Welcome, Guest. Please Login

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Ring in the New Year w/the Romantics! (Read 4128 times)
oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Ring in the New Year w/the Romantics! **new in
Reply #60 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 2:16am

They may say no video cameras but Rich and I have a little something up our sleeves so we will just wait and see what happens. If we get the camera in, it will definitely be rolling. They will have to throw me out of the place before I turn it off.

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 3:38am

You might want to talk to Web and see if they can help you out.

--Iris

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #62 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 12:17pm

Well kids, it looks like I am the first one back from the show. The others are probably still there, but myself, my wife , Rich and his son left a little after midnight. All I can say is, and I am not trying to rub it in, but those of you who could not make really missed something special if you are a Romantics fan. The set started hot (I will have to review the tape to get the set list in order) and just got hotter as it went. After several songs Rich came out and played on "A Night Like This" and a few more. Rich finished the rest of the set, but the real highlight was (Rich might kill me for this) when Jimmy took the stage at the end of the set for "Rock You Up" and "What I Like about You". I won't try to put into words how cool this was. You had to be there. Jimmy took the center mike and was as animated as could be. I got to talk to him for a while in the dressing room after the show and he was as nice as could be. We talked about how we played together about 25 years ago in New York and one day of that weekend we spent at a record convention all day watching film clips of 60s rock bands and girl groups. Jimmy must have made a deal with the devil. He looks like he looked on american bandstand almost 25 years ago. Skinny as ever, pitch black long hair kind of spiked, and not a wrinkle to be seen. He says he still bangs the drums at home and has all of his chops and I believe it. The rest of the band played great as well, and it was cool to see how well Jimmy and Brad got along. This was one great show kids, and it was fantastic to see Wally, Jimmy, Rich, Mike, Coz and Brad all up there at once.  The encore song was "Get Down And Get With It". I had heard this song by Slade, but Jimmy told me after the show that this is in fact a Little Richard Song. In a nutshell, this was one of the most memorable if not the most memorable show I have ever seen by the Romantics. Fabulous!!!!!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 2:12pm

Oldfriend!!!

LMK, Judy & I looked for you all night!

LMK, my hubby & my friend Bill and I just got home a few minutes ago....We decided to stay and watch Was (Not Was) and then headed to Como's for pizza.... Smiley  Very yummy and hit the spot!

I took about 100 pictures-- will be going to Web on Monday to go over them with Web_Girl.... Smiley 

So sorry we missed you-- I had a little surprise myself-- I make some Romantics Calendars for our message board friends, so we were a bit disappointed not to have been able to say hi before the show....

Email me your addy & I'll send you one! Smiley

--Iris

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 2:17pm

BTW--
the show was the best I've seen this past year....
It's too bad they couldn't make the band into a 6-piece band! Wink

I was very excited to hear and see Jimmy perform, even though it would have been even more fun if he could have played drums for at least 1 song (What I Like About You-- it rocked!!!)

All I can say is that if he was this energetic this evening, I'm truly sorry that I never got to see him perform in his younger years!!  I definitely think he "stole the show" with his high energy!

BTW--all of the guys were in top form tonight-- and I guess Wally's seen LMK, Bookies and me enough times that he instantly said-- "Oh! It's the Message Board fans!"  Smiley  Definitely made us feel welcome as usual!

I think the band "Grand Nationals" got the short end of the stick tonight, as many people took off before they got on stage.... (including us!)

More tomorrow!!

IP Logged

oldfriend
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #65 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 6:39pm

Rich let us in through the side stage door and we stayed there most of the night, although I walked through the crowd from the stage to the back of the hall twice looking for you guys! I don't know how I missed you. Anyway, just to be safe, with security people all over the place, I stayed on the side of the stage where Rich was and had to shoot the video from there, but I got some great close-ups of everyone including some nice clear unobstructed footage of Jimmy. In fact, about half way through the set, before he went on, Jimmy was mugging a little for the camera on the side of the stage. I can't wait to take a look at this tape. It will have to wait for a little while. It is 7:30 am and I am just now going to bed. What a night!

