm

Well, We're usually in "food coma" any ways... Wink

Only went to the store for a few minutes because it was necessary-- but thankfully, we were NOT at the mall, so we didn't get trampled! Cheesy

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2004 at 6:37am

kevin, that is usually my approach to the day after thanksgiving but this year i thought i would change my routine.
like they say:
go with what you know Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.