IP Logged

lmk
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 8:55pm

What a great night.  The Romantics certainly did not disappoint!  The meet and greet was very nice, and actually all of the guys gave us a warm welcome.  I think I may finally have a picture of me with my longtime crush, Mike!  (Iris, you know I will need a print of that one)  Chloe, Brad's wife (she is so sweet) took a pic of me with Brad, so I hope to see that one too.  

The set was hot, as oldfriend put it.  Really great.  Rich got a great reception when he took the stage, and he seemed like he was having fun.  I can't tell you how cool it was to see Jimmy back on stage again!  He looks the same, maybe his hair is a little shorter than back in the 80's, but, wow!  What a wild man.  Wink  

Oldfriend, I did see you with your camera in the wings off stage.  I bet that tape is going to be incredible!

Thanks, Romantics, Rich, Jimmy, Holly, Heather and my message board buddies for making this my best NYE ever.  What a great way to start my new year!  Grin
Lynn

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Jan 1st, 2005 at 11:03pm

Oldfriend... it's too bad we missed you last night!!!

Bookies thought she saw you, but when I went up to the stage, I think it was too dark for you to see me in front (with my big camera--as usual!)  Smiley

I haven't yet downloaded my pictures... keeping my fingers crossed that they turn out well! Smiley

I took about 100 pictures-- the last 25 went by in a snap!

Won't have time to download today, but I will in the next few days... Smiley

I, for one would LOVE to see your video Oldfriend!!

If you decide to have a "viewing party", I will volunteer to cook up some good food for the Message Board friends!

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 12:38am

yes that was by far the MOST memorable show i have ever witnessed!!
words cannot even do it justice because it truly left me speechless.  seeing rich and jimmy back with wally and mike brought back a lot of great memories (nothing personal against brad or coz) that i will NEVER forget!

with 2004 over, i would be remiss if i let the year end without acknowledging a few special people:

i would just like to thank holly and heather for EVERYTHING!

lynn, iris and oldfriend---i am so glad i have come to know all of you and share our love for this band.

brad & chloe-you are by far two of the nicest people i have ever met!

Hope we see a lot more of each other in 2005!!

IP Logged

pinkbubelz
Ex Member

Re: Ring in the New Year w/the Romantics!
Reply #69 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 1:36am

Hear, hear!!!

I'm raising a virtual champagne glass to Bookies list...

Of course, Wally, Mike & Coz are included on the Nicest people list as well! Smiley

IP Logged

lmk
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 4:58am

Just wanted to also thank Iris for the message board calendar.  That was really thoughtful of you.   Smiley

I keep reliving the show in my head today.  Can't get over the image of Jimmy being wild and crazy.

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #71 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 5:02am

yeah lmk, jimmy was so much fun to watch!  he reminded me of the early iggy pop.
check out this site for a snapshot of the cd he did with the motor city rockers:
http://www.motorcityjams.com/mcr-releases.html

robert gillespie was there too with jimmy and i was hoping he would take the stage with the band but that wasn't to be.  i guess it was strictly a "romantics" nye extravaganza!

IP Logged

dennis
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #72 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 6:59am

Thank you all for sharing your experiences of the Romantics' NYE show.  I can't wait to see the photos.   Now the big question, when will they hit the west coast again?!!

and south carolina?!!!!

IP Logged

bookiesoriginal
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 9:50pm

as i remove the last of the decorations from my christmas tree, i reflect upon 2004 and consider myself so blessed, lucky, fortunate and all other synonyms applicable to have seen the romantics NYE show!  i am still basking in the afterglow of the whole event and at times even find myself dwelling on the bittersweet aspect of seeing rich, jimmy, mike and wally together again.  thanks guys for the music and the memories! Grin

IP Logged

dennis
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #74 - Jan 2nd, 2005 at 11:51pm

Nah, Bookies,

The next time I see the Romantics play - that will be the "best" show!  I just think they keep getting better and better.

(but I will agree, having the opportunity to see Rich and Jimmy play with the Romantics again would be very special)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

The Romantics Message Board » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